What's new

What's The Last Movie You’ve Seen?

My recollection is the original is a superior film and that the sequel was more acclaimed by audiences, probably due to Paxton’s hilarity and some kick butt scenes all ending with that cool yellow machine Weaver kicked *** in. I rewatched the sequel recently and some of the special effects are insanely bad, namely the outdoor scenes on the planet when the spacecraft crashes in and rock goes flying everywhere. Awful.
So I just watched Aliens and Alien 3 to compare. In Aliens Paxton is pretty hilarious, he makes it the most quotable of the movies. RIP Bill Paxton. Yeah the yellow machine Ripley uses is pretty awesome still to this day. I liked how they switched it up with the Android this time in comparison to the Android in Alien. Alien and Aliens are essential the same movie story wise but it's vastly different in that Aliens is much more action movie oriented like a video game while the characters in Alien feel more like real people and it's not quite as over the top. I did enjoy the relationship in Aliens that Ripley has with the little girl, Ripley has gone through the same stuff that the little girl does and forms a special bond with her that is great. Alien and Aliens are both great movies but yeah told from a different director they are different experiences for sure.

Alien 3 on the other hand. I did not enjoy. Coming after Aliens they tried to take a different direction which I like but it just didn't work for me. I didn't really care for the prison planet setting/story. Some people like Alien 3 in that it feels more like Alien, but not me. The CGI in Alien 3 is laughably bad. Yeah there are some bad FX moments in the other films but the ones in this one take the cake for sure. I also felt very sleepy while watching it which I didn't feel while watching the first two films.

Last edited:
I saw "Love, Simon" over the weekend. Cute movie, but made me glad I never have to relive my teenage years again (and I liked high school).

There was a trailer for a movie called "Eighth Grade." It was bad enough the first time around - why would I want to see a movie about it?

I’m curious how people here feel about Prometheus. Alien Covenant was horrid but the former was phenomenal imo. I didn’t love it upon first viewing but every time I’ve watched it since, it gets better and better.

“A king has his reign. And then he dies. It’s inevitable.”

Great, great **** by a great cast.

Prometheus totally lost me when the moron who was supposed to understand the dangers of being in an alien environment, because he was the expedition's ****ing BIOLOGIST for hell's sake, decided to eschew all protection and reach out to pet an alien snake, you know, because nothing bad ever happened from petting a snake, right? These kinds of things to force the plot forward are just idiotic and absolutely ruin the film, takes me out of it entirely. To each his own but I thought the very first alien movie was and still is the best of the franchise.

Reactions: MVP
Im not a Wes Anderson fan, but I'm pretty excited to see Isle of Dogs. Really liked Mr Fox and stop-motion is always just really cool to watch when it's done at a high level.

Alien 3 on the other hand. I did not enjoy. Coming after Aliens they tried to take a different direction which I like but it just didn't work for me. I didn't really care for the prison planet setting/story. Some people like Alien 3 in that it feels more like Alien, but not me. The CGI in Alien 3 is laughably bad. Yeah there are some bad FX moments in the other films but the ones in this one take the cake for sure. I also felt very sleepy while watching it which I didn't feel while watching the first two films.

I loved Alien 3. Very dark and hopeless. Ending was epic.

I loved Alien 3. Very dark and hopeless. Ending was epic.

I liked certain scenes from it and the ending would have been a satisfying conclusion(till they made Resurrection). I think it probably didn't help I watched Aliens right before and it didn't do well at the box office because David Fincher was like so you like Aliens, well who cares what you like I make my own movie and it's going to be really dour and depressing and you like the sweet guns and tech from aliens, yeah there will be none of that.

Respectfully disagree.

Yeah, after watching it yesterday, there's something that just isn't totally fulfilling. I love the questions it asks but doesn't answer. I love the pacing and way in which it slowly builds to a fairly terrifying realization though the delivery isn't a complete home run. I LOVE the acting (Fassbender is perfect; Rapace and Theron nearly are; Elba is very good) and much of the cinematography. But the script is lacking in some way. Perhaps the mysticism or attempt at it is too heavy-handed and just not subtle enough. I also think Scott's camerawork, much of the time, is just plain boring and he could do a lot more with it. But mostly the script lacks a bit. Much of that may be attributed to the fact that it's basically just the first act in his prequel trilogy too though I think.

I watched Hidden Figures last night and loved it. I've been studying issues of women's rights and race, and this movie combined both. I've just started reading the book. It is really sad that it took so many decades for the stories of these women to come to light.

I also watched Southside With You, about the Obamas' first date. It was adorable.

Going thru some David Lynch stuff. Caught a replay of Dune, and Blue Velvet. It's unpopular but my favorite film of his is still definitely Mulholland Drive.

For all the flaws in Dune, and there's many, there is a Lynch-esque aura about it.. It's kinda ******* crazy.

ugh. those aliens movies are not my cup of tea... There's a documentary (its on Netflix) called Dark Star - HR Geiger's world.

Geiger's art inspired the series, they actually had to clean some of it up for the masses/studios/ratings.

I'd highly recommend that. He died right after they filmed the documentary too.

Idk how people hate on Wes Anderson films.. I've seen em all and like em all, he's got great style.. His stuff is technically sound..

Moonrise Kingdom is glorious..

Rushmore is glorious... Fantastic Mr Fox is a damn good flick.. I like the Darjleen Limited and the life aquatic..

The Grand Budapest hotel is awesome, Cy in his mind, thinks he's the Gustave H. of this forum. The scene where Jeff Goldblum is executor of the will, this line from Adrian Brody kills me everytime;

"This criminal has plagued my family for nearly 20 years. He's a ruthless adventurer and a con artist who preys on mentally feeble, sick old ladies! And he probably ****s them,too!"

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Touch of Evil (1958) is still reeally damn good. The studio slash and burned most of Welles vision of the movie and reduced its run time by almost half. The scene at the end with all the mirrors is awesome. the very opening scene u have this long running camera shot thats AWESOME.

Caught 'The Last Boy Scout(1991)' with Bruce Willis, Damon Wayans and Prime Halle Berry. Pretty good. 7 or 8 out of 10 in my book.

also saw Absolute Power (1997) with Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. Another solid 90's flick somewhere in that 7 or 8 out of 10 range.

Watching Nighthawks (1981) with Stallone, Billy Dee and Rutger Hauer now.

Caught 'The Last Boy Scout(1991)' with Bruce Willis, Damon Wayans and Prime Halle Berry. Pretty good. 7 or 8 out of 10 in my book.

also saw Absolute Power (1997) with Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman. Another solid 90's flick somewhere in that 7 or 8 out of 10 range.

Watching Nighthawks (1981) with Stallone, Billy Dee and Rutger Hauer now.

Last Boy Scout is great. Also, I had my first real kiss while watching that movie.

Going thru some David Lynch stuff. Caught a replay of Dune, and Blue Velvet. It's unpopular but my favorite film of his is still definitely Mulholland Drive.

For all the flaws in Dune, and there's many, there is a Lynch-esque aura about it.. It's kinda ******* crazy.

I don't think Mulholland Drive is considered unpopular at all by those who are familiar with his work. Many people list it at or near the top and love singing the praises of Naomi Watts in particular.