What's new

What position should Favors play long term?

What position should Favors play long term?

• Total voters

The Midnight

#Baby_Talk
Contributor
Case for PF

- Favors has improved a lot offensively this year IMO. He has a number of moves down low now that he can go to and he is hitting those mid range shots with more regularity.

- I think he is a much better offensive player than we give him credit for.

- May be he isn't quick enough defensively at this position, but if Dirk and Aldridge can do it, why can't he?

- I remembered hearing Locke say that Favors is the smallest C in the NBA (can we win a 'Chip that way?)

I think he should go back to the PF position in the long term. He is outmatched defensively at the C position. Just not dominant enough defensively to anchor that position. Gobert has that potential long term. I would rather start Gobert at C, Favors at PF, and Kanter the scoring big off the bench. Favors played the PF position before when we had Big Al and I think he can get back to that shape if he needs to.

I've been having very similar thoughts. I feel like he's smallish for a center. If we are going to experiment, I don't see why not try him at PF with a bigger Gobert at C. The spacing is probably going to get totally screwed but... oh well...

Favors wants to play power forward. I don't have the link, but if you find his last interview from last year he specifically said he wants to play PF and feels more comfortable. With his improved jump shot I want to see him at the 4.

A distinction without a difference. He is a big man with certain skills and you try to take advantage of those. DL has said that center vs pf does not matter, they are just bigs and you mix and match with abilities.

"I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to stand there. You're also not allowed to guard that guy. You're a PF. Also, we don't want you at C because then that guy over there would guard you, you know, because he's a C, too. It will help us strip away their competitive edge by taking away their ability to have him guard you by calling you the PF. So just go take your place over there and we'll explain this all later with Xs and Os -- or PFs and Cs."

Hopefully now that we're probably out of playoff contention I hope Quin is willing to try some new things with this team and I think this is a good one to try.

"I'm sorry, but you're not allowed to stand there. You're also not allowed to guard that guy. You're a PF. Also, we don't want you at C because then that guy over there would guard you, you know, because he's a C, too. It will help us strip away their competitive edge by taking away their ability to have him guard you by calling you the PF. So just go take your place over there and we'll explain this all later with Xs and Os -- or PFs and Cs."

To be honest a good coach doesn't have pfs and centers but bigs wings and guards and the positions are interchangeable.

I get all that, but Corbin did have Favors bulked up a lot so that he's able to play the Center position (or guard Centers, whatever you wanna call it). If he is playing with Gobert I don't know if he needs to be that way.

As it stands playing Favors next to Gobert, he's gonna be too immobile to guard quicker PFs. There are changes that need to be made if they're to play together.

Position doesn't matter. Teams should be built one of three ways. Around a coaches system, around a star player/s, or built as a cohesive core unit. The question is does Favors fit into which ever format Lindsey has chosen.

How many true centers in the league now anyways??? You play your best 5 andif Favors is one of them and then he pays. This isn't baseball or football....

Positions are for retards.

Players have strengths and weaknesses. Try and play through the former and eliminate the latter.

Gobert has to get better at finishing and Favors has to extend his range a little more before they can play together.

I'll have to put my foot down on this one as the OP, he definitely shouldn't be playing the small forward position.

Have you not seen Favors splashing the midrange this year? I have to rub my eyes and pinch myself each game to make sure that isn't Richard Hamilton out there instead of Favors