What's new

What's the point of keeping Lauri anymore?

Step-Back Lauri

Danny just tears it down again and Jazz will tank for Coop-stakes in 2025, I assume. When all these kids will be good enough to contend, it's almost 2030s. It would be better for Lauri and Jazz to capitalize in next twelve months.

Danny just tears it down again and Jazz will tank for Coop-stakes in 2025, I assume. When all these kids will be good enough to contend, it's almost 2030s. It would be better for Lauri and Jazz to capitalize in next twelve months.
So trading a couple pending free agents means we are tearing it down? Olynyk and Simone were not going to help us turn into a contender. What could get closer is hitting on Hendricks and Sensabaugh plus adding another quality guy with our top 10 pick. Then at the same time take the 25 million that it would have cost to bring back Olynyk and Simone and put it to use.

Not a tear down.

Point of these trades is to make sure Lauri gets paid and also to have flexibility to operate around that extension in the offseason. Also to make big splashes, you need draft capital. Its also damage control for the Collins contract, which he may some day live up to but taking which probably was a mistake by the FO.

Also we want to play the rookies, who have the potential to raise this teams ceiling.

Its not like we decided to not trade for some super duper guy who someone else snatched here. This was just about one of the worst deadlines ever for big transactions. We gave away players for picks because we couldnt take salary back due to reasons pointed above. You dont just buy random player to buy players. We tried to get a few guys we liked in the offseason, but that was not yet the time to pay premium prices.

So trading a couple pending free agents means we are tearing it down? Olynyk and Simone were not going to help us turn into a contender. What could get closer is hitting on Hendricks and Sensabaugh plus adding another quality guy with our top 10 pick. Then at the same time take the 25 million that it would have cost to bring back Olynyk and Simone and put it to use.

We just won OKC. We also won Bucks twice. We were on the way for historic upset. But lizard-people are controlling Danny. It's kinda sad.

We just won OKC. We also won Bucks twice. We were on the way for historic upset. But lizard-people are controlling Danny. It's kinda sad.
You have to be kidding me. There was no evidence suggesting we were on our way to a historic upset. Yes we beat some good teams but also lost to bad teams. We beat the bucks twice but the first time was without Lillard and the second time they ran out of gas in the 4th quarter on the second night of a back to back on a long road trip. Anyone that makes decisions based on a few wins or losses is asking for trouble. The big picture is what matters and keeping Olynyk and Simone doesn't get us any closer to being a contender. Adding a top 10 pick and Hendricks and Sensabaugh breaking out could get us closer. It really is that simple.

Because teams like keeping all star level players around.
Not if they're so valuable that they could be used to acquire a bunch of expensive assets that fit the contending timeline of the team much better. The coming 3-4 years will be pretty rough and it really makes no sense to waste the entirety of Lauri's prime over a stretch like that.

Lauri will renegotiate and extend but it remains to be seen if he's gonna be around much longer after that.

We are kicking the can down the road until our young players get good or we trade for another star or we hit big on a pick.

We have the ability to retain Lauri this summer or if it goes horribly OKC can trade for him this summer and do the re-negotiate and extend. Even on his extension he will have tremendous trade value... so we kick the can down the road. This year its fine... next year its a problem.... then we get into panic mode.

This is part of the challenge building from the middle.

I think I see the outlines of a general plan forming but if it doesn't go well it may be time to send Lauri out and go full process.

Also to make big splashes, you need draft capital.
You really, really think that the Jazz didn't have enough capital to make big splashes?

Also we want to play the rookies, who have the potential to raise this teams ceiling.
Not this team's. Maybe some other team in 2027, but playing rookies definitely lowers this team's ceiling.

You dont just buy random player to buy players.
Random players like Olynyk, Fontecchio, Ocahi, Collins, THT, Beasley and Vando?

I would say, based on two years of evidence, that buying random players is the exact MO of this FO.

I think I see the outlines of a general plan forming but if it doesn't go well it may be time to send Lauri out and go full process.

As Andy Larsen pointed out, Lauri has been the 13th best player in the NBA this season. It's completely unheard of for a rebuilding team to stumble on a 25/26 year old guy this good/valuable and not try to either turn him into assets even more suitable for its overall timeline OR, much more likely, start building around him ASAP.

We may still see the former option come to pass after Lauri signs his renegotiated extension, but the latter is definitely not happening.

It just feels like the fanbase sees Lauri as part of the scenery and doesn't fully realize that the likelihood of the Jazz drafting/acquiring a player as good as him within the next decade is almost zero.

As Andy Larsen pointed out, Lauri has been the 13th best player in the NBA this season. It's completely unheard of for a rebuilding team to stumble on a 25/26 year old guy this good/valuable and not try to either turn him into assets even more suitable for its overall timeline OR, much more likely, start building around him ASAP.

We may still see the former option come to pass after Lauri signs his renegotiated extension, but the latter is definitely not happening.

It just feels like the fanbase sees Lauri as part of the scenery and doesn't fully realize that the likelihood of the Jazz drafting/acquiring a player as good as him within the next decade is almost zero.
I started a different thread on what I think the plan is. I think some of the ammo we will get from these last 30 games could be beneficial to Lauri long term. I'm cool with the patience we are showing now. There were no moves that had me super excited. I would say by trade deadline next year the "plan" needs to be more firm and we need to have added around him. He will be good for a long time and his trade value will be good for a long time. He may end up being too far ahead of our timeline without the ability to add to him... for now I'm satisfied with what we did.

He will be good for a long time and his trade value will be good for a long time.
People keep saying this but IMO it's unwise to assume that Lauri stays healthy/productive far on the wrong side of 30.

He's a legit 7 footer who was a one-and-done and has probably logged more miles in the NBA than any big over the seven years he's been in the league. Lauri's style of play is extremely taxing on the body and he averages 30mpg over his career. It's not crazy to suggest that his longevity may suffer as a result.

Markkanen often gets compared with Dirk, but their playing styles are like night and day. Dirk saved energy by setting up shop at the high post while the offense moved around him (not to mention that be played in a league that had a LOT slower pace and less spacing), while Lauri battles for position and separation off ball like he's Reggie Miller.

Even if Lauri changes his game a bit when he hits 30, we can safely assume that his prime, both basketball-wise and physically, is taking place right now. What happens after his forthcoming extension is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
People keep saying this but IMO it's unwise to assume that Lauri stays healthy/productive far on the wrong side of 30.

He's a legit 7 footer who was a one-and-done and has probably logged more miles in the NBA than any big over the seven years he's been in the league. Lauri's style of play is extremely taxing on the body and he averages 30mpg over his career. It's not crazy to suggest that his longevity may suffer as a result.

Even if he changes his game a bit when he hits 30, we can safely assume that his best years physically are going to take place during his forthcoming extension deal. What happens after that is anyone's guess.
yeah maybe so. Thats not a huge concern for us right now. In the middle term he will be very good. If we can't put talent around him you trade him before he gets there. If you trade him now and then Key, Taylor become good... or you strike lotto gold... or you uncover a good trade. You may wish you had waited. I think the runway is like 8-18 months where you need to start really considering moving Lauri.

yeah maybe so. Thats not a huge concern for us right now. In the middle term he will be very good. If we can't put talent around him you trade him before he gets there. If you trade him now and then Key, Taylor become good... or you strike lotto gold... or you uncover a good trade. You may wish you had waited. I think the runway is like 8-18 months where you need to start really considering moving Lauri.

Edited and added to my post above, sorry about that

We were heading to a first round exit, if we made the playoffs at all. Not a historic upset.

I don't even like the trades, but we can still retool around Lauri in the off-season.
Two wins over bucks, demolishing Nuggets, tough road tour.... Aaa d back at beating... Hol up, checking it... Yep,Bucks and thunder.

We were on route of being the story of the century. I have seen lots of movies, I know my stuff!

Not if they're so valuable that they could be used to acquire a bunch of expensive assets that fit the contending timeline of the team much better. The coming 3-4 years will be pretty rough and it really makes no sense to waste the entirety of Lauri's prime over a stretch like that.

Lauri will renegotiate and extend but it remains to be seen if he's gonna be around much longer after that.
So you don't think teams like keeping all stars on their roster then.
That explains all the all stars who got moved today. Including Lauri
I'm gonna miss him but it will be fun watching what he does on his new team once I figure out just where the hell he got traded to

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk