What's new

What Price Should the Jazz Extend THT?

This year is Sexton's highest volume of 3pt attempts by a good margin (2 more per 36 than his career average), which is why he is shooting worse. Even a modest uptick in his volume will throw his % way off.

I mean, we can say the same thing about THT having to play next to Sexton...

They’re not a good fit together that’s for sure but THT flat out can’t shoot or dribble so his issues are deeper than that. Do I think Sexton is a value contract or even a decent contract? No, but thankfully the money isn’t that bad and I still think we could get off of him pretty easily.

Is that true? Let's see what tracking says:

View attachment 15480

View attachment 15481

Top is last year, bottom is this year. So he is taking more wide open 3's this year and shooting better on the "open" shots. So the tracking doesnt bare out what you are saying.

Good data, I assumed his increase in attempts was due to taking more contested shots that's what I remembered seeing anyway, but it looks like that's not the case. Anyway I think him taking more 3's is a good thing and since his percentage being down is mostly on wide open 3's I assume that will go up.

I think Sexton was definitely better last year than this.
I thought he was great last year and sucks this year.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Good data, I assumed his increase in attempts was due to taking more contested shots that's what I remembered seeing anyway, but it looks like that's not the case. Anyway I think him taking more 3's is a good thing and since his percentage being down is mostly on wide open 3's I assume that will go up.
I mean, I think you are right in a sense. He's taking more 3's where he isnt completely comfortable. You cant really see it in tracking data (and honestly, who knows how accurate the tracking data is for closest defender), but you can tell he is taking 3's he wouldnt normally take.

...vet minimum should be enough...
THT’s response to a minimum offer

1701382763629.gif

Seriously though. THT ain’t gonna be here past the deadline most likely. Definitely ain’t coming back. I don’t think either side is real happy with how things are going.

I think Sexton was definitely better last year than this.
I thought he was great last year and sucks this year.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
He had a rough start but has been better lately. At least what I have watched. Taking more threes is good and he started passing again. I’d say he’s trying to make some of the right improvements but is mostly the same.

THT’s response to a minimum offer

View attachment 15483

Seriously though. THT ain’t gonna be here past the deadline most likely. Definitely ain’t coming back. I don’t think either side is real happy with how things are going.
That was half serious, half trolly ... but yah... he won't like what I'd be willing to offer. But... thinking about it... come on - lets be serious here. If he doesn't considerably improve his play to the end of the year - who would give him more than vet minimum? How is that type of play worth more than that?

That was half serious, half trolly ... but yah... he won't like what I'd be willing to offer. But... thinking about it... come on - lets be serious here. If he doesn't considerably improve his play to the end of the year - who would give him more than vet minimum? How is that type of play worth more than that?
I'm sure someone would, or maybe sign him to a 2 way. He still has good games even when he shots poorly. He is able to affect the game in multiple ways. Teams may convince themselves it was the team around THT and him playing PG that led to bad efficiency

I mean, I think you are right in a sense. He's taking more 3's where he isnt completely comfortable. You cant really see it in tracking data (and honestly, who knows how accurate the tracking data is for closest defender), but you can tell he is taking 3's he wouldnt normally take.

Agreed. Stats might say they are open but they are less open than the open shots he was taking last season

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

He had a rough start but has been better lately. At least what I have watched. Taking more threes is good and he started passing again. I’d say he’s trying to make some of the right improvements but is mostly the same.

Ya he is trying to be better and ending up being worse at least in the short term.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I wonder if the Jazz would like a do over on the trade that brought THT to the Jazz?
For sure. I don't think they view it as a success or big failure, but i think given the chance to go back they likely would pass on it.