What's new

What's the Jazz's Biggest Need?

Biggest Need (Assume Mitchell and Gobert Stay)

• 3&D Wing (No creation ability, can guard 1-4, Ok shot)

• Driving Creation Guard (Limited shooter, average 1-2 D)

• Stretch Big (Limited Defensive impact, but versatile D)

• Versatile Wing (Guard 3-4,bit of everything on Off)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
I think these 4 basic archetypes are the biggest needs for the Jazz (that reasonably exist, could be attainable) given Mitchell/Rudy return. Don't want to put an "other" option because I don't want it too get to bogged down with different combos of talents.

The biggest need is not a type of player, but a mentality. Assuming both return, someone who'll bring Gobert and Mitchell together.

Consensus among the front office and coaching staff on what the play-style and roster construction should be. Then they need a solid core of talent all in the same age range, which gives the team a window of serious contention. Otherwise, they're rearranging deck chairs.

We simply have to create more matchups that can let us utilize small ball. I get the impression that likely neither Rudy or DM will be on the move next year and that everything else is on the table. Getting some wing help to replace Conley, reduce the reliance on Royce might be the extent of we realistically do next year.

And I realize Conley isn't a wing, but I'd rather get some additional length in the backcourt even if that wing is 6'5".

If the Jazz are keeping both Gobert and Mitchell, then they need a big guard or small forward who plays between them and has enough handle and passing to run the offense and play effectively in pick-and-roll with Gobert. Someone with size will be better able to make passes over the top of the defense to Rudy. Would be best if the player shoots well enough to punish teams that go under screens. Jazz had this in the past with Hayward, Rubio and Ingles to some extent, but now they rely on small guards whose passing angles are limited due to their size. Would be even better if this player were a reliable scorer and could guard 1 - 3 at least.

You guys can laugh, but I actually think Justin Zanik took NAW in the trade last season to try to address this.

The biggest need is not a type of player, but a mentality. Assuming both return, someone who'll bring Gobert and Mitchell together.

Jazz gonna sign Dr Phil?
I’d say OB’s issue falls under the umbrella of coaching. And not Dr. Phil, but I wouldn’t oppose bringing in Phil Jackson. I mean, hell, we brought in Ainge. May as well tell him “here, you have two years for a nice jewel in your crown.”

We need prime Joe Ingles back… then you can add some basic three and D guys… see House, Danuel

Consensus among the front office and coaching staff on what the play-style and roster construction should be. Then they need a solid core of talent all in the same age range, which gives the team a window of serious contention. Otherwise, they're rearranging deck chairs.
Lmfao
It's hard enough to find good players on the fringes. Making them all the same relative age is nearly impossible.

Last edited:
I’d say OB’s issue falls under the umbrella of coaching. And not Dr. Phil, but I wouldn’t oppose bringing in Phil Jackson. I mean, hell, we brought in Ainge. May as well tell him “here, you have two years for a nice jewel in your crown.”
Even follow the trend of part time. Jackson can be the head coach, but he’s really just the guy who shows up to call big picture shots. Have Alex Jensen run the day-to-day. We this will give Phil more time to do peyote and meditate in a sauna in Rudy’s back yard with his crystals.

Lmfao
It's hard enough to find good players on the fringes. Making them all the same relative age is nearly impossible.

That's why you do a coherent reset or rebuild. The Jazz did have most of their pieces in the same relative age range, with Conley, Ingles and Bogdanovic all in their early 30s. Clarkson and Gobert are 29. The ship has sailed on that iteration of the Jazz and they need to completely retool or die a slow death.

That's why you do a coherent reset or rebuild. The Jazz did have most of their pieces in the same relative age range, with Conley, Ingles and Bogdanovic all in their early 30s. Clarkson and Gobert are 29. The ship has sailed on that iteration of the Jazz and they need to completely retool or die a slow death.
That's not what this thread is about...

That's not what this thread is about...

I get it, but until the front office and coaching staff are on the same page about the direction of the team, they're just flailing about. If the Jazz don't make big moves, they're looking at 45 - 50 wins and a likely 1st-round exit until Gobert's trade value drops and Mitchell starts to exercise leverage with his upcoming free agency. The Jazz have Conley, Bogdanovic, Clarkson and Royce they can trade, but it will be hard to upgrade the team by trading those pieces. The Jazz have shot their proverbial wad, as it were.

I mean, where are they going to get a versatile wing defender who contributes much on offense? Do they go after Brogdon or Marcus Morris? Those players are nice, but they don't change the Jazz's fate in the playoffs. I don't think Detroit is going to take the Jazz's old players in a trade for Jerami Grant.

Last edited:
I get it, but until the front office and coaching staff are on the same page about the direction of the team, they're just flailing about. If the Jazz don't make big moves, they're looking at 45 - 50 wins and a likely 1st-round exit until Gobert's trade value drops and Mitchell starts to exercise leverage with his upcoming free agency. The Jazz have Conley, Bogdanovic, Clarkson and Royce they can trade, but it will be hard to upgrade the team by trading those pieces. The Jazz have shot their proverbial wad, as it were.
Cool. Not what this thread is about.

Made this thread to say:

Sign Delon Wright. He checks some of the driving/creation guard box, and some of the versatile wing box.

Made this thread to say:

Sign Delon Wright. He checks some of the driving/creation guard box, and some of the versatile wing box.

Maybe the Jazz agree to take Tobias Harris from Philly and ask the Sixers to include Thybulle. Jazz's contracts help the Sixers get off some longer term money. Jazz don't have a lot of room to maneuver.

I like Delon Wright, but he's basically a backup to who would replace the Trent Forrest minutes and give a little extra.

Maybe the Jazz agree to take Tobias Harris from Philly and ask the Sixers to include Thybulle. Jazz's contracts help the Sixers get off some longer term money. Jazz don't have a lot of room to maneuver.

I like Delon Wright, but he's basically a backup to who would replace the Trent Forrest minutes and give a little extra.
I know, insane, it's like this thread is about making a realistic move on the margins for a flawed but productive player who would help the team.

Trade Bogey to Miami for Robinson and picks. Use those picks to acquire young forwards with decent size and athleticism and play defense