What's new

What supplements do you take?

Hearsky

Do you ever feel like you are getting scammed? How do you assess effectiveness?

I take Fish Oil, Lion's Mane, Vitamin D, and Berberine. Easy to get sucked into. Sometimes I wonder.

Now I take nothing more than my coffee in the morning. Earlier in my life I used to take Glucosamine, Chondroitin, a really sketchy compound called Cardarine which is now banned by WADA, and fistfulls of NSAIDS. I may or may not have taken gear stronger than that but as I said, now I'm caffeine only and have been that way for years.

As for effectiveness, the combination of all that and workouts nine times per week (3x morning and 6x afternoon) had me in pretty good shape. It worked well enough that a stunning girl who could have been a supermodel agreed to go out with me a couple decades ago. She's upstairs as I write this and our kid is in the other room watching a show, so yes, it was worth it for me. YMMV

That said, I intend on doing everything in my power to make sure my kid does not take anything sold at a store like GNC for exactly the reasons your linked video talks about. Even vitamin C he gets from drinking orange juice. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite but it is what it is.

It's pretty old and common knowledge that supplements sneak steroids into pre workouts. That's how no explode got huge a long time ago. They put anabolic steroids into 1 out 10 or so. The marketing was huge for them if 1 person at a gym suddenly gets strong and big everyone takes it. Even after they got caught and remade and released it the marketing had made them huge. Utah had a big part of the laws around supplements. The 2% proprietary ingredients is all awful practice. I liked the documentary bigger stronger faster in 2008 about this.

I personally take supplements but I take reliable ones or get pure powders and mix them myself. I probably still get some bad stuff but it's fine. Mostly I like creatine, caffeine, and bcaas. Those are all well researched and effective.

My favorite supplement is percocet. Kratom has been pretty good for me too so far.

I take a lot of supplements on my doctor's recommendations. I often wonder how much good they do, but I can tell a difference in my various health issues if I stop taking them. But I have no idea if that is reality.

I don't buy anything advertised online, but I get tempted when they promise my pain will be relieved and my illnesses cured. I'd probably try them all if I was rich as I get rather desperate at times.

One thing I do recommend is knowing exactly why you are taking something and what it should do for you, and not just because people say it's a good thing to take.

I play basketball 4-5 time a week and from High School to college and beyond I dealt with regular muscle cramps/charlie horses, particularly in my hamstrings, mostly at night. Tried Os Cal, potassiam, etc., and nothing seemed to help.

At a checkup with my doctor two years ago, she recommended I take a one a day vitamin as a general care, not to prevent muscle cramps, but more to ensure enough Vitamin D, etc.

After a few months of taking One a Day Pro Edge I came to the realization I had not had a muscle cramp after I started taking them. Not sure what ingredient(s) is helping, but it has kept me on them. I stopped for a while to see what would happen, and sure enough, cramps came back after a week or so. I know somw things have a placebo effect, but I don't think that is the case here as I had never even thought/considered these may stop muscle cramps.

I took creatine in HS and college as part of out training programs. Don't take any of that stuff anymore.

Vitamin D3, Vitamin K, Magnesium Glycinate, Creatine

I take beta alamine for a pre workout because I like the tingly feels. Also dextrose for carbs because I workout 45 minutes after waking.

I don’t understand taking protein supplements other than time is finite and there’s not always a lot of time to cook. It’s really not that difficult to get 180+ grams of protein a day from food at a reasonable cost.

Food/Cals/Protein

1 sv Quaker Oats: 150, 5

1 sv Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt: 100, 18 (250, 23)

Berries: 50, 0 (300, 23)

2 sv Lentils: 320, 22 (620, 45)

One can kidney beans: 371, 30 (991, 75)

6 oz lean chicken breast: 257, 54 (1,248, 129)

1 sv skim milk: 90, 8 (1,338, 137)

2 sv. chickpea pasta: 380, 24 (1,718, 161)

One banana: 110, 1 (1,828, 162)

One apple: 65, 0 (1,893, 162)

Tons of veggies: ~300, 4 (2,193, 166)

Generally, I do this with some nuts, chia seeds, and an extra can of beans or some bison (virtually no fat, super high protein) or a protein shake to finish around 2,600-2,900 calories and 200 grams of protein.

I don’t understand taking protein supplements other than time is finite and there’s not always a lot of time to cook. It’s really not that difficult to get 180+ grams of protein a day from food at a reasonable cost.
You should get it from whole food. But when weight lifting you want to get 15 grams right away and 15 grams a couple hours later. Getting protein right after can be hard. For me I don't like to eat much right after because I feel queazy, but can chug a shake. For others it's just the convenience to take a shake with them instead of other food.

I take an electrolyte supplements during heat waves or periods of heavy work to ease muscle fatigue and cramp (protracted heat waves, doing physical work in a Kevlar vest leads to excessive sweating). When I trained daily I took a protein supplement for muscle recovery which was very effective.

"Important" supplements I take: Vitamin D, Creatine, Magnesium

Supplements I take, but are likely not necessary: Pre-workout, multivitamin

Supplements I have on hand, but only take when my diet isn't enough: Protein powder, Fish oil

Currently taking a break from tracking my diet through the end of the year, I had been slowly bulking for the last 8-9 months gaining about 20-25 lbs. The last calorie goal I had was about 3200 per day. I will be cutting once I reach my bench press goal, which will happen soon hopefully.

"Important" supplements I take: Vitamin D, Creatine, Magnesium

Supplements I take, but are likely not necessary: Pre-workout, multivitamin

Supplements I have on hand, but only take when my diet isn't enough: Protein powder, Fish oil

Currently taking a break from tracking my diet through the end of the year, I had been slowly bulking for the last 8-9 months gaining about 20-25 lbs. The last calorie goal I had was about 3200 per day. I will be cutting once I reach my bench press goal, which will happen soon hopefully.

Update, the bench goal has been achieved. 225 has fallen :)