What's new

Who should start?

thebrazilianzz

Ever since I started reading this forum again, I've seen many people talking about who should start, Favors or Millsap.

I never understood why Millsap wants to start so bad, I always thought that as long as someone gets a lot of minutes, it doesn't matter if they start or not. Apparently Favors feels the same way:

"I want to play more than what I played last year," Favors admitted. "If it's starting, cool. If it's coming off the bench, cool. I don't mind. I just want to play more. I don't want to sit on the bench no more."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...Favors-looking-to-have-a-breakout-season.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to mock "Who sould start"

But I realized I was gonna have a bad time. :(

That's what happens when you post in a hurry while at work. I tried to edit after, but I wasn't able to do so... Am I too dumb to figure it out or is it just not possible? If I had to bet on it, I would go with the first option.

I think Favors should start over Millsap. For three reasons, Favors is the future, he showed he is ready in the playoffs, and the Jazz need scoring off the bench.

Having a starting lineup of Mo. Williams, Hayward, M. Williams, Favors, and AJ. With the bench being Tinsley, Burks, Carroll, Millsap, Kanter. The bench could run more and Millsap and Burks would be the main scorers. If more scoring was needed then you keep a starter on the floor when the second unit comes out.

Fourth quarter would be determined by who is playing the best. Perhaps an exchange of Millsap for AJ and Favors moves to the five.

I think Favors should start over Millsap. For three reasons, Favors is the future, he showed he is ready in the playoffs, and the Jazz need scoring off the bench.

Having a starting lineup of Mo. Williams, Hayward, M. Williams, Favors, and AJ. With the bench being Tinsley, Burks, Carroll, Millsap, Kanter. The bench could run more and Millsap and Burks would be the main scorers. If more scoring was needed then you keep a starter on the floor when the second unit comes out.

Fourth quarter would be determined by who is playing the best. Perhaps an exchange of Millsap for AJ and Favors moves to the five.

Yes.

I really think Favors should start. And Millsap. I like a lineup of Mo Williams, Hayward/Foye, Marvin Williams, Millsap, Favors.

And Bring AJ off the bench where he`s better suited - guy`s too slow and/or not in shape enough to play heavy minutes.

That's what happens when you post in a hurry while at work. I tried to edit after, but I wasn't able to do so... Am I too dumb to figure it out or is it just not possible? If I had to bet on it, I would go with the first option.

Only the mods can edit thread titles, so don't feel bad. As to the topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind seeing Favors start and Millsap coming off the bench. My only hope is that Millsap wouldn't let coming off the bench instead of starting affect his play.

This is why I want to see AL traded. It s not that he is a bad player, and in the short run, the Jazz may not be quite as good a team without him, but both Favors and Millsap need to be on the floor most of the time in order for the Jazz to become the team they can be.

I am tired of the Millsap is too short routine. He has proven he is effective. I also disagree that Favors loses his physical advantage at the five. Those positions are almost identical in the Jazz system. Have them guard who you want them to guard regardless of whether you call them a four or a five. Where there is a disadvantage in one respect, there is an opportunity to create an advantage in another.

The Jazz will be a better team with both Favors and Millsap on the floor most of the time. They need to find a way to make that happen.

Only the mods can edit thread titles, so don't feel bad. As to the topic of the thread, I wouldn't mind seeing Favors start and Millsap coming off the bench. My only hope is that Millsap wouldn't let coming off the bench instead of starting affect his play.

It is a contract year for Millsap. If he lets it affect him, it hurts his payday. He wouldn't let that happen.

It is a contract year for Millsap. If he lets it affect him, it hurts his payday. He wouldn't let that happen.

Good point. Plus Millsap has always played with a chip on his shoulder his whole career after being drafted as low as he was. He's good at funneling his emotions into effective play on the court.

This is why I want to see AL traded. It s not that he is a bad player, and in the short run, the Jazz may not be quite as good a team without him, but both Favors and Millsap need to be on the floor most of the time in order for the Jazz to become the team they can be.

I am tired of the Millsap is too short routine. He has proven he is effective. I also disagree that Favors loses his physical advantage at the five. Those positions are almost identical in the Jazz system. Have them guard who you want them to guard regardless of whether you call them a four or a five. Where there is a disadvantage in one respect, there is an opportunity to create an advantage in another.

The Jazz will be a better team with both Favors and Millsap on the floor most of the time. They need to find a way to make that happen.

all this is true. excellent post. unfortunately, if jefferson is still on the roster on opening night, i think they may need to start him just to keep his trade value high through the deadline. pretty hard to move a 15-million-dollar backup.

that's why i'm hoping for a trade... even though it sure looks and feels as though they're done moving this offseason.

Favors has already cleared up the issue in my mind with his quote in the other thread. Start Jefferson and Millsap - IF you want to mainatin trade value or the chance of re-signing them next summer. Favors is okay with coming off the bench as long as he plays more than he did last season. Have all 3 average in the 30 min range (which means a few less mins. for Al). And you simply give a rest here and there to any of the three showing signs of an injury, however slight. That will create enough PT for Kanter.

Favors has already cleared up the issue in my mind with his quote in the other thread. Start Jefferson and Millsap - IF you want to mainatin trade value or the chance of re-signing them next summer. Favors is okay with coming off the bench as long as he plays more than he did last season. Have all 3 average in the 30 min range (which means a few less mins. for Al). And you simply give a rest here and there to any of the three showing signs of an injury, however slight. That will create enough PT for Kanter.

that leaves 6 minutes per game for kanter.