What's new

What steps do we take to become a contender?

Now that Kanter is gone, what moves would you guys like to see made this summer? Does anybody know how much cap space we saved by dealing Kanter and Novak?

I believe we have enough money to go after a Wesley Matthews or Danny Green type. Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler absolutely will get matched imo. Getting either is wishful thinking.

As far as the draft, we should be anywhere in the 6-10 range. From what I've seen the two guys with the most star potential (not including Okafor) are Russell and Mudiay. Russell looks like a cross between James Harden and Stephen Curry. He will be special. From what I've seen of Mudiay he reminds me of a poor man's Westbrook. Either of those guys would be awesome but I don't see any way we could move up high enough unless we move one of our core (Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum).

Do we think we have our future star in Exum or Gobert and pick bpa in the draft? Do we use all our extra picks and players if needed to move up? Or do we trade out of the draft completely?

Let's hear some of your ideas..

Jazz look to be trying to stay in the top 6 of this draft if they can. They are also maintaining financial flexibility and may pursue a free agent. They're still a year or two away from making noise in the playoffs.

I think we need ONE FINAL TANK and go get either D'Angelo Russell or Emmanuel Mudiay.

Once we've got one of those legit talents, we can start using our cap space on a legit FA and pushing for the playoffs.

I think we need ONE FINAL TANK and go get either D'Angelo Russell or Emmanuel Mudiay.

Once we've got one of those legit talents, we can start using our cap space on a legit FA and pushing for the playoffs.

Problem is both of those guys will be gone by the time we pick and it will be extremely difficult to trade up into the top 3-4.

The Jazz will have to get lucky in the lottery. They're not going to out-tank NYK, MIN, PHI, LAL or ORL. They should stay ahead of Sacramento in the lottery, but will still be challenged by the Nuggets.

The Jazz will have to get lucky in the lottery. They're not going to out-tank NYK, MIN, PHI, LAL or ORL. They should stay ahead of Sacramento in the lottery, but will still be challenged by the Nuggets.

If we're no worse than #6, then we should get at least either Johnson or Hezonja, and those are certainly legit talents as well.

I think one of those two could fall to #4.

that would be awesome. Towns and Porzingis may go top 5 and push one of Mudiay/Russell back a couple of spots. The question is what would it take to move up? Our pick, GSW 2017 pick, and Burks to move from say the 8th pick to the 5th would be nice.

Matthews or Middleton

Hood will be better then Middleton. At the very least be as good. I'm high on Hood and his potential as a shooter and playmaker as a scorer. Really all we need to do is keep the core of Gobert Favors Hayward Hood Burks and Exum and this years pick around for a long time and place some decent role players around them. This team talent wise is stacked

I have a hard time seeing Okafor, Russell, Mudiay or Towns falling outside the top 4.

If the Jazz don't get lucky, they're looking at Porzingis, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson and Oubre. All of these guys have length and can shoot the ball, so that's good.

The sleeper in all this is Myles Turner whose physical awkwardness might be attributable to a big growth spurt.

I have a hard time seeing Okafor, Russell, Mudiay or Towns falling outside the top 4.

If the Jazz don't get lucky, they're looking at Porzingis, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson and Oubre. All of these guys have length and can shoot the ball, so that's good.

The sleeper in all this is Myles Turner whose physical awkwardness might be attributable to a big growth spurt.

Porzingis, Hezonja and Johnson all have All Stars potential IMO. It's a good draft to be 5-7.

I don't follow college ball much, and I usually don't start following the players until the end of the season. How does this draft class stack up to last years (which was supposed to be the best in a long time). From last years, in my opinion, I really only see Wiggins as a clear cut star. Parker and Embid maybe, and Exum has an outside chance if he takes significant strides in getting better.

*Trade Burke
*Sign a vet pg who can mentor Exum and play 16 backup minutes per game without bitching and still start if Exum gets hurt or really, really struggles in spots. Maybe Jameer Nelson as he can spread the floor in this offense. Not sure how solid of a mentor he'd be as he was never a strong true pg though.
*Sign Middleton or Matthews.
*Use our assets to move up for Russell.
*Draft a long center in the 2nd round--think Dakari Johnson--solid upside.

Exum-Nelson
Russell-Burks
Hayward-Middleton
Favors-Booker
Gobert-Johnson

I think we're in a good spot here - either we struggle to replace Kanter's volume scoring and Rudy isn't quite ready for thirty minutes a game and we slip a little, with a good chance to move into the top 3, OR we play really well and are able to sell to a good vet that adding him could be the missing link in being a good team.

Seems like a win win to me.

Matthews or Middleton.

Matthews is sharing free agency with LA and Lopez. That's 1 max, and 2 almost max players. Portland will have a difficult time holding on to all 3. They just traded for Afflalo, and admitted it was to make LA happy. They need as much out of each contract since they're over the cap this season. Afflalo saves POR 8 million or so if Matthews leaves in FA, which helps you secure your starting frontline of LA and Lopez and prepare the MAX for Lillard the following season. Unless he really likes it there, which wouldn't surprise me, and he takes a smaller deal to stay, Matthews is obtainable. Bring him home.

Middleton

I see Middleton more difficult to pry from MIL than Matthews from POR. While MIL's direction is kind of a head scratcher, I think Middleton is part of their weird plans moving forward. They're under the cap this season but with one $2M coming off the books. A big offer might snag him but MIL matching is always a possibility. They still have a few seasons to evaluate their young talent, but they have a **** ton of guards and they desperately need a big man, I think.....**** it.

I like both players and I think they can be had at the right price. A possible overpay, but solid shooting at the wing and from all accounts better defenders than Joe Ingles. No offense Joe.

Personally, I'd go after Matthews.