What's new

Who should start?

Even if we didn't have to contend with the politics of contracts and extensions, there simply aren't enough minutes to go around. While it certainly feels like they are done moving pieces, I don't understand it.

that leaves 6 minutes per game for kanter.

Perfect. Oh wait, we're building a perennial 4-6 seed based on Kanter's potential.

I'm going with Jeff, Sap, the rest, until Favors earns Sap's spot--hopefully 15-20 in MAX. I'm a huge Sap fan but he's the odd man out. I'd love to see him get opportunity elsewhere, & love it even more if the Jazz receive a solid 2-3 for him.

One piece, homies.

Does anyone else get the feeling we might have some unhappy players this year? A lot of guys are in contract years. And not enough minutes to go around. Can't be good for chemistry.

Does anyone else get the feeling we might have some unhappy players this year? A lot of guys are in contract years. And not enough minutes to go around. Can't be good for chemistry.

We have had unhappy players every year. I'm pretty sure every team does.

that leaves 6 minutes per game for kanter.
I'm also allowing for injuries. Kanter may play 6 mins one night, but 25 the next due to an injury or foul trouble by one of the bigs. Millsap could also see time at the 3.

Not, it's not ideal, but I think Corbin and KOC/Lindsey may try to muddle their way through this season with the 4 bigs and see how FA shakes out next summer. My prediction is that they'll try to extend Favors (and Hayward) and sign one of the bigs. But if they want Millsap and he's too expensive, they'll turn to Al. Or maybe they want Al (leaving Derrick at PF), but Jefferson will want too much.

Even if we didn't have to contend with the politics of contracts and extensions, there simply aren't enough minutes to go around. While it certainly feels like they are done moving pieces, I don't understand it.
Injuries will take care of some of that. Last season, the bigs averaged:

Jefferson - 34.0
Millsap - 32.8
Favors - 21.3
Kanter - 13.2

That totals 101+ mins. The difference was not playing the big lineup as much as it was Jefferson missing 5 games, Millsap 2 and Favors 1. Kanter played in all 66. Jazz were EXTREMELY lucky to have all 4 bigs pretty healthy. At some point, that luck will probably change. Just look at what happened with the wings and PG's.

If a big goes down for an extended period of time, it will be nice to have the other three get more time vs. having to turn to a player like Elson or Collins. The same can be said of the Jazz' depth at the 2/3 slots. Only PG is thin if Mo gets hurt.

Millsap will likely see 6-10 mins at SF

doubt it. not with this year's roster. he did it last year out of necessity because our wings sucked. marvin/hayward/burks/foye/carroll/murph would have to seriously underperform expectations in order for millsap to see anything other than rare matchup-dictated stretches at the 3.

I'm also allowing for injuries. Kanter may play 6 mins one night, but 25 the next due to an injury or foul trouble by one of the bigs.

that's an awful way to give a guy a chance to develop. if you want to kill a guy's career before it ever started, never give him a clear role or set expectations.

i mean, kanter can't be the top priority based on how he's played so far, but c'mon, we have to give him something work with. we spent a friggin' 3rd pick on the guy, let's give him a SHOT at improving.

Favors and Sap should start, but I don't see Al coming off the bench. So in that case Favors and Al should start.

Perfect. Oh wait, we're building a perennial 4-6 seed based on Kanter's potential...I'm a huge Sap fan but he's the odd man out.
What do you think the Jazz can build around Jeff? 4-6 seed is a pipe dream.

why not rotate starters for a while, and see what works best,
or give them each 55 starts, assuming no injuries.

that's an awful way to give a guy a chance to develop. if you want to kill a guy's career before it ever started, never give him a clear role or set expectations.

i mean, kanter can't be the top priority based on how he's played so far, but c'mon, we have to give him something work with. we spent a friggin' 3rd pick on the guy, let's give him a SHOT at improving.
The SL showed Kanter isn't even capable of dominating scrubs. We spent a 3rd pick on a guy who should have gone late lottery in any other draft. Kanter isn't DeMarcus Cousins. He isn't even Derrick Favors, who averaged 20 and 21 mins. his first two years. Even with the "logjam" Utah had, Kanter still played in every game and averaged 13 mins/per last season.

There's nothing wrong with having enough depth to withstand an injury to a starter. Remove Millsap or Jefferson and we're expecting Kanter to play 30 mins? And then Evans? to fill in for 6-8 every night and up to 30 mins when one of the 3 remaining bigs misses a game. Lottery here we come!

Winning takes care of a lot of grumbling. And free agency will take care of at least one roster spot next season. Will that be Paul or Al? I think that's the dilemma the FO faces. They may know who they want to keep - or it may depend on this season. Then it comes down to $ and years and who wants to stay at the Jazz' price.

Wi
Bu
Ha
Fa
Je
BOOM-BITCHES1.gif
1.gif
MovingBooom.gif
1.gif
BOOM-BITCHES1.gif

Last edited:
you and i watched different summer leagues then. i saw a lot of progress from kanter, although that isn't even the point.

the point is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get better without getting a role. and i don't say any of this because i'm a kanter fan or because i think we owe him anything. we invested a pretty significant asset in enes kanter -- a top 3 pick. now, if we missed with that pick, then we missed with that pick, but the organization owes it to ITSELF -- in the strictest, most utilitarian/machiavellian way -- to ensure they've given kanter every chance to succeed.

that doesn't mean giving him 40 minutes (giving a guy minutes he hasn't earned can hamper development, too, and giving a guy a role in which he's desinted to fail will kill confidence and stunt growth), but it does mean you have to give him a consistent role and a chance to get better. no, he didn't drop 20-and-10 in summer league play, but he has been improving in subtler ways. we all knew when he was drafted that it would take some time for a 19-year-old kid who had basically not played high-level competitive basektball for 2 years. i don't know that there's a specific schedule for kanter, but i would say in general terms that he's on schedule and still has plenty of opportunities to get better, unless we give up on him 12 months into his pro career.

planning for injuries to magically solve a logjam is generally pretty bad practice, too.