What's new

When will the next W be?

reignman40

Here are the remaining games for this year. Do we get a win by then or should we look further? I'm saying we win on Dec 27 vs the 76ers. That would give us a 17 game losing streak. Maybe if were lucky they win in Washington on the 14?

@ Sacramento
vs San Antonio <--- Duncan,Parker and Ginobili will stay in San Antonio while Pop brings bench trash and see what they can do while getting a win. Hell, Popovich might stay home himself.
vs Miami
@ Washington
@ New Orleans
@ Miami
@ Orlando
@ Charlotte
@ Memphis
vs Philadelphia <---W?
@ Los Angeles
vs Minnesota

Reactions: MVP
Here are the remaining games for this year. Do we get a win by then or should we look further? I'm saying we win on Dec 27 vs the 76ers. That would give us a 17 game losing streak. Maybe if were lucky they win in Washington on the 14?

@ Sacramento
vs San Antonio <--- Duncan,Parker and Ginobili will stay in San Antonio while Pop brings bench trash and see what they can do while getting a win. Hell, Popovich might stay home himself.
vs Miami
@ Washington
@ New Orleans
@ Miami
@ Orlando
@ Charlotte
@ Memphis
vs Philadelphia <---W?
@ Los Angeles
vs Minnesota

The most likely W's are Miami, Charlotte, Philly, LAL and Minnesota.

Sacramento will likely be without Cousins. But I don't think the Jazz can keep up with gay and Collinson. Sacramento wins. Unless Trey puts on a big show for his BFF Ty.

If they don't win in Sacramento the next best chance in Charlotte. Charlotte is slumping big time, Stephenson is sucking. But the jazz go there on the second night of a back to back, it is the 5 the road game in 7 nights and 5 days before Christmas. Jazz lose by 5. Losing streak extends to 18 games when Memphis crushes the last bit of fight in the jazz 71-95.

Jazz beat Philly on Dec27 on a last second heave by Gordon.

Depends on when Burks gets back

If all goes according to DL's master plan, hopefully sometime in 2018.

:D

I once jokingly posted that the spurs had decided that one way to extend their championship window was to send out front office and coaches to take over the other teams and then get those teams to suck. By replacing 'suck' with 'rebuild' it is basically true.

Well, with any luck, maybe we'll strike out in the draft. That way, DL will be forced to give up on rebuilding and sign some leftover FAs next year so we can get back to almost making the playoffs, or, dare I dream, squeaking into the 8th seed. Ah, the good ole' days.

Last edited:
Well, with any luck, maybe we'll strike out in the draft. That way, DL will be forced to give up on rebuilding and sign some leftover FAs next year so we can get back to almost making the playoffs, or, dare I dream, squeaking into the 8th seed. Ah, the good ole' days.
This false dichotomy you're pushing is odd. I've explained my position (repeatedly), and you continue to respond to some other **** I never said.

Do you think the Jazz are in better position to build a winner now than they were in the summer of 2012? Why/how?

Last edited:
This false dichotomy you're pushing is odd. I've explained my position (repeatedly), and you continue to respond to some other **** I never said.

Do you think the Jazz are in better position to build a winner now than they were in the summer of 2012? Why/how?

The only way we are in a better position is if Exum turns into a star. In every other way we are much worse off.

Define a "winner?"

PG: Harris, Watson, Tinsley
SG: Bell, Miles, Burks
SF: Hayward, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Favors
C: Jefferson, Kanter

Coming off 36-30 season. Certainly in position to be a winning team. Maybe 45-48 tops? That roster was never going to win 50 games. And that's what it may take to even get a playoff spot this season.

Didn't we have essentially the same team the next season? Tried to upgrade at PG with Mo instead of Devin. Finally gave up on CJ and brought in Foye. Strengthened the bench by trading for Marvin Williams. Yes, Utah had a winning season (43-39), but what good did that do? Jazz finished 2 games out of the playoffs.

Additionally, you can't keep all those guys. Burks, Hayward, Favors and Kanter were all on rookie deals. You have to make some choices, just as OKC did with Harden.
Let Big Al, Foye and Mo go. Re-sign Millsap and Carroll. Draft Trey to replace Mo. That was likely the strategy proposed by Kevin "re-tool" O'Connor. Valid strategy. What would be the end result? Do they ever win 50 games? Do they ever win 55 and get home court in the first round? We could argue about that, but I say no. Destiny, IMO: fighting for 7th/8th seed for a few years. Eliminated in 1st round each time.

Now, I'm not sure we'll ever see a 55-60 win team. But I do support at least TRYING to get a franchise player. Will Exum ever be a star? Will he approach Stockton-type status? Will we draft the next Karl Malone with our pick this summer? I have no idea. But as has been argued ad infinitum on this board, you don't "WIN" in the NBA without superstars. And if we can't trade for one or attract one via free agency (and Utah hasn't been able to do that in 35 years...unless you consider Hornacek a superstar), then the ONLY chance Utah has is to try to draft one.

To me, being a winner is aspiring to a championship. So I answer your question as this: the team in the summer of 2012 had ZERO chance of EVER being a winner. Right now? I have no idea. The team is incomplete and we just don't know how good guys like Exum, Gobert and our 1st-round pick in 2015 are going to be. Plus, we should have the cap space to add another high-salaried player. Ask me the same question at this time next season.

Last edited:
Define a "winner?"

PG: Harris, Watson, Tinsley
SG: Bell, Miles, Burks
SF: Hayward, Carroll
PF: Millsap, Favors
C: Jefferson, Kanter

Coming off 36-30 season. Certainly in position to be a winning team. Maybe 45-48 tops? That roster was never going to win 50 games. And that's what it may take to even get a playoff spot this season.

Didn't we have essentially the same team the next season? Tried to upgrade at PG with Mo instead of Devin. Finally gave up on CJ and brought in Foye. Strengthened the bench by trading for Marvin Williams. Yes, Utah had a winning season (43-39), but what good did that do? Jazz finished 2 games out of the playoffs.

Additionally, you can't keep all those guys. Burks, Hayward, Favors and Kanter were all on rookie deals. You have to make some choices, just as OKC did with Harden.
Let Big Al, Foye and Mo go. Re-sign Millsap and Carroll. Draft Trey to replace Mo. That was likely the strategy proposed by Kevin "re-tool" O'Connor. Valid strategy. What would be the end result? Do they ever win 50 games? Do they ever win 55 and get home court in the first round? We could argue about that, but I say no. Destiny, IMO: fighting for 7th/8th seed for a few years. Eliminated in 1st round each time.

Now, I'm not sure we'll ever see a 55-60 win team. But I do support at least TRYING to get a franchise player. Will Exum ever be a star? Will he approach Stockton-type status? Will we draft the next Karl Malone with our pick this summer? I have no idea. But as has been argued ad infinitum on this board, you don't "WIN" in the NBA without superstars. And if we can't trade for one or attract one via free agency (and Utah hasn't been able to do that in 35 years...unless you consider Hornacek a superstar), then the ONLY chance Utah has is to try to draft one.

To me, being a winner is aspiring to a championship. So I answer your question as this: the team in the summer of 2012 had ZERO chance of EVER being a winner. Right now? I have no idea. The team is incomplete and we just don't know how good guys like Exum, Gobert and our 1st-round pick in 2015 are going to be. Plus, we should have the cap space to add another high-salaried player. Ask me the same question at this time next season.
1. By winner I mean legitimate contender. You seem to have missed the point of all my posts on this topic...repeatedly. Go ahead and read them.

Is the team in a better position to build a contender today than it was when DL took over? Since DL took over, he let his best players (still to date) go for nothing, let other NBA rotation players leave for nothing, made a few trades (exclusively in the summer) that seem to have added very little value, and signed what were cheap, controllable lottery picks to bloated contracts. The assets on the team are losing value, the team has no stars, and DL continues to do nothing October through June. It's not a good sign.

2. OKC made a mistake trading Harden. Still, at least they got something for him.

3. I'd love a response to my post in the other thread.