What's new

Where has Alec Burks been?

I think so. It's not great or even good, but still better.

The stats suggest he has regressed.

In some areas yes.
His three point percentage is the highest of his career and he is attempting more threes than ever before.
His free throw percentage is the highest of his career. Rebounds and assists are about the same as last year.
Turnovers are identical to last year. He is fouling less this year than last

His overall field goal percentage is down. (though still not as bad as Hayward in his 4th year)

I think he needs to attack the paint more

The stats suggest he has regressed. [/Q UOTE]

In some areas yes.
His three point percentage is the highest of his career and he is attempting more than ever before.
His free throw percentage is the highest of his career. Rebounds and assists are about the same as last year.

His overall field goal percentage is down. (though still not as bad as Hayward in his 4th year)

I think he needs to attack the paint more

The paint is typically wide open to attack. The problem is Burks can't get into the paint unless he has a pick to reject and get to the baseline.

The paint is typically wide open to attack. The problem is Burks can't get into the paint unless he has a pick to reject and get to the baseline.
We agree to disagree.
I don't see him trying that often to get into the paint.
Mostly I see him swinging the ball around the perimeter or shooting from the outside.

But these stats don't lie

His three point percentage is the highest of his career and he is attempting more threes than ever before.
Turnovers are identical to last year. He is fouling less this year than last

I think Burks is having a bad year so far.

But there are bright spots and I think don't think he has been as bad as alot of people think

I think Burks is having a bad year so far.

But there are bright spots and I think don't think he has been as bad as alot of people think

As I would have guessed, you've been very active in this thread. So, why don't you answer the question.... Where has Burks been? eh?

So, why don't you answer the question.... Where has Burks been? eh?

Utah, dallas, detroit, toronto, indiana, atlanta, los Angeles, new York

He's not been great, but remember how awful he was to start last year. He'll adapt and be better. He seems to be thinking a lot on the court and really trying to fit in vs. just doing his thing.

Eventually he can move to the bench and play the Super Sub Manu role, but right now we have no Danny Green. We are a year away from that maneuver. That should allow him to freestyle a bit more and spend more time in a creator ball handler mode.

Burks Stats past 2 years in November:
Code:
Value 	G 	GS 	MP 	FG 	FGA 	3P 	3PA 	FT 	FTA 	ORB 	TRB 	AST 	STL 	BLK 	TOV 	PF 	PTS 	FG% 	3P% 	FT% 	TS% 	USG% 	ORtg 	DRtg 	+/- 	MP 	PTS 	TRB 	AST
13-14    17 	3 	443 	62 	166 	7 	26 	41 	59 	13 	41 	38 	17 	4 	30 	36 	172 	.373 	.269 	.695 	.448 	22.6 	91 	113 	-9.0 	26.0 	10.1 	2.4 	2.2
14-15    9 	9 	315 	40 	101 	6 	20 	29 	35 	6 	39 	29 	3 	1 	21 	20 	115 	.396 	.300 	.829 	.494 	20.7 	96 	117 	-4.9 	35.0 	12.8 	4.3 	3.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burksal01/splits/2014/
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burksal01/splits/2015/

Scroll right for PPG, RPG etc. It looks like he is actually playing better than last November. Hopefully he can figure out whatever he did last year--and then remember for next season..

Burks Stats past 2 years in November:
Code:
Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/- MP PTS TRB AST
13-14    17 3 443 62 166 7 26 41 59 13 41 38 17 4 30 36 172 .373 .269 .695 .448 22.6 91 113 -9.0 26.0 10.1 2.4 2.2
14-15    9 9 315 40 101 6 20 29 35 6 39 29 3 1 21 20 115 .396 .300 .829 .494 20.7 96 117 -4.9 35.0 12.8 4.3 3.2

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burksal01/splits/2014/
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/burksal01/splits/2015/

Scroll right for PPG, RPG etc. It looks like he is actually playing better than last November. Hopefully he can figure out whatever he did last year--and then remember for next season..
Yep.

I also think that his game has the biggest adjustment period for quins offense. (He also has the least amount of starts of anyone in the starting lineup)

Kind of lame excuses though.
He really just needs to play better than he has so far. (I think he will)

There was one simple yet effective play Ty use to run with Burks and Kanter which I haven't seen this year. Kanter would post up near the baseline and Burks would come around under him and get it on a handoff. The trailing defender was rubbed off by Kanter, and Burks worked his magic at the rim for a dunk, layup, or foul.

FatWhirlwindDipper.gif

So let's remember folks.... Last year Hayward took on a #1 option role and for lack of a better phrase he sucked it up... But this year Hayward is showing his chops...

Fast forward... Burks has mainly come off the bench his first three years and was the main offensive focus for Ty in the second unit.. Burks is now adjusting to a new role, a starter, playing second and even third fiddle to Hayward and Favors, yet burks has improved his passing, looking good from behind the arch and near dynamite from the free throw line.

Now the past couple games he's crashing the boards and looking to drive a bit more!!

I could see a really big second half of the season for Burks when he understands his new role better and picks his spots to attack the rim...

So while I'm down on Burks thus early season looking at it with some logic... Burks is right where he should be and will be poised to pounce soon!!!

He sure showed up tonight. That flip behind his head was thing of beauty. We may very well find his contract to be quite a bargain.

So let's remember folks.... Last year Hayward took on a #1 option role and for lack of a better phrase he sucked it up... But this year Hayward is showing his chops...

Fast forward... Burks has mainly come off the bench his first three years and was the main offensive focus for Ty in the second unit.. Burks is now adjusting to a new role, a starter, playing second and even third fiddle to Hayward and Favors, yet burks has improved his passing, looking good from behind the arch and near dynamite from the free throw line.

Now the past couple games he's crashing the boards and looking to drive a bit more!!

I could see a really big second half of the season for Burks when he understands his new role better and picks his spots to attack the rim...

So while I'm down on Burks thus early season looking at it with some logic... Burks is right where he should be and will be poised to pounce soon!!!

Yup.... pretty much what i have been saying

He sure showed up tonight. That flip behind his head was thing of beauty. We may very well find his contract to be quite a bargain.

A bargain? No. Even with the cap raise, we overpaid based on market value. That contract was Lindsey being reactionary to Hayward's contract (which he screwed up too). Burks may play up to the value of his contract (still unlikely IMO), but I don't see him ever making that deal look like a bargain (unless the cap doubles).