What's new

What steps do we take to become a contender?

I think we need ONE FINAL TANK and go get either D'Angelo Russell or Emmanuel Mudiay.

Once we've got one of those legit talents, we can start using our cap space on a legit FA and pushing for the playoffs.

I think tanking is what you do when you don't know what to do. When your in sports of any kind, you focus on developing to win. Losing is never something that never should be practiced even if its something that goes on but not talked about. It destroys morale, confidence and development. You don't tank, draft a player and then look at the guys in the locker room (who have been losing games for a year or more) and convince them it's time to go to work and the time is now. If that's your strategy, good luck. Anyone that is ok with losing should get out of the business.

I think tanking is what you do when you don't know what to do. When your in sports of any kind, you focus on developing to win. Losing is never something that never should be practiced even if its something that goes on but not talked about. It destroys morale, confidence and development. You don't tank, draft a player and then look at the guys in the locker room (who have been losing games for a year or more) and convince them it's time to go to work and the time is now. If that's your strategy, good luck. Anyone that is ok with losing should get out of the business.

GSW strategically tanked hard 1 year to get our pick that turned into Harrison Barnes.

They pushed the 'play' button the next season and hasn't looked back since.

*Trade Burke
*Sign a vet pg who can mentor Exum and play 16 backup minutes per game without bitching and still start if Exum gets hurt or really, really struggles in spots. Maybe Jameer Nelson as he can spread the floor in this offense. Not sure how solid of a mentor he'd be as he was never a strong true pg though.
*Sign Middleton or Matthews.
*Use our assets to move up for Russell.
*Draft a long center in the 2nd round--think Dakari Johnson--solid upside.

Exum-Nelson
Russell-Burks
Hayward-Middleton
Favors-Booker
Gobert-Johnson

Ok, but easier said than done?

GSW strategically tanked hard 1 year to get our pick that turned into Harrison Barnes.

This
They lost games intentionally on and off the court

Going back to the topic of this post. "What steps do we take to become a contender?"

I love posts like this. There is so much talk and topics that don't have the big picture in mind. Topics like this are refreshing. Lets look at the steps or attempts that we have taken already and see where we need to go next. We have been developing young talent and working the draft. We have a core of young talent and I think that's the first step. We have Exum, very young, very good potential. We have Alec Burks, who I think will come back and after a month or so contribute at a high level like he did pre-injury. Gordon Hayward who we signed to a big contract and is still young and working at developing his game. Favors who is getting better and better and people forget is only 23 years old!! And of course Rudy Gobert who I think will be one of the biggest steals of a draft by any team in the past decade.
Our next step needs to be focusing on our bench. We need some core young talent. Guys who are mature (mentally) and can see what we are trying to do, buy in to the system and come in off the bench to do damage. I think we also need to acquire 1 or 2 veterans that have playoff experience that are on the beginning phase to their declining years in the NBA. These guys contribute to the hold team and act as the glue for the "young and the restless". With those additions, I think we need to hang on to Booker. He isn't going to be the guy that puts up big numbers but he does a ton of little things that will never make it on to a stat sheet. He comes in and gives 100%, isn't scared of anybody, and can send a message defensively. Maybe we can add someone with that same mentality. A bad boy with outstanding work ethic, who brings energy off the bench. If we can do that and do it successfully I think we can have a contender.

They were more the exception then the rule. They got lucky in the draft and made great offseason moves. This happens maybe once every 15-20 years. Think the last time it happened was the Spurs when they won the lotto and drafted an all time great in Duncan

Matthews or Middleton.

Matthews is sharing free agency with LA and Lopez. That's 1 max, and 2 almost max players. Portland will have a difficult time holding on to all 3. They just traded for Afflalo, and admitted it was to make LA happy. They need as much out of each contract since they're over the cap this season. Afflalo saves POR 8 million or so if Matthews leaves in FA, which helps you secure your starting frontline of LA and Lopez and prepare the MAX for Lillard the following season. Unless he really likes it there, which wouldn't surprise me, and he takes a smaller deal to stay, Matthews is obtainable. Bring him home.

Middleton

I see Middleton more difficult to pry from MIL than Matthews from POR. While MIL's direction is kind of a head scratcher, I think Middleton is part of their weird plans moving forward. They're under the cap this season but with one $2M coming off the books. A big offer might snag him but MIL matching is always a possibility. They still have a few seasons to evaluate their young talent, but they have a **** ton of guards and they desperately need a big man, I think.....**** it.

I like both players and I think they can be had at the right price. A possible overpay, but solid shooting at the wing and from all accounts better defenders than Joe Ingles. No offense Joe.

Personally, I'd go after Matthews.

Do you know who the owner is and how he used to try buying championships? Dude was spending $90 million in the early 2000's. He'll do it again if he smells a championship.

*Edit -- looked it up. Over $100 million in 2003. The cap was $40mm and LT $52mm.

Best case scenario imo is we finish the season off strong, still get a top 10 pick, and find a way to move up for Russell or Mudiay. With all the picks we have we may be able to make it happen. Then sign Matthews and a big to come off the bench and all of a sudden we are looking solid.

They were more the exception then the rule. They got lucky in the draft and made great offseason moves. This happens maybe once every 15-20 years. Think the last time it happened was the Spurs when they won the lotto and drafted an all time great in Duncan

Agreed. I think if we went on a huge losing streak to finish the season it would show that we aren't nearly as close to being a playoff team as we thought. I would love it if we play near .500 ball the rest of the season and then find a way to cash in our assets to move into the top 5 of the draft.

Agreed. I think if we went on a huge losing streak to finish the season it would show that we aren't nearly as close to being a playoff team as we thought. I would love it if we play near .500 ball the rest of the season and then find a way to cash in our assets to move into the top 5 of the draft.

I'm not sure our assets are good enough to get top 5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk