What's new

What Price Should the Jazz Extend THT?

The other reference points for THT would be recently signed players off their rookie deals:

Thybulle 3/$33
Coby White 3/$40
PJ Washington 3/$48
Pritchard 4/$30

From that perspective, 3/$45 or 4/$60 does seem like a lot. It also makes Sexton's contract look like a lot.....
Those are way more appropriate comps and three of those got all the way to FA which means the teams had less leverage.

Sextons could be solid but it’s not gonna be viewed as a supreme value right now. Stay productive and healthy and it’s solid… make improvements in key areas and stay healthy and it’s great.

I would not even really discuss an extension in serious terms for a couple months… unless he is approaching the team and his ask is just below “insulting” per @Saint Cy of JFC

Those are way more appropriate comps and three of those got all the way to FA which means the teams had less leverage.

Sextons could be solid but it’s not gonna be viewed as a supreme value right now. Stay productive and healthy and it’s solid… make improvements in key areas and stay healthy and it’s great.

I would not even really discuss an extension in serious terms for a couple months… unless he is approaching the team and his ask is just below “insulting” per @Saint Cy of JFC

The other caveat, however, is that they were all restricted which definitely deters bidders and lessens the risk of losing them for the team. A player certainly has more leverage entering UFA than RFA.

I moreso see the extension as an “opportunity” from the Jazz side if they like him tbh. If they like him a lot and think he’s about to breakout you’re better of locking him up now versus later. And that goes back to the Sexton thing. If they are happy paying Sexton what they are (maybe they are not) you have to think they will approach a similar number for a guy they feel similar about.

Maybe they don’t love THT or either player, but just thinking out loud if they do. I don’t think you’re the biggest Sexton guy, but if you were imagine what you’d want to do if he was on THT’s deal. You’d probably want to lock him up long term. Enter any player you actually like. If they are on a one year deal and about to have more opportunity than ever you probably want to sign him before he breaks out.

Who are we saving up money for in the 2024 free agency? There's not many interesting players. Just lock up THT. He's a keeper.

Who are we saving up money for in the 2024 free agency? There's not many interesting players. Just lock up THT. He's a keeper.
Go look at a free agent list… those guys… plus we need like 10-25M to work a Lauri renegotiate and extend… the following year Lauri’s deal moves up… beyond that if we do a trade it could add salary.

Just because you don’t know the exact use for funds doesn’t mean you spend it cuz “why not?”

Both Sexton and THT could be trade bait as far as I’m concerned. No reason to hold on to either. Neither have been particularly successful with Utah.

Go look at a free agent list… those guys… plus we need like 10-25M to work a Lauri renegotiate and extend… the following year Lauri’s deal moves up… beyond that if we do a trade it could add salary.

Just because you don’t know the exact use for funds doesn’t mean you spend it cuz “why not?”
I've looked at the list and struggle to find anyone I would want to sign.

I've looked at the list and struggle to find anyone I would want to sign.
There are dudes and that list grows during the year as guys emerge. Flexibility with THTs deal this year is so obviously the best route.

Another huge factor: THT will be 23 when his next contract starts. If you get him on a steal like 20 million per year, he can be the headliner in a star trade. Teams would love to start a rebuild with a 23/24 year old rising star like THT.

Another huge factor: THT will be 23 when his next contract starts. If you get him on a steal like 20 million per year, he can be the headliner in a star trade. Teams would love to start a rebuild with a 23/24 year old rising star like THT.
And what if he tears his ACL… or shoots like **** again? Or shoots better but it’s still ****** because he has several steps to take as a shooter… and that 20M is a millstone that no one wants?

I am pretty sure you know this, but extending him for that much is not possible. His max starting salary on an extension is just over $15 million next year. We have to wait until the off season when his contract has expired and use our cap space to give him more.

Maybe don’t double down on the over the top THT love on the night he doesn’t score, has no assists, has two turnovers and three fouls against G league level talent…. Mmm k?