What's new

Who here is buying silver?

I love silver coinage and any other form of it. It's elemental, man.

I noticed your comment on the rare earths. price is really good, like gold. Nobody knows when they're walking on a deposit. Probably some good chance of finding a good deposit, even on what little land isn't locked up in national monuments and wilderness areas.

wanna go prospecting?

I love old silver coins.
I don't like silver as an investment.

Rare earths. It seems it's still new enough to allow for pioneering. Something of developing new methods of identification and acquisition of lands that will produce. I'd be very happy to simply buy and hold. Wait for China to flex its muscle through near monopoly and sell the deposits to the government or whomever for serious money and let them set up operations for extraction.

I love old silver coins.
I don't like silver as an investment.

Rare earths. It seems it's still new enough to allow for pioneering. Something of developing new methods of identification and acquisition of lands that will produce. I'd be very happy to simply buy and hold. Wait for China to flex its muscle through near monopoly and sell the deposits to the government or whomever for serious money and let them set up operations for extraction.

Our premier deposit, just off I-15 ninety miles south of Las Vegas, is a spectacular developing enterprise. . . brand new buildings setting a new style for "Mining Camps".

Studying old geological reports. . . . the ones where the govt. paid geologists to survey the country for mineral potentials back in the early twentieth century, is a very good place to start. Uranium is a "rare earth" and a guide to possibilities, sometimes. Placer deposits on huge scales dot the geological maps where ancient epochal mountain ranges were removed and sorted along streams. . . The rare earths are heavy, or dense, and sort like gold. Scandium and Titanium, though light, have some chemical similarities which trend to move through geological processes on comparable ways.

Developing new methods of identification and acquisition of lands that will produce is what is called for, and what investment money should be directed towards. Having a good geologist and good chemist on the team, a few good trucks and a mobile testing lab for screening samples quickly, with some kind of spectroscopic assay tool that can give an indication yea or nay, and a better lab where real analyses can be done efficiently, would seem a minimal setup.

I think there is potential in some of the areas you've been screening for archaeological sites. . . . and actually you can locate high grade rare earths on location with nothing more than discerning eyesight.

Bingo. I inherited 8 rolls of Morgan and peace dollars (mixed) from my grandfather. A few of them are solid collectors pieces (we have 4 Carson city Morgan dollars if you know what that means... If not then Google). But I don't count any of the coins I inherited among my silver. It's worth more to me than I could ever sell it for. It's a very cool connection to the past.

I sure do know what Carson City Morgan's are... My kingdom for a couple of CC's.

Fwiw I'm not looking to sell anything, just looking to see the value of what I have.

I don't know about foreign coin, but for US coin, the 2016 Redbook just came out. I have the 2015 Redbook and it has anything/everything in there. Fluctuation of price isn't really that big of a concern with older coin, like Log said, so the Redbook is a great place to find what you need. Along with price guides, it also helps you learn how to grade your coins, the history of the coins, where the mint marks are, the compositions of the coins, etc. Very valuable tool for most numismatics.

Silver is bull ****.

Disagree. I like it quite well.

I'd love to buy gold or silver. Just can't afford it. We prefer to keep commodities on hand which would have value in the case of SHTF or whatever else.

I bought some back in 2010. I bought 40 ounces at about 18 something. Then it went crazy and went up to 46ish or so, I sold at 44. I was stoked I made a little bit of money. Then it's been crashing ever since and haven't wanted to do it again.

I used to listen to these guys who did a radio show in Arizona. It was called the Patriot Radio News Hour. It was some Gold and Silver dealers who talked conspiracies and dooms day stuff but with a funny twist. They had me believing maybe I should buy some gold and Silver. Haha

I'm glad I sold it all before it all came crashing back down.

Who knows though. This may be another good time to buy. It's so low, and no doubt inflation keeps rising, so it's true value will probably keep rising too. Then if we have another financial crisis you can make some money off the more fear mongering that will go on again. It looks like it's a pretty fair value. I can't see it going down to the levels of like 4 dollars an ounce. I think it's probably permanently past that point.

Financial advice from Hack.

You are welcome.

Trout, has you received the mail yet?? Should have arrived in Utah by now. Also, you still owe me señor.