What's new

Who is more valuable to our playoff success...

Who are our most valuable players for playoff success...pick 5

• Total voters

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
Who is more valuable to the team. We know who our primary trade bait is, but here is the main group. Rank them by picking the 5 most valuable players to the team's playoff success.

I have left out obvious non-trade targets in Mitchell, Gobert, Conley.

Otherwise, who should we keep? The least valuable are maybe who we should shop around.

Note, I do not mean who has the best stats or who might have the most value in a trade, or who can we trade or not trade or anything like that.

I am looking for who makes us better in the playoffs. That is the only criteria here.

Since I excluded 3, and 6 to 8 is a normal playoff rotation, let's get a good mix and pick your top 5 most valuable players to our playoff success.

Note, I also left out the obvious bottom guys who would more or less be filler in a trade, such as Hughes, Doke, Fitts, etc.

Another way to look at this is if you could only keep 5 on this list for the playoff roster this season, who would it be.

And if you want to pick less than 5, I guess that is fine, but try to pick your top 5 to better parity.

It has to be Bogey, Joe, Gay, JC and Royce. As good as Whiteside has been he's only playing about 15 minutes a night right now and that's going to go down even more in the playoffs when rotations are shortened and starters play more minutes, plus teams play a lot more small ball in the playoffs and often don't use traditional centers. Butler and Oni are for sure never getting on the floor in the playoffs and Forrest and Pascall likely won't get any minutes either unless there are injuries.

It has to be Bogey, Joe, Gay, JC and Royce. As good as Whiteside has been he's only playing about 15 minutes a night right now and that's going to go down even more in the playoffs when rotations are shortened and starters play more minutes, plus teams play a lot more small ball in the playoffs and often don't use traditional centers. Butler and Oni are for sure never getting on the floor in the playoffs and Forrest and Pascall likely won't get any minutes either unless there are injuries.
Yeah but Whiteside per36 is simply insane. He has been very valuable so far.

His per 36 is insane. See below for a comparison with Rudy. I do believe Quin will be playing Whiteside in the playoffs and the idea of us going small is more a fan-driven consensus completely separate from Quin. I think there are some weaknesses there but I think Hassan's minutes will provide more valuable than the Favors minutes last year.

Rudy per 36: 17.5 points, 16.8 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 73.8% FG, 67.5% FT on 7.2 attempts.
Hassan per 36: 17.6 points, 15.7 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 60.8% FG, 72.2% FT on 5 attempts.

The craziest stat, though, is that they both play exactly the same amount of minutes per 36 minutes.

Whiteside is critical to keeping our rebounding and some semblance of defense in tact when Rudy sits.
Clarkson is critical to beating switches and scoring off the bench. He's the X-factor that teams can't really scheme for. If you trade Clarkson, you need to bring back scoring and some creation.
Bogey is critical to spacing the floor and being a reliable shooter who can punish mismatches. We'll need him to have some big games when defenses key in on Donovan and Rudy.
Gay is critical to our rebounding and defensive size without hurting our spacing. If we match up with the Lakers, he'll have to guard Davis.

Now the question is -- who do you want as our two-way, glue guy? Do you want Joe or Royce?

His per 36 is insane. See below for a comparison with Rudy. I do believe Quin will be playing Whiteside in the playoffs and the idea of us going small is more a fan-driven consensus completely separate from Quin. I think there are some weaknesses there but I think Hassan's minutes will provide more valuable than the Favors minutes last year.

Rudy per 36: 17.5 points, 16.8 rebounds, 2.5 blocks, 73.8% FG, 67.5% FT on 7.2 attempts.
Hassan per 36: 17.6 points, 15.7 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, 60.8% FG, 72.2% FT on 5 attempts.

The craziest stat, though, is that they both play exactly the same amount of minutes per 36 minutes.
That is nuts. We basically have Rudy and then Rudy 2.0 on the floor the entire game. Wow.

Interesting that Rudy Gay appears to be the early consensus guy.

Whiteside is critical to keeping our rebounding and some semblance of defense in tact when Rudy sits.
Clarkson is critical to beating switches and scoring off the bench. He's the X-factor that teams can't really scheme for. If you trade Clarkson, you need to bring back scoring and some creation.
Bogey is critical to spacing the floor and being a reliable shooter who can punish mismatches. We'll need him to have some big games when defenses key in on Donovan and Rudy.
Gay is critical to our rebounding and defensive size without hurting our spacing. If we match up with the Lakers, he'll have to guard Davis.

Now the question is -- who do you want as our two-way, glue guy? Do you want Joe or Royce?

I actually think our bench scoring would be fine without him because he's so inefficient and shoots such low percentages. If we spread the shots he takes to our more efficient offensive bench guy's like Joe, Gay and Whiteside we should be fine. Plus either Conley or Mitchell is almost always out there with the bench and could pick up the scoring slack with the bench units.

I actually think our bench scoring would be fine without him because he's so inefficient and shoots such low percentages. If we spread the shots he takes to our more efficient offensive bench guy's like Joe, Gay and Whiteside we should be fine. Plus either Conley or Mitchell is almost always out there with the bench and could pick up the scoring slack with the bench units.
I go back and forth on Jordan. Last couple games he seems to be sharing the ball and getting his inside the natural flow of the offense. My biggest issue with him is when he is just shooting everything and forcing things. It’s almost like there are two offenses… when he’s on it’s fine… when he’s off it seems to gum up the offense.

We have enough creation with Joe, Mike or Don, and Rudy… jc doesn’t need to go nuts. But if he can be more like the guy we saw against the clips then he’s a huge boost.

Now tonight he will go 1/8 from three and make me crazy.

I go back and forth on Jordan. Last couple games he seems to be sharing the ball and getting his inside the natural flow of the offense. My biggest issue with him is when he is just shooting everything and forcing things. It’s almost like there are two offenses… when he’s on it’s fine… when he’s off it seems to gum up the offense.

We have enough creation with Joe, Mike or Don, and Rudy… jc doesn’t need to go nuts. But if he can be more like the guy we saw against the clips then he’s a huge boost.

Now tonight he will go 1/8 from three and make me crazy.

He has seemed a little more willing to share the ball the past couple of games and he's at least been looking to score inside more instead of just shooting 3 after 3. I'm going to need to see him keep doing this for a long time before I believe he's actually changed the way he plays. I'd be absolutely fine with keeping the rotation in tact the rest of the season and not making any major moves but if we do move a rotation piece he's the guy I'd trade.

Whiteside's been pretty good at keeping us from falling to pieces when Rudy sits. But I have a feeling we're going to try to smallball with Gay more in the playoffs, so he gets the nod for me there.

Our team pretty much lives or dies based on how well our second tier guys are hitting their threes. Jordan may be the most crucial of those, just because he's going to have the opportunity and the ability to shoot us out of those games if he's off. Or put another way, whether he is playing well or not may have the biggest individual effect on how we do in the playoffs.

I need 6 votes. IMO Hassan has to be on there. If we do small ball at all, it will be limited and the truth is we are not designed for small ball even with Gay replacing Rudy. So I had to choose between Royce and Joe as my last pick and I want both.

Interesting. Right now it stands 12 votes each for Bogey, Buckets, and Gay, and 9 apiece for Clarkson, Ingles and Whiteside.

Why is JazzAvenues not an option? As long as he keeps posting, we gonna be good.
I told you, i didn't list people who are obviously already our top guys. Duh.

More valuable than joe for sure. Joe has kind of sucked

This is the correct answer. Royce vs joe is tough but I go with Royce. Joe seems like he finally got old on the court.

That is nuts. We basically have Rudy and then Rudy 2.0 on the floor the entire game. Wow.
I think rudy is still a much better defender as far as being disruptive and being everywhere. Hasaan has been a revelation though and we couldn't ask for anything more from our backup.