fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Mine is set at 75 degrees day and night. Probably higher than most peoples im guessing. I also keep all the blinds closed (to not let the heat of the sun in as much) and almost never wear a shirt or shoes or socks and only wear shorts typically with no underwear ;)

Ugh. Mine is 67 during the day and 70 at night. Why? Because we only have one zone (house was built that way) and 67 during the day is about 75 upstairs as a result…and I’m not shelling out something like $12,000 for a whole nother zone.

Where we've set the thermostat has varied based on where we've lived and also different within the house. We set it to what feels comfortable. Typically the second floor is set to 74, maybe 75 in the winter, the main floor is set to 75 in the summer and like 72 or 73 in the winter, and the basement is set to 70 in the winter and pretty irrelevant in the summer since the basement only has heat. I try to set it to 72 just to circulate air, but it can get pretty hot at least in my office underneath the garage. These numbers are meaningless, though, as I don't think what the thermostat actually says correlates with how it feels, which is why we've set the floors to different temperatures.

I've been really good this year and set it at 72-3 during the day when I'm mostly not here (other people are), 70 in the evening and 68 at night.

If I lived alone it would never be above 70 when I was at home but in spring and fall I'd run it at 66-68 when I was at home and 62-64 at night.

I sleep so much better when I'm colder. Science backs that up, so it's not just a weird me thing.

In the winter it's set to 65 or so. In summer, we only have room air conditioners. Most rooms are low-mid 70s when they have been running for a while.

In the winter it's set to 65 or so. In summer, we only have room air conditioners. Most rooms are low-mid 70s when they have been running for a while.
Are these window mounted room air conditioners or the roll around kind?

Those roll around air conditioners are extraordinarily inefficient so if at all possible I'd suggest migrating to window mounted units or look into mini-split units.

Mine is set at 75 degrees day and night. Probably higher than most peoples im guessing. I also keep all the blinds closed (to not let the heat of the sun in as much) and almost never wear a shirt or shoes or socks and only wear shorts typically with no underwear ;)
85 but I keep all my windows and doors open and walk around naked. I did plant some poplars for shade and add a pond so in a few years if the HOA doesn't sue me and force me out for various reasons I should have my own little oasis.

85 but I keep all my windows and doors open and walk around naked. I did plant some poplars for shade and add a pond so in a few years if the HOA doesn't sue me and force me out for various reasons I should have my own little oasis.
I love your sig lol.

For winter I set mine at like 65.
I love those fall and spring periods where I dont use heat or AC and my gas and electric bills are both low. Its the best.

Are these window mounted room air conditioners or the roll around kind?

Those roll around air conditioners are extraordinarily inefficient so if at all possible I'd suggest migrating to window mounted units or look into mini-split units.
Window-mounted. You can't truly cool something without the heat going somewhere else.

My goodness. That’s way high. Although, your utilities are probably a lot better than mine. My wife and I are snobs. We keep the blinds closed and keep it at 69-71. 69 at night cuz we both sleep better when it’s cold. Usually around 70-71 during the day.

Winter? About the same. Rarely goes above 71.

Summer in the daytime if I am home is around 75-80. My house is a AC unit in each room now. If I am not home everything is off. I almost never wear clothes at home except maybe underwear to answer the door for deliveries. At night I need it cold so I turn the AC in the bedroom on, I dont really know the temp but it gets pretty cold. In the winter I dont really care, I leave the heat off. The neighbors heat keeps my place at about 65-70. When i lived in the US I usually set my temp at 60 for night in the winter and 68 in the summer.

Unfortunately our AC is really old and about the best you can usually hope for in an inefficient house is 30 degrees or so cooler than outside temp, so I in the summer we usually float between 78 and 82 with the AC running full bore. We take advantage of the nights and get the house down to about 70 and hope to hold it there for most of the day.

When it's not stupid hot here we have ours set at 74 during the day and 68 at night. @Gameface is right, people tend to sleep better when it's colder. So we usually have fans running in various rooms around the house all the time, and 2 in the bedroom at night.

Summer in the daytime if I am home is around 75-80. My house is a AC unit in each room now. If I am not home everything is off. I almost never wear clothes at home except maybe underwear to answer the door for deliveries. At night I need it cold so I turn the AC in the bedroom on, I dont really know the temp but it gets pretty cold. In the winter I dont really care, I leave the heat off. The neighbors heat keeps my place at about 65-70. When i lived in the US I usually set my temp at 60 for night in the winter and 68 in the summer.
That's a good point. When I lived in an old apartment in Zion, Illinois they had radiators run off a central boiler. It was a super cold winter and I never once turned my heat on and sometimes I had to open a window. Everyone else kept my place much warmer than I ever would have wanted to.

That's a good point. When I lived in an old apartment in Zion, Illinois they had radiators run off a central boiler. It was a super cold winter and I never once turned my heat on and sometimes I had to open a window. Everyone else kept my place much warmer than I ever would have wanted to.
Generally here in northern China you pay for heat with one cheapish price and it's turned on for a pre set period of time and it doesn't matter how much you use. I'm pretty sure lots of people just turn it on full all the time. My first year with that I paid and turned every thing to the lowest setting. My apartment was still 85 degrees in the middle of the winter. I can't sleep in that so I had to turn the AC on (way too noisy to open the windows), it was very big waste. So after that I just stopped paying for heat, worse case the AC units have a heat setting.

We've got radiators in my house, and I've been very happy with the warmth in the winter.