What's new

Where has Alec Burks been?

Jazz4ever

His new found fortune seems to have him playing listlessly the first few weeks of the season. His PER is at a career low 11.3. He isn't necessarily sucking, but is just a wallflower out there.
Maybe it falls on Quin to call more iso's for him, like Houston does with Harden, there has to be a way to get more out of Alec Burks.

The way he is playing now, we could have probably waited till the end of the year and signed him for 6 million per.

I don't think he is less hungry, you are just seeing a player who isn't the most cerebral dude trying to fit himself within a system. I like that he is trying, hopefully he will figure it out. He looks slow and weak though and I hate his hesitation dribble.

The way he is playing now, we could have probably waited till the end of the year and signed him for 6 million per.

I know you are not so concerned but in addition we will lose Kanter because we will not be able to match the contract he will get. Time will show.

I know you are not so concerned but in addition we will lose Kanter because we will not be able to match the contract he will get. Time will show.

Yeah, not concerned about re-signing Kanter really.

Sucks that we might be dishing out a ton of doe to a 6th man. Hopefully Burks will figure it out. HE started off slow last year, no?

Sucks that we might be dishing out a ton of doe to a 6th man. Hopefully Burks will figure it out. HE started off slow last year, no?

he started out last year really slow to the point where we thought he was never going to pan out, but then he just started to click.

If he is worth it, DL can match anything. They are only at 50 million in salaries next year, and that includes opting in on Booker's option. The luxury threshold will likely be over 80 million.

$10 for a 6th man? I remind you that Jamal Crawford, the best 6th man of the league, takes $5,5.

Burks new contract would have been directly proportional to this year performances...I mean contrary to Hayward last season. So I think there was not the rush to give him the extension this season. I hope Burks will prove me wrong.

Kanter will get a big contract even if he sucks this season...by the way he is not sucking till now.

Remember Burks started really bad last season too especially in November. Hopefully he gets in the groove soon though. He looks a little hesitant right now. I support staying with our starting line up too see how it keeps doing. It's actually the 8th best lineup that's played 50 or more minutes in the league.

He has such natural ability that I think he doesn't focus on small fundamentals. Those two wide open jumpers he had in the first quarter, he always slowly rotates his boy instead of squaring his shoulders up. This flattens his shot and makes his shot less likely to go in. He doesn't set his feet and relies on his natural abilities instead of fundamentals. I still think he be a good value for the Jazz, he needs to pay attention to detail.

He needs to learn to pull up from ten feet or some kind of push shot instead of driving into the teeth of the defense trying to make low % layups all the time

Does anyone else think Burks has the least effective hesitation dribble in the league?

He was blowing by guys at will last year. . Either he lost a step over the summer or hes become too predictable. Somethings gotta change.

He was blowing by guys at will last year. . Either he lost a step over the summer or hes become too predictable. Somethings gotta change.

Way too predictable.

He can't use a pick effectively and everyone knows he wants to reject the pick, so they just overplay that side and let him ineffectively try to use the pick.

Defenders seem to know he is going to go for a crazy layup, so just use verticality to their advantage and let him attempt his difficult layups.

I haven't looked at a shotchart, but I still haven't noticed him making anything going towards the left side of the court, might be wrong that doe.

One of the most glaring absences from the pre-season (besides the whole defense is the most important thing so we don't bother signing anyone who can play defense) talk is the whole "attack at the 45" philosophy. Locke talked about it earlier, but Burke and Burks still haven't figured out how to do this.

I think he'll struggle until he finds a drive-and-kick game. I think Q could make things better for him by adding a few sets that make this kind of read easier for him. Right now, his drives put a minimum amount of pressure on the D because you know what's coming and what ain't coming. When his drives start contributing to an inside-out pressure, then things will open up for him because the defense won't be able to sit in their spots as comfortably.

I'm pretty pleased with his passing so far. Like others have said, he has to learn how to use a pick. A couple times a game it seems like his go-to move is: reject pick, pick up dribble, take giant Euro-step to let people know he has to put the ball up, get blocked.

Burks defense has improved, his passing has improved, his rebounding has improved (last game had 10 rebounds), his outside shooting is about the same.

Second on the team in minutes per game with 34.5 (Hayward is at 35 even)

He attempts to go to the rim less...... and gets to the line less, although his free throw shooting has also improved.

I think he needs to try to get to the rim more

Burks defense has improved, his passing has improved, his rebounding has improved (last game had 10 rebounds), his outside shooting is about the same.

Second on the team in minutes per game with 34.5 (Hayward is at 35 even)

He attempts to go to the rim less...... and gets to the line less, although his free throw shooting has also improved.

I think he needs to try to get to the rim more

Has it? I think his effort has improved thus far, but he still lacks discpline to the fundamentals. He is working on it, so I give him credit, but I have yet to really notice any substantial improvement.

The stats suggest he has regressed. The offense has improved, but somehow he has declined. I'm not giving up on him by any means, but the early signs this season say that Alec is worse in a less stagnant/more cerebral offense.