What's new

Who do you extend?

Shad

We have Favors, Hood, and Exum all do for extensions. Obviously, we can't legitimately extend all of them. So, who do YOU extend? I'd personally go with Favors and Hood personally. All 3 are made out of glass but you gotta take what you can.

I would not extend any of them. They all need to prove something and maybe could be traded if they net something good. Hood and Exum are RFA so there is little to no risk of letting them hit free agency. Favors can prove himself and if he does we are one of the few teams with money to pay him.

Exum might be the only one I extend if he is willing to go for cheap/good deal. I worry some crap team might make him a big offer since they need to spend money and he is young enough to fit with their lottery picks this year.

Honestly though I would be surprised to see an extension for any of those guys.

resign Hood and Exum. Trade Favors by the deadline IF there is a good team that needs defense/big man for a post season push and might be willing to part with better assets (Cleveland comes to mind).

Hood/Exum are young and still have potential to be great. I feel like Favors has peaked and we know who/what he is as a player. I'd be happy to keep him here, but not for a big contract that will hurt us in the long run. My opinion is we have the PG, SG, & C spot locked down for a while so it's probably time to start looking into upgrading our PF followed by SF (Ingles is my favorite but we do need to start looking at upgrading for the long haul).

If you mean re-sign then I change my whole answer. I think it is way to early to say who we re-sign. Lets see how the next couple months play out and what trades are available at the deadline. Exum is probably a keeper to me unless we get a good offer for him. Hood and Favor being kept depend on how they play for the next bit and what their trade value is. If the Jazz dont want those players or dont think they can offer them enough, they should trade them but not until the deadline unless some really good offer is on the table.

Extend Hood. Let Exum and Favors prove that they are worth long term investment after full season.

Favors needs to go via trade for someone who can stay on the floor, I'm losing interest in the ever-injured Exum as well. Re-sign Hood and hope he can turn into the consistent scorer he is capable of being.

Extend Hood and Exum. Trade Favors before 2018. I would rather see Jerekbo, Sefolosha and Ingles play 4 than Favors.

5 points and 5 rebounds in 20+ minutes last night? What's crazy is that the guy averages like 11 points this year. Half of his points are coming from uncontested dunks because Mitchell, Rubio or Gobert set him up. He doesn't get to the line, or rebound, or spread the floor or really play amazing D.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Extend Hood. Let Exum and Favors prove that they are worth long term investment after full season.
They probably won't be about able to do that with Exum. If he doesn't play this year they will still have to decide to match his offer or not in free agency. If he gets a decent offer that will put Jazz in an awkward position. That might be better though than him coming back and playing well for a short period at the end of the season in limited minutes. That will get him a bigger offer.

When is the earliest the Jazz can extend the contract of a player who's current contract tragically comes to an end in 2021?

None of these players will be extended. I mean, we JUST had a thread not long ago about why Utah passed on extending Hood.

As for re-signing, Hood and Exum are both on the last year of their rookie deal. Good asset management means you want to re-sign both of them to reasonable contracts. Otherwise they should be traded, which is pretty dumb under most circumstances, due to their trade value being minimized by the uncertainty of someone throwing stupid money at them next year. If the right deal were to come along, then either one could be traded, but Exum especially isn't likely to be traded due to his current trade value.

Favors is going to be unrestricted and IMO likely to get an offer Utah can't really afford. I love Favors as a player, but I think his days in Utah are coming to an end. I'd probably trade him if we could get any decent kind of value.

P.S. Anyone suggesting we should give up on Exum is a ****ing moron. Utah has a good opportunity here to sign him to a value contract. Out of these 3 players, Exum is the most likely to be signed on a team friendly contract.

resign Hood and Exum. Trade Favors by the deadline IF there is a good team that needs defense/big man for a post season push and might be willing to part with better assets (Cleveland comes to mind).

Hood/Exum are young and still have potential to be great. I feel like Favors has peaked and we know who/what he is as a player. I'd be happy to keep him here, but not for a big contract that will hurt us in the long run. My opinion is we have the PG, SG, & C spot locked down for a while so it's probably time to start looking into upgrading our PF followed by SF (Ingles is my favorite but we do need to start looking at upgrading for the long haul).

I mean, hood is only a year younger than favors. I’d be hesitant to extend any of them.

It all comes down to the contracts. Exum has elite tools & legitamite reasons for having yet to develop. But injuries & struggles are a definite concern. I don't know what type of contact he'll be able to demand but at the right price, preferably on a 2/3 yr deal, he's worth the gamble imo.

Similar situation with hood. Shows flashes of potential #1 option but injuries & inconsistencies lead me to believe (depending on how the rest of his season plays out) he will get overpaid & there's a good chance that we ultimately regret it if we were to match. He's worth keeping on the right contract, but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

I like Favors but I'm still not completely sold on the long-term fit alongside gobert (especially now that Rubio appears to be part of the core) & his injuries are alarming. I would love to have him back as our 3rd big but that seems highly unlikely.

At the end of the day, we need as much young talent (with the right mixture of vets) as possible & all 3 have potential despite their flaws/risks. As long as it doesn't mean tying a significant portion of our long-term salary cap to any of them, I hope we're able to retain at least one at a bargain. Exum seems most likely.

I also believe we should explore trading them as well, hood in particular due to his presumably solid trade value & question marks/risks. But I woild only do so for young talent/picks or to avoid losing him for nothing as an rfa. How we handle hood, & to a lesser extent exum, will likely have a significant impact on the direction this franchise ultimately goes. This franchise can't afford to lose value without receiving any in return if it expects to contend long-term.