What's new

Who here is buying silver?

TroutBum

My Member's Premium
Contributor
Besides Duck.

$14.56/toz as of thirty seconds ago -- I started picking up 1oz rounds when it was just under $18.00 for ****s and giggles, and it's pretty addicting/fun to do. I know my 20 ounces or so aren't going to buy me a mansion, but it also won't break me if silver somehow tanks. I know some of you guys have got to be buying loads of it at this price, right?

Besides Duck.

$14.56/toz as of thirty seconds ago -- I started picking up 1oz rounds when it was just under $18.00 for ****s and giggles, and it's pretty addicting/fun to do. I know my 20 ounces or so aren't going to buy me a mansion, but it also won't break me if silver somehow tanks. I know some of you guys have got to be buying loads of it at this price, right?

Worst investment I ever made was buying silver. Back in '84 I bought 350 ounces at $6.34 an ounce. 3 years later I sold it for $4.51 an ounce. The only time it is a good investment is when there is a run on it, you make a few bucks by holding onto for a few weeks and then selling it. Anyone trying to make a killing is going to eat in the shorts.

Worst investment I ever made was buying silver. Back in '84 I bought 350 ounces at $6.34 an ounce. 3 years later I sold it for $4.51 an ounce. The only time it is a good investment is when there is a run on it, you make a few bucks by holding onto for a few weeks and then selling it. Anyone trying to make a killing is going to eat in the shorts.

So... you're not buying then?

It is normally a long term hold and more of a hobby than a real investment unless you have the cash to turn it for real like a commodity.

We buy rounds in our family, for the kids and for us and because I like collecting them with different faces from different places. Have rounds from like 12 different countries and maybe 8 or 10 different manufacturers. I also saw the price and went local and bought 20 from a German manufacturer. Got <1 euro over spot, which is not bad at all. I also have some bars and ingots. Largest we have is a 20 ounce monster bar. All told we have maybe 200 ounces. But even that isn't much of an investment unless the price really spikes. We could maybe sell and net 1.5 grand right this second. But it is a lot of fun to handle the silver, and it looks really cool.

It is normally a long term hold and more of a hobby than a real investment unless you have the cash to turn it for real like a commodity.

We buy rounds in our family, for the kids and for us and because I like collecting them with different faces from different places. Have rounds from like 12 different countries and maybe 8 or 10 different manufacturers. I also saw the price and went local and bought 20 from a German manufacturer. Got <1 euro over spot, which is not bad at all. I also have some bars and ingots. Largest we have is a 20 ounce monster bar. All told we have maybe 200 ounces. But even that isn't much of an investment unless the price really spikes. We could maybe sell and net 1.5 grand right this second. But it is a lot of fun to handle the silver, and it looks really cool.

Pretty much this.

My oldest loves to go to the coin store and buy rounds -- lot's of cool and interesting looking designs out there. We also like to buy junk silver coins. It's not smart to do it that way, from an investment standpoint, but it's a lot of fun to hold an 1800's silver dollar.

Pretty much this.

My oldest loves to go to the coin store and buy rounds -- lot's of cool and interesting looking designs out there. We also like to buy junk silver coins. It's not smart to do it that way, from an investment standpoint, but it's a lot of fun to hold an 1800's silver dollar.

Bingo. I inherited 8 rolls of Morgan and peace dollars (mixed) from my grandfather. A few of them are solid collectors pieces (we have 4 Carson city Morgan dollars if you know what that means... If not then Google). But I don't count any of the coins I inherited among my silver. It's worth more to me than I could ever sell it for. It's a very cool connection to the past.

Can anyone refer me to a book to buy that gives current prices for any and all currency both domestic and foreign, historically speaking.

Have a ton of different stuff. Some Civil War stuff. Like that.

Fwiw I'm not looking to sell anything, just looking to see the value of what I have.

Fwiw I'm not looking to sell anything, just looking to see the value of what I have.

Seriously best place to see approximate value is ebay. Otherwise books are outdated within months if not weeks. That market is too volatile unless it is established coinage such as Morgan or Peace dollars that remain relatively stable year after year.

Seriously best place to see approximate value is ebay. Otherwise books are outdated within months if not weeks. That market is too volatile unless it is established coinage such as Morgan or Peace dollars that remain relatively stable year after year.

So just look up recently sold of "x currency" on eBay and since it sold at that price, that's sort of the market price?

Makes sense I guess. ****ing despise eBay though.

So just look up recently sold of "x currency" on eBay and since it sold at that price, that's sort of the market price?

Ebay is awesome. I bought a beautiful oil painting that fills my entire wall for $150.

Well it is a starting point. I generally go there just to get a starting point. Sometimes you find things at great deals, other times they are overblown. But for the most part it is reasonably accurate to market prices.

Why in the world would you sell at a loss 3 years later? I totally get it if you were in a financial bind and the silver would get you out of it, but otherwise, why not hold onto it?

Stuff like silver and gold might fall far from where they're at, but they'll always have some value (even if only as a commodity) so it seems like something to hold long term. If there's a big spike in price then consider selling. If the price has dropped then just hold it. If things get rough sell for what you can get for it.

Silver is bull ****.

I love silver coinage and any other form of it. It's elemental, man.

I noticed your comment on the rare earths. price is really good, like gold. Nobody knows when they're walking on a deposit. Probably some good chance of finding a good deposit, even on what little land isn't locked up in national monuments and wilderness areas.

wanna go prospecting?