What's new

What's the point of keeping Lauri anymore?

The good news is that we're really going to go out and make sure we're competitive next year. We're surely upgrading the talent level on this roster and we will prove it this summer with out LaVine trade.

I just want to understand one thing… why do we show out before trade season then at the trade deadline start tanking. Why can’t we start tanking during the bloody offseason? This is two years in a row.
I do wish we'd do these types of trades in the offseason or very early in the season.

This no man's land is what is frustrating. Either full tank and get your Wemby/Chet/SGA types, or do your best to maintain and acquire talent. OKC did it right. What the Jazz are doing is the Temu version of an OKC rebuild.

Unless they can make some strong trades and/or FA acquisitions this offseason, they probably should trade Lauri, because there is no point in continually floating into a pool of mediocrity.

I just want to understand one thing… why do we show out before trade season then at the trade deadline start tanking. Why can’t we start tanking during the bloody offseason? This is two years in a row.
I fully agree with you. I don't mind the trades at all but the fact that we take so long to make a directional commitment is stupid.

This no man's land is what is frustrating. Either full tank and get your Wemby/Chet/SGA types, or do your best to maintain and acquire talent. OKC did it right. What the Jazz are doing is the Temu version of an OKC rebuild.

Unless they can make some strong trades and/or FA acquisitions this offseason, they probably should trade Lauri, because there is no point in continually floating into a pool of mediocrity.
I can't decide if I'd be more accepting of a panic trade where we get the wrong star (think KAT or Lavine... not a star but you get the drift) or if I'd rather trade Lauri and tear it down to studs. I think the pivot point is this summer through the deadline but could totally see them straddle the fence for another year.

I can't decide if I'd be more accepting of a panic trade where we get the wrong star (think KAT or Lavine... not a star but you get the drift) or if I'd rather trade Lauri and tear it down to studs. I think the pivot point is this summer through the deadline but could totally see them straddle the fence for another year.
I think the direction and moves rest solely on if Lauri will do the renegotiate and extend. If you are able to get that accomplished then you look to add more win now pieces in the offseason. If he doesn't agree to that then you have to trade him immediately so you are able to fully commit to a rebuild. I don't think you can risk going into next season without full clarity when it comes to Lauri. Yes we could trade him at the deadline and likely get a pretty good haul for him but once again that late decision making would cost us draft positioning when you are now going full rebuild.

I think the direction and moves rest solely on if Lauri will do the renegotiate and extend. If you are able to get that accomplished then you look to add more win now pieces in the offseason. If he doesn't agree to that then you have to trade him immediately so you are able to fully commit to a rebuild. I don't think you can risk going into next season without full clarity when it comes to Lauri. Yes we could trade him at the deadline and likely get a pretty good haul for him but once again that late decision making would cost us draft positioning when you are now going full rebuild.
I think the renegotiate and extend happens and we could still move him next year during the year if he’s unhappy. Only way we don’t do it is if we are dumb (possible btw) or if Lauri knows he can get moved to a team that will do it. It’s such a no brainer for both sides that if he says no we should move him… if we say no we are dumb and he should ask out.

This 100%. We keep getting told "we're looking at the long-term, championship" .... but yet, we won't tank properly until we trade everyone and we won't go for a top 3 pick. It honestly feels like we're (the fans AND the players) are lied to every year. It doesn't take a genius to look at OKC and see how they do it right. Some times you have to tank a year or 2 to get some real talent and then you're set.... I guess we do draft like *** in top 5 though outside of Deron.

Well then you’re an idiot. And that may sound harsh but it’s accurate. Danny Ainge is the best GM in the league. He’s historically great. Many have him in the front-office GOAT conversation.
He might be in the conversation, but, honestly, if the point is to win championships, he's only won 1. The best has to be Jerry West (as much as I hate the Lakers), who has put together 8 championship teams, from 1980 through 2017. That's sustained excellence right there.

Last edited: