What's new

Whistleblower allegations against LDS Church

What passes for a 501(c) nonprofit in this country is ridiculous.

Are you going to amass wealth? Then just do that. Stop associating your wealth gathering enterprise with Jesus ****ing Christ, Who fed and healed the poorest of the poor in Scripture.

homeless people cannot go to the Mormon church for anything. They are always referred to local secular homeless services. Even their own members that fall in the homelessness.

Why is Jesus a tax shield?

What does the government do for homeless people? Yeah, let's blame the mormon church because that makes sense.

I'm curious, are all these people bitching about the church taking advantage of not having to pay taxes so eager to pay their own taxes? Of course they're not. I guarantee they file their taxes so it helps them save money.

Boohoo.

Y'all are funny.

Whatever church does with it's money should be up to the church - like with any other organization. I just think they should be taxed like everybody else.

If churches are taxed then so be it. If they're not, I'm not going to cry about it.

Lots of people do.

Tell me this: is the book of Mormon a “covenant”? If so, then who exactly is covenanted to it? Because it talks about homeless people in there.

I think the LDS church was correct to move them selves away from the nickname “Mormon”. They’re not really into that book, or what it prescribes.

They should just call themselves the “church of multilevel marketing”, and pay the appropriate taxes.

This is one of the dumbest comments I've read on Jazzfanz.

You sure showed up the mormon church and the book of mormon, bro. You're so clever.

Honest question, why does it make you mad churches are exempt from taxes?

If your answer is because people pay tithing you're ignorant and probably just being a sheepleton.

Why does it bother you?

Whatever church does with it's money should be up to the church - like with any other organization. I just think they should be taxed like everybody else.
Taxed on donations? Or taxed on what, specifically?

I literally didn't, but go off.
I was too lazy to go back and read it. I did and you said: "because they are supposedly using that money for the public good, while instead hoarding that wealth, or using it for for profit endeavors." So, you did.

Should they give all of their profits away? Do they not donate their wealth? Do you?

I mean, to me, if you're criticizing this, you damn well should be giving your money to charity/etc.

Boohoo

This right here is the single most ignorant post in the thread.

Try sticking to topics you have at least a modicum of knowledge about.

I do. I actually worked for the homeless shelter here in Utah.

Again, what do they do? You make it seem so simple and blame the LDS church.

Cry about the book of mormon and covenants though. Lol

Boohoo

I was too lazy to go back and read it. I did and you said: "because they are supposedly using that money for the public good, while instead hoarding that wealth, or using it for for profit endeavors." So, you did.

Should they give all of their profits away? Do they not donate their wealth? Do you?

I mean, to me, if you're criticizing this, you damn well should be giving your money to charity/etc.

Boohoo
This isn't complicated, they've donated 40 million in the last couple decades. Which is not a bad thing! But compared to the hundred billion they're sitting on it's pocket change. Just from the interest gained on that account they could donate ten times that amount each year and still come out ahead.

This isn't a huge deal really, like I'm not about to go picket temple square or anything over this. I just think it's a little silly for an organization supposedly headed by Jesus Christ himself to be so concerned with accumulating wealth.

This isn't complicated, they've donated 40 million in the last couple decades. Which is not a bad thing! But compared to the hundred billion they're sitting on it's pocket change. Just from the interest gained on that account they could donate ten times that amount each year and still come out ahead.

This isn't a huge deal really, like I'm not about to go picket temple square or anything over this. I just think it's a little silly for an organization supposedly headed by Jesus Christ himself to be so concerned with accumulating wealth.

I don't know, man. Seems like you got a beef or some underling issue.

I left the church. It never wronged me, took my money, or mislead me. Lots of good people.

The LDS church is smart with their money. To me, those that bitch about it either have no money or aren't smart with their's.

I don't know you or Engorged, but I'm guessing you guys aren't swimming on money. You must point fingers, right?

I don't know, man. Seems like you got a beef or some underling issue.

I left the church. It never wronged me, took my money, or mislead me. Lots of good people.

The LDS church is smart with their money. To me, those that bitch about it either have no money or aren't smart with their's.

I don't know you or Engorged, but I'm guessing you guys aren't swimming on money. You must point fingers, right?
You're making a lot of assumptions here man. Not a great look for your argument to boil down to "you must be poor!"

Boohoo

If this and other reports about the wealth and the charitable spending of the church are even somewhat close to the truth, then I vastly exceed the percentage of my income that I give to charity than the church is contributing to charitable endeavors. It does seem that the church could easily give 10% of its wealth to charity, since they require at least that much from their members. Jesus talks much more about giving than he does about accumulating.

Reactions: MVP
I'm probably squarely in the median household income for JazzFanz. Still not sure what that has to do with anything.

I just don't see why churches being tax exempt "irks" people.

To me, it's kind of sad the amount of butt-hurt or anger people have for the church. They must have a completely different experience than I do.

The only people I know who are bitching about this are the type of people that blame their problems on everyone but themselves.

It's like people wanna lose sleep over this. Probably the same people that constantly bitch about Trump's tax's. I mean, I get it, kind of, but maybe I'm wired differently.

If the church did something wrong, then go after them. This isn't new or remotely new imo.

Them not paying taxes does not equate to being bad. I'm sure you look after yourself, why shouldn't they?

If this and other reports about the wealth and the charitable spending of the church are even somewhat close to the truth, then I vastly exceed the percentage of my income that I give to charity than the church is contributing to charitable endeavors. It does seem that the church could easily give 10% of its wealth to charity, since they require at least that much from their members. Jesus talks much more about giving than he does about accumulating.

When I was a member, I remember being constantly taught to be smart with my money and save.

How dare them. *anger*

To me, it's kind of sad the amount of butt-hurt or anger people have for the church. They must have a completely different experience than I do.

The only people I know who are bitching about this are the type of people that blame their problems on everyone but themselves.

It's like people wanna lose sleep over this. Probably the same people that constantly bitch about Trump's tax's. I mean, I get it, kind of, but maybe I'm wired differently.

If the church did something wrong, then go after them. This isn't new or remotely new imo.

Them not paying taxes does not equate to being bad. I'm sure you look after yourself, why shouldn't they?

Yes, obviously people have different experiences than you do. Here's one of mine. My mother made very little in her lifetime, and she has to live solely on her small social security income (and the charity of her children). But she pays 10% tithing (which is ridiculous since she has already paid tithing on her social security withholdings in the past), fast offerings, any money we give her, and every other thing the church asks of her because of the promise of future rewards. She is too afraid not to, especially as she is 82 years old and believes she will be meeting her maker soon. So this excessively wealthy church is making her life incredibly difficult to manage, and she constantly worries about money. So yeah, I do have a bit of a gripe about it.

Reactions: MVP

You're right man, it's just not possible to be critical of any organization unless you either have personal financial failings yourself or have irrational hate towards them. You've really nailed it.

But yeah, go ahead and point out any time I've blamed my problems on someone else, or said anything angry or hateful towards the church.

When I was a member, I remember being constantly taught to be smart with my money and save.

How dare them. *anger*
And you were also taught to give 10%.
I think her point is simply for the church to practice what they preach on that regard.
Btw I just want to make it clear that I'm a fan of the church

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app