What's new

What's this years starting lineup, when we're healthy?

Harambe

Contributor
Ok Kids..

I want you to really think. Think about what Sloan does... think about the last 5 years... think about reality, not what you want. What's going to happen... not what you want/should happen.

After Okur is back in form, do you honestly believe he's going to be coming off the bench?

Everybody is counting on him coming off the bench, and Jerry starting Sap/Jeff at the 4/5. I'm struggling to understand whether that's what you want, what you see happening, or if you know something I don't. I mean, it's probably a good idea. Probably the best thing for us. But with the Jehrmet Slokur history, I'm not convinced it's gonna play out like that.

I really see Jerry starting Okur. The question is, does he keep Milsap on the bench, or does he make Jefferson bide his time?

Ok Kids..

I want you to really think. Think about what Sloan does... think about the last 5 years... think about reality, not what you want. What's going to happen... not what you want/should happen.

After Okur is back in form, do you honestly believe he's going to be coming off the bench?

Everybody is counting on him coming off the bench, and Jerry starting Sap/Jeff at the 4/5. I'm struggling to understand whether that's what you want, what you see happening, or if you know something I don't. I mean, it's probably a good idea. Probably the best thing for us. But with the Jehrmet Slokur history, I'm not convinced it's gonna play out like that.

I really see Jerry starting Okur. The question is, does he keep Milsap on the bench, or does he make Jefferson bide his time?

D-Will (37 MPG)
Bell (30 MPG)
AK (30 MPG)
Millsap (33 MPG)
Jefferson (35 MPG)

Okur (28 MPG)
Miles (26 MPG)
Price (11 MPG)
Hayward (10 MPG)
Fesenko (won't play once Okur is fully healthy)

Okur won't be healthy when the season starts. Fesenko will play the back up role. Millsap and Jefferson will get big minutes. But once Okur is healthy Sloan will not want to change up the lineup because of the success we will have with Millsap and Jefferson together.
Bell is the best defender and 3 point shooter we have and Sloan trusts him more than Miles at the 2 guard position. Sloan also knows that AK was more effective last year starting and put us on a winning streak once he was in the starting lineup. Miles was also more effective off the bench and we need his streaky scoring off the bench.
Hayward is being over valued for playing time this year on this forum. He won't get as much playing time as we think. Sloan rarely likes rookies and I don't see Hayward as the same type of player as Matthews or Millsap. And I think we have better options. I think playing him consistently 10 minutes a game will get him ready for playing more minutes next season. And I honestly think Sloan won't be able to find playing time for him yet.
Hayward is mentally ready for the NBA (decision making). But I think he won't understand how to use his strength properly and that will keep him from playing as much as we would like.

How much Hayward plays will depend on a lot of factors. If Miles has to play a lot of minutes at SG and AK is the only b/u for Millsap, for instance... A lot depends on how quickly Hayward translates his lessons into productivity on the court. That's something Wes Matthews was exceptional at...

Ok Kids..

Okur came off the bench when he first joined the team and was out of shape. Sloan has had AK come off the bench. And even his best bud, Matty Harpring was relegated to the bench after all the injuries. I don't think it's a problem for him if Memo plays with the 2nd unit. In fact, Sloan LIKES to have a veteran presence on the 2nd squad.

I think Jerry will try a few different combinations. There's also a prevailing notion that it's better for players coming off injuries to start games. They go through warmups and then don't have sit for a while and enter the game cold.

In any case, I don't think who starts/subs will affect the overall number of minutes. Assuming every one is healthy, here's how I see it:

PG: Williams (36), Price/Gaines (12)
SG: Bell (28); Miles (20)
SF: AK (28), Miles (10), Hayward (10)
PF: Millsap (30); Jefferson (18)
C: Jefferson (18); Okur (25); Fes (5)

Bell, Millsap and AK win starting spots due to their defensive capabilities. Okur and CJ are perfect as subs; they give the Jazz two good shooters off the bench.

Raja and Memo are the two wild cards right now as both are coming off injuries. Maybe Raja can only go 20 mins/per. And if Okur isn't ready, perhaps AK will have to slide over behind Millsap at PF. We've also heard KOC is still searching for another big. Does he sign one or do he and Greg think the Jazz can get by as is?

Good point. The whole purpose of using AK off the bench last year was to get a vet with our 2nd unit. I actually think Okur will be better off the bench. All second units generally are less disciplined which will leave him open more frequently.
I was totally unaware how much better CJ played statistically off the bench, as has been pointed out in other threads.
As for the 'mystery' big KoC wants to bring in, I'm dubious how much he could contribute vs. moving AK over to PF for 10+ minutes a game and giving Hayward more minutes at SF. At this stage of the pre-season and our limited budget, who could KoC have in mind?

Never been a big fan of Memo but him starting as soon as he is ready is probably our best option. AJ's low post scoring makes the threat of Memo on the outside more valuable than ever. Tough to double team with two bigs if one of them has to come outside. Put Sap back where he belongs coming off the bench.

Al will start at center. Memo is 31 or 32, coming off a major injury, and will redefine the word slow. I think he will be downgraded to about 20 minutes a game next season.

I expect we will see

Deron (38), Price (10)
Bell (28), Miles (20)
AK (32), Hayward (16)
Jefferson (17), Millsap (31)
Okur (30), Jefferson (18)

At the start of the Year we will see AK at the 4 and some Fess or mystery big.

I expect we will see

Deron (38), Price (10)
Bell (28), Miles (20)
AK (32), Hayward (16)
Jefferson (17), Millsap (31)
Okur (30), Jefferson (18)

At the start of the Year we will see AK at the 4 and some Fess or mystery big.

Miles is going to play significantly more than 20 minutes a night.

I really can't weigh in on this until I see how Memo looks. Has there ever been an update on how he is doing?

Al will start at center. Memo is 31 or 32, coming off a major injury, and will redefine the word slow. I think he will be downgraded to about 20 minutes a game next season.

I've also set my expectations pretty low. I'd be happy if he could give us 20-24 minutes a night. I'll give him a pretty long leash all season... I just want him as sharp as possible for the playoffs.

Miles is going to play significantly more than 20 minutes a night.

Then we disagree. I could see Hayward getting less time and Miles getting a little but more. I could also see Bell splitting time with Miles at the 2. But I don't think that is really going to happen.

Also Gaines is the emergency point. Price is the emergency 2. Jeffers is the emergency 3. Evans the emergency 4 and Fess the emergency 5.

Deron
Miles
AK
Jefferson
Memo

This is what I think should be and what I think it will be once Memo is healthy. If Memo is healthy.

me too. When memo comes back millsap will prob go back to the bench UNLESS early on the duo of jefferson and millsap get the job done while memo is gone

Jefferson and Millsap will get the job done. No way Sloan changes the starting lineup almost half way into the season (when Okur is at full strength) if we are winning. As long as we are in a playoff position I don't see Sloan changing it. Okur might come back within the first 2 months of the season but it will take him a lot of time to get back mentally and physically. He won't be ready in time to start.