What's new

Who gets waived?

Which player(s) will be waived before the season starts?

• Butler

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Dok

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • NAW

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Bolmaro

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Stanley Johnson

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Saben Lee

Votes: 53 60.2%
  • Gay

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters
I just like the idea that there is this angry Jazz mob ready to pounce should we play JB 20 minutes a night... but they put down their pitchforks if we decide to play THT.

JB's numbers per 36 are slightly better almost across the board than THT. Maybe he improves from his rookie year or maybe he's trash... but he is owed like 5% of what THT is owed the next two years.

I think both Butler and THT will get ample opportunity this year (if Butler makes the team) so it will be fascinating to revisit this at the end of the year.

He's actually LA Butler, overhyped 2nd rounders who are meh.
JB hasn’t had hype since last preseason. Even in this thread, 26/74 people thought he would be waived. Nobody’s talking about him. Nobody’s mentioning him being a future piece for us. Nobody’s talking about us having “the inside track” on being able to re-sign him.

They are not the same.

JB hasn’t had hype since last preseason. Even in this thread, 26/74 people thought he would be waived. Nobody’s talking about him. Nobody’s mentioning him being a future piece for us. Nobody’s talking about us having “the inside track” on being able to re-sign him.

They are not the same.
I mean, thats only because of market size. A lot of people here were very high on JB (myself included).

Players like JB are really hard to analyze- I think its easy to forget just how much of success at the NBA level is mental. We've seen stretches where JB, if he played that way all the time, would have an easy time making an NBA roster- but for whatever reason, he gets in his own way mentally. There really isn't a way to separate those out from watching people play in college, other than a few shining stars that are so good you know it will always translate- and they are usually in the first 3 or 4 picks in the draft.

Players like JB are really hard to analyze- I think its easy to forget just how much of success at the NBA level is mental. We've seen stretches where JB, if he played that way all the time, would have an easy time making an NBA roster- but for whatever reason, he gets in his own way mentally. There really isn't a way to separate those out from watching people play in college, other than a few shining stars that are so good you know it will always translate- and they are usually in the first 3 or 4 picks in the draft.
Sure, it's mental, but part of the reason it's so mentally hard for him because it's extremely hard for him to overcome his size/athleticism disadvantage.

I'd guess the final 15 is (barring trade):

PG - Conley / Sexton / NAW
SG - Beasley / Clarkson / Agbaji
SF - Simone / THT / Bolmaro
PF - Lauri / Vanderbilt / Johnson
C - Olynyk / Kessler / Udoka

Butler, Lee, Zeller, and Gay don't make it.

It’s the perpetual hype machine. Any move that doesn’t look good gets new shine by theorizing why it sets the stage for a better trade that hasn’t happened yet. It’s the cope that gets us through the bad move, but time dissipates the wounds so that we’ve mostly forgotten it when ________ doesn’t actually end up getting moved for _________.
Let's be honest. All our arguments can be categorized as the "perpetual hype machine." No matter which side we're on:

• chasing Wemby and Scoot
  • developing THT
  • keeping contracts for trading for a star
  • opening the books for chasing a FA
  • getting a "better" trade for Bogey
  • building a "winning culture" and not totally tanking
  • dreaming that we could have run it back by trading Donovan and keeping Rudy

All this and more is perpetual-hype-machine stuff, especially in the eyes of those who aren't on board. This is what the Jazz do. This is what we do. We build hope in our (own) vision.

Free agent power forward Bruno Caboclo, most recently with the Celtics, has signed with the NBA G League’s Mexico City Capitanes, a source informs Jared Weiss of The Athletic (Twitter link).

The 27-year-old was initially drafted with the No. 20 pick in the 2014 draft by the Raptors. From 2014-2021, the 6’9″ big man split his time between the Raptors, Kings, Grizzlies, and Rockets, plus their respective G League teams. He joined Brazilian team São Paulo FC for the 2021/22 season. Following a 2022 Summer League stint with the Jazz, he joined the Celtics on a training camp deal, before being released late last month.

The Exum experience at least had the injury disruption to lean in and say there was still potential there. THT just got overhyped by the Laker's media and the nation media that hangs around.
THT was actually decent for them in 2020-2021 and got solid minutes. Per 36 he averaged 16 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, just under 2 steals on 46/28/77 splits. His numbers got worse across the board last season but the Lakers just weren't very good last year without Bron/AD plus Westbrook playing.

He has the physical tools but one thing I've seen is that he seems to just lack a great feel for the game, kinda like Exum as others have mentioned.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNBq0oz3sE

I highly doubt we push in for a star next year. Given our draft pick protections and it would be early. Can only see it if Lauri and Sexton had a big jump and we landed Wemby or Scoot.

I refuse to see a silver lining in the THT trade and actually believe just like last year with the NAW trade that became the Juancho trade... this could become the Stanley Johnson trade. "It was no accident they got Stanley"
The one positive (assuming he opts in) is that we'd be set to have a ton of expiring deals that can be moved. THT ($11M), Conley ($24M), Clarkson ($14M).

Based on our apparent refusal to take back long term salary I think there's a chance we're players in free agency next year.

Some of the guys we could potentially target, imo, include: DeAndre Hunter (RFA), Gary Trent Jr (PO), Kyle Kuzma (PO), and Cameron Johnson (RFA).

We were linked to Hunter/GTJ throughout the offseason, Kuzma has ties to the state, and Cam Johnson seems like an Ainge guy. With Hunter/Johnson we could overpay and hope that their team doesn't match.

There are a bunch of players starting to hit the waiver wire. Here is a news flash: the 2020 draft was hot garbage for late first round early second round picks. OKC waived a couple of guys originally drafted by the Kings in that draft who were drafted around the time Elijah Hughes and Saben Lee were drafted. So this makes these guys having been cut by two teams. The guys cut today had pretty gaudy GLeague stats so I would think by the process of elimination that would put Bolmaro, Dok and Lee on thin ice. We will see if DA considers these three still prospects.

There are a bunch of players starting to hit the waiver wire. Here is a news flash: the 2020 draft was hot garbage for late first round early second round picks. OKC waived a couple of guys originally drafted by the Kings in that draft who were drafted around the time Elijah Hughes and Saben Lee were drafted. So this makes these guys having been cut by two teams. The guys cut today had pretty gaudy GLeague stats so I would think by the process of elimination that would put Bolmaro, Dok and Lee on thin ice. We will see if DA considers these three still prospects.

The late 1st round in 2020 was actually pretty good -- Quickley, Pritchard, Flynn, McDaniels, Bane, etc. The 2nd round not so much.

If the Jazz cut Dok, it will be because he just doesn't fit what Will Hardy is trying to do.