What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
Apparently the rumor is that JC is good friends with Ryan Smith. I saw a few Larsen tweets this morning. Whatever. He's the worst kind of chucking player we should have on this rebuilding team. He and Gay were out there doing their own thing last night and never taken out of the game. I didn't mind JC pulling that stuff off the bench when we had a veteran team. I would even laugh at it sometimes but on this squad he really needs to at least try to set more of an example for the younger guys and maybe mix in an occasional pass. Possibly someone like NAW does have some untapped potential but how can you demand him to play a team game while JC is out there just messing around only looking for his own shot and acting so entitled. Gay was doing the same crap. Please just give Gay's minutes to Fontecchio, Johnson,etc or to whoever is willing to play a team game. That's all I ask.
The most important thing about this season by a light-year is being ****ing terrible so I think it's just fine. I don't think we would've had a shortage of chucking guards if we dealt Clarkson, however.

As far as NAW or whatever, this is a sink-or-swim situation. They should not factor into the Jazz's plans moving forward, but if they step-up and show-out then great, maybe they can be.

I suspect the guys that get waived will have the lowest dollar contracts. That means Butler, Lee and Johnson are in the most jeopardy. It sounds like the team wants to keep Zeller so that could mean adios to Dok particularly if he's still injured.

I suspect the guys that get waived will have the lowest dollar contracts. That means Butler, Lee and Johnson are in the most jeopardy. It sounds like the team wants to keep Zeller so that could mean adios to Dok particularly if he's still injured.
If Zeller makes the roster we riot.

We must break the Zeller trade curse by waiving his ***.

I’ve considered that possibility. I think it would be a terrible mistake, but with Olynyk and now Zeller; and Dok with the injury history and unable to defend himself on the court, yeah It could happen.

Ideally they cut Gay, Butler and Lee and then put Butler and Lee on Stars deals. Johnson > Gay

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqaZ-Eg8o0&t=0h0m8s

Last edited:

In the end we’d have to pay the same amount of salary regardless. I think guys with one year left or non-guaranteed years left are more in jeopardy.

I think the Jazz are going to project ahead and expect that they'll trade Mike or Malik at the deadline. That will open up space for another guard or two on the roster. They'll only cut Butler if they've concluded he's not an NBA player. He's only had one season so far. Dok has had two seasons and hasn't done much. I could see him get cut or traded cheap.

Tis’ contra fortune that Udoka Timothy Azubuike shares a similar name to Sir Ime Sunday Udoka. The latter has gained carnal knowledge of an individual who produces relatively large gametes called eggs. This egg producing individual previously exchanged marriage nuptials with a Viceroy in the Celtic constabulary. Sir Ime Sunday Udoka shall pay via negative sanctions and a withdrawal of the reciprocity common amongst those with cooperative sympathies.

I think the Jazz are going to project ahead and expect that they'll trade Mike or Malik at the deadline. That will open up space for another guard or two on the roster. They'll only cut Butler if they've concluded he's not an NBA player. He's only had one season so far. Dok has had two seasons and hasn't done much. I could see him get cut or traded cheap.
I dont remember who, but some Jazz media person said something like they thought DA was a fan of Butler in the draft, so he might have a buffer from being cut.

* I could be imaging this, have no source*

I dont remember who, but some Jazz media person said something like they thought DA was a fan of Butler in the draft, so he might have a buffer from being cut.

* I could be imaging this, have no source*
Locke said he thought he heard Ainge was a fan of Butler... even though he didn't draft him. But he wasn't certain on it. I could see Ainge liking him. JB has just struggled with the opportunities he has gotten. My faith is wavering.

I think Udoka is very close to that Vernon Carey / Bruno Fernando space, where he's ready for a 2nd team to take a flyer on him. Maybe give him until the trade deadline.

Locke said he thought he heard Ainge was a fan of Butler... even though he didn't draft him. But he wasn't certain on it. I could see Ainge liking him. JB has just struggled with the opportunities he has gotten. My faith is wavering.
Ainge is a huge fan of Butler. He got his coach from there and colluded and tampered to get one of his guys there. The question is how he feels about a return of the Mack.

That's probably what Locke heard.

Here is a question I don't know the answer to. Could the Jazz restructure the contracts of a couple of yonger players and move them into the two way spots and just waive the two way guys without having the guys with guarantees be put on waivers? Asking for a friend.

I don't know why we feel like the Jazz would be OK just buying off Westbrook's 47 million dollar contract but would freak out about waiving 12 million dollar's worth of Rudy Gay. The only reason we have kept him this long is because he might make interesting trade ballast to equalize out salaries. We could use Doke for the same thing. I'm pretty sure he's gone.

I don't know why we feel like the Jazz would be OK just buying off Westbrook's 47 million dollar contract but would freak out about waiving 12 million dollar's worth of Rudy Gay. The only reason we have kept him this long is because he might make interesting trade ballast to equalize out salaries. We could use Doke for the same thing. I'm pretty sure he's gone.
Because the 12 million is on the books over 2 years, not a single year.

It's six million dollars Cy, what can you buy with that? A banana?

Seriously though, is the cap an issue next year?
I think teams just generally want to keep flexibility as high as possible. Maybe it's not an issue and they dont care and they will waive him. I do not know, just doing my best to guess what their thought process is.