What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
I think teams just generally want to keep flexibility as high as possible. Maybe it's not an issue and they dont care and they will waive him. I do not know, just doing my best to guess what their thought process is.
It’s beachside once you waive him you are locked in to his number. Not sure what the cap plans are but 6.8M does take some flexibility away. Unlike Westbrook who it’s a one year deal and we have already done what we need to with our space for the year. It’s also not a situation where Russ will raise his value and be traded for something to offset his cost. There is a world where Rudy shows he still has some juice and a team trades an expiring for him… so you save 6M or so.

Honestly… play him in preseason and if there isn’t an interested team I’d just cut him. It’s not his bad attitude… it’s not the salary… it’s just feeding him 15 minutes a night or so that could go to a developmental player is tough.

Then they aren’t great at player evaluation cuz he ***. Lots of ***.

It’s hilarious. Even if they do like him he ****ing sucks lmao. Like ok you got me the Jazz like a player who is trash and I don’t so I’m wrong lolz. Gotcha lolz.

Waiving Gay doesn’t come with draft picks.

No I mean to the question of why everyone is okay waiving Westbrook but less okay waiving Gay.
I don't think anyone here is against waving Gay, but we just don't think it's going to happen.

I think it's mostly salary matching. And honestly I think THT might have been about salary matching too (to an extent). Same with KO. Utah is going to have a good number of mid sized expiring contracts next year if they want to which are very valuable for trades.

And I know the joke is "oh if THT plays really well he will opt out"

I don't think that's going to happen. The best we can hope for with THT is progress, but I doubt that progress will be enough to make it smart to opt out of 10 million. But you might be able to develop him enough where his 10 million expiring is viewed as a positive asset both for the contract and potential further development.

Utah is going to have a good number of mid sized expiring contracts next year if they want to which are very valuable for trades.
This is a commonly repeated phrase for at least two decades and the times that they are moved (because of that specific value you mention) have been a significant exception.

This is a commonly repeated phrase for at least two decades and the times that they are moved (because of that specific value you mention) have been a significant exception.
Of course. There isnt always a trade available, but its good to be ready given the treasure trove of picks we have. You just never know when that star becomes available.

Not true at all... we just moved a contract like this and got (checks his notes)... THT... ****.

Of course. There isnt always a trade available, but its good to be ready given the treasure trove of picks we have. You just never know when that star becomes available.
I highly doubt we push in for a star next year. Given our draft pick protections and it would be early. Can only see it if Lauri and Sexton had a big jump and we landed Wemby or Scoot.

I refuse to see a silver lining in the THT trade and actually believe just like last year with the NAW trade that became the Juancho trade... this could become the Stanley Johnson trade. "It was no accident they got Stanley"

And I know the joke is "oh if THT plays really well he will opt out"

I don't think that's going to happen. The best we can hope for with THT is progress, but I doubt that progress will be enough to make it smart to opt out of 10 million. But you might be able to develop him enough where his 10 million expiring is viewed as a positive asset both for the contract and potential further development.

Rise in value (for others to see) that may only come through opening space through one, maybe two trades, that may not be there ?

Not true at all... we just moved a contract like this and got (checks his notes)... THT... ****.
It’s the perpetual hype machine. Any move that doesn’t look good gets new shine by theorizing why it sets the stage for a better trade that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the cope that gets us through the bad move, but time dissipates the wounds so that we’ve mostly forgotten it when ________ doesn’t actually end up getting moved for _________.

It’s the perpetual hype machine. Any move that doesn’t look good gets new shine by theorizing why it sets the stage for a better trade that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the cope that gets us through the bad move, but time dissipates the wounds so that we’ve mostly forgotten it when ________ doesn’t actually end up getting moved for _________.
That sounds like a "down payment".