What's new

What salary would you give to Gordon Hayward for the next season?

What salary would you give to Gordon Hayward for the next season?

• 35M or more

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • 32-34M

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 29-31M

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 26-28M

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • 23-25M

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 20-22M

• 19M or less

• There's no need to keep Gordon Hayward

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
My point about Hayward was simply this - the finances in the NBA are messed up. Gordo is such a good player, but he isn't a superstar. Superstars are mega commercial magnets like CP3 and Griffen or incredible unicorns like Kawhi and Westbrook. Megastars are guys like LBJ, Durant and Curry.

Hayward deserves the max deal because that is how the market is dictated. However, his cost per team success coupled with national exposure just isnt the same as other franchise cornerstone max guys. I expect and hope we pay whatever it takes to keep him. This is no shot at Gordon, I'm just making a point.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Of course, you are 100% right. Hayward's max deal would be akin to Joe Johnson's max deal in its time : because of how the NBA works it's unavoidable and normal. But in absolute it makes no sense. Lebron should be paid 50per, Curry 45, Durant, Wes, Harden and Kawhi 35/40, and "max" guys like Conley or Hayward should not be in that league. But that's how it works.

My point about Hayward was simply this - the finances in the NBA are messed up. Gordo is such a good player, but he isn't a superstar. Superstars are mega commercial magnets like CP3 and Griffen or incredible unicorns like Kawhi and Westbrook. Megastars are guys like LBJ, Durant and Curry.

Hayward deserves the max deal because that is how the market is dictated. However, his cost per team success coupled with national exposure just isnt the same as other franchise cornerstone max guys. I expect and hope we pay whatever it takes to keep him. This is no shot at Gordon, I'm just making a point.

Is this a typo? And by typo I don't mean your spelling, I mean his inclusion in that sentence at all.

Is this a typo? And by typo I don't mean your spelling, I mean his inclusion in that sentence at all.
Blake Griffen is a max player due to his marketing as much as his play. I don't rate him that highly and he has never won anything, but he is worth a max based off of those intangibles.

Anyone know what the max is?
I'm thinking 5 years, 130 million? (30 million per year)

Blake Griffen is a max player due to his marketing as much as his play. I don't rate him that highly and he has never won anything, but he is worth a max based off of those intangibles.

A traditional pf in a league going away from traditional pfs, who is chronically injured and has never advanced deep into the playoffs.

I wonder how long he will be marketing anything. Personally I've never purchased anything because Blake does ads for it.

Personally I'd pay hayward $10.50 an hour for performances and $8 an hour for team meetings and practices.

A traditional pf in a league going away from traditional pfs, who is chronically injured and has never advanced deep into the playoffs.

I wonder how long he will be marketing anything. Personally I've never purchased anything because Blake does ads for it.

You don't think marketing executives realize who there target audience is better then you? Blake was a positive association to many people, a negative to others.

Gordon Hayward billboards are not a stay Hayward plea they are a positive association with the LHM brand. That is how branding works.

I don't think he is a great player but he is great for a franchise. From a business standpoint, he is undoubtedly a max player for now.

Because that will be the only way he has a chance of getting a championship ring as the top dog, whether it is on this team or another.

On a side note, good thing for the Heat and Cavs that Lebron was open to a pay cut when it came time for it back when it was needed...

He didn't take a cut with Cleveland... I'm sure if we had the equivalent of Bosh and Wade in their primes ready to sign with Gordon then he'd do it... all those guys sacrificed a couple million a year... gordon sacrificing a couple million a year won't chang our situation. We need to remember gordon isn't a fan he's a player... helping the franchise save a couple million does him no good and no way in hell he leaves 5-10 million on the table per year just fo the privilege of being top dog and trying to win... again... this thread is dumb.

Bad poll. These are not the choices. Hayward is in the driver's seat, he will dictate the terms.

Oversimplified, but if he wants to stay with the Jazz, Hayward has to decide whether he wants to:

1. Lock up the the max he is allowed today (maximum security)

2. Sign shorter term deal:
.....In hopes of making all-NBA and being eligible for megamax (can get 35%)
.....In hopes that he is still max-worthy after 10 years in the league

Really depends on whether he wants to monetize his value today or bet on his future value.

I would not be surprised to see him sign a 2+1 30% deal (2 guaranteed + 1 player option), because this bridges him to 10 years can can get the 35% regardless of making All-NBA.

Andy Larson has an excellent article on this:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42729511&nid=304

I'm hoping that Gordon realizes that he will need help to be competitive against teams like the Cavs or Warriors if he wants to be the main man of the team.. If he truly wants to "win" then he should be willing to take less than the max to make room for other players who can ease the burden..

Unless he is absolutely one of the top 5 players in the league, automatically taking the max just seems greedy for a player who 'wants to win'..I'm hoping he decides to 'be the man'..and stay whilst still giving enough flexibility to build a solid roster..

I think the Jazz need to be willing to offer the max and let him know that, but try to convince him that accepting less would be a sign of leadership from him. Obviously front office would have to convince him and show how they can get him the help he needs if he chooses that path.

Hayward isn't greedy for taking the max. He's a max player and deserves a max deal. Basketball is his livelihood just like u have a job, I know u aren't taking a pay cut, why should Hayward? It's not like it's normal for max guys to take a pay cut. I know it's happened, but I'm pretty sure they were all in their 30's and accomplished way more then Hayward.

This should be the meeting esteem Hayward and management.

DL. Hay, two options for ya. We are prepared to pay u a max deal, but we'd like u to consider a little bit lower deal so we can build the best team possible around u and Gobert. These are free agents and trades we are contemplating. It's your choice.

This should be the meeting esteem Hayward and management.

DL. Hay, two options for ya. We are prepared to pay u a max deal, but we'd like u to consider a little bit lower deal so we can build the best team possible around u and Gobert. These are free agents and trades we are contemplating. It's your choice.

I don't even think I would chance that if I was DL... We can keep everyone together... it will just cost us some luxury tax... we've banked the dollars.

If I was DL I'd offer a 4 year max and a 5 year max and let him talk me into a PO on the 5th year... I'd walk him out to the Malone and Stockton statues and let him pick out the corner where we will build ones for him and Gobert.

Pretty sure Hayward's max starts at 30 million next year. I dont think Jazz can pay him 35 million unless it's under the table.