What's new

Who to pair with Lauri and Keyonte?

SoberasHotRod

I'm sold on Keyonte as our PG of the future. I think he could be Deron Williams good on offense. Lauri is obviously someone we need to keep long term.

What types of players do we need to surround them with, and how do we obtain them?

(Personally, I think Kessler is the other player we are building around, but I know not everyone agrees)

I'm sold on Keyonte as our PG of the future. I think he could be Deron Williams good on offense. Lauri is obviously someone we need to keep long term.

What types of players do we need to surround them with, and how do we obtain them?

(Personally, I think Kessler is the other player we are building around, but I know not everyone agrees)

We need a bigger wing who can create their own shot like a Paul George type player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this becomes the inherent dilemma as we may not be able to be very choosey, but on the other hand there's definitely guys that it's not, and that's someone like a LaVine. Unfortunately enough, that's exactly the kind of treasures available when you open up the prize box. Unless we're really throwing a lot of picks on the table for someone that maybe has an uncertain contract situation or has some kind of different flaw. I'd be comfortable with a Jaylen Brown, which obviously comes with its own issues (soon people would mention him not creating for himself or this that and the other) but to me, those are much preferable problems to have than the problems with guys like LaVine. We'd have to clear out the pantry. But if you're betting big on George being that creation guy then you need to go out and get the rest of the talent.

I think that Ochai is progressing pretty nicely and could see him as being a core piece. If I go off the bigger sample size of last year (and believe in that sample size) then I think Kessler could be part of the future jazz core. I think he is a really good player at what he does but the modern nba game can really make his value drop so its tough with him.

I think this becomes the inherent dilemma as we may not be able to be very choosey, but on the other hand there's definitely guys that it's not, and that's someone like a LaVine. Unfortunately enough, that's exactly the kind of treasures available when you open up the prize box. Unless we're really throwing a lot of picks on the table for someone that maybe has an uncertain contract situation or has some kind of different flaw. I'd be comfortable with a Jaylen Brown, which obviously comes with its own issues (soon people would mention him not creating for himself or this that and the other) but to me, those are much preferable problems to have than the problems with guys like LaVine. We'd have to clear out the pantry. But if you're betting big on George being that creation guy then you need to go out and get the rest of the talent.
I love Jaylen Brown. A lineup with Lauri, Brown, Key and Ochai would look pretty sweet

I'm not convinced we've found our #1 and #2 guys. I think Keyonte has tremendous upside, but he's only a few games into his career. I'm excited about the potential. Lauri can't create offense so his ceiling is still as the #2 guy, Also, Keyonte and Lauri have different timelines so I'm not sure how that looks when we're ready to compete in a few years.

To the question asked, we need to surround them with high level shot creation and defense. We are still looking for THAT GUY!

Was thinking this same thing. I also was considering adding to the thought… if we are going small ball style what do we put out there with them and Collins?

I think it’s ideally like a super star of course like Tatum, prime Kawhi, Lebron… we need a dynamic two way wing unless Key becomes like a Fox like offensive engine.

More realistically it’s the guys that fit every roster… Bridges, OG, types. But I still don’t know where that would put us.

There are some guys I think could be available that might have a greater impact than expected. Deni Avdija is shooting it well in a small sample and is a good passer and versatile defender. If we are going to play Collins at the 5 having a guy like Deni round out the starting lineup would be good.

A player like Clarkson would be good if a bigger better defender. You need creation from the 2 or 3 spots so while I like what Ochai is doing I think if he’s a starter you need to get some ball handling passing and scoring from the 3 spot.

It’s not going to be easy or cheap. It’s not super urgent but we don’t have infinity time to figure it out.

I think it’s ideally like a super star of course like Tatum, prime Kawhi, Lebron… we need a dynamic two way wing unless Key becomes like a Fox like offensive engine.

More realistically it’s the guys that fit every roster… Bridges, OG, types. But I still don’t know where that would put us.

There are some guys I think could be available that might have a greater impact than expected. Deni Avdija is shooting it well in a small sample and is a good passer and versatile defender. If we are going to play Collins at the 5 having a guy like Deni round out the starting lineup would be good.

A player like Clarkson would be good if a bigger better defender. You need creation from the 2 or 3 spots so while I like what Ochai is doing I think if he’s a starter you need to get some ball handling passing and scoring from the 3 spot.

It’s not going to be easy or cheap. It’s not super urgent but we don’t have infinity time to figure it out.
Great post HH. We have to show strategic patience while continuing to build our current roster and at some point we have to take real swings at bringing in top level talent.

Both Laurie and Keyonte feel like #2 options. Find a legit #1 at either wing spot, any way you can.

I think if Keyonte gets to where I think he is capable, then a Lauri and Keyonte tandem would be fine. I still believe to be a contender you need a top 5 guy, which is mostly luck based to find that guy. I'm ok with just building a really good complementary team that is fun to watch.

Since I'm putting Kessler in my core, then my biggest needs for the other two positions are a secondary ball handler/play maker and a guy to guard the other team's best guards. They also both need to be able to space the floor.

Maybe Agbaji is good enough to be that perimeter defender, but then you are looking for a wing that can handle the ball and play make, and those guys are not easy to find.

Since I'm putting Kessler in my core, then my biggest needs for the other two positions are a secondary ball handler/play maker and a guy to guard the other team's best guards. They also both need to be able to space the floor.

Maybe Agbaji is good enough to be that perimeter defender, but then you are looking for a wing that can handle the ball and play make, and those guys are not easy to find.

Theoretically IQ could be that secondary ball handler, perimeter defender that I'm looking for. I've tried watching him a little more this season and for whatever reason his stats look better than the player I've watched.

If Kessler is the other guy you need 2 more shooters.

If it isnt Kessler and you got someone more dynamic who can kind of shoot it a bit, you have a bit more wiggle room in adding one shooter and one guy who can kind of shoot.

Kind of depends on the night. On a Friday night Elijah Craig or maybe Basil Hayden. On a Tuesday Samuel Adams pairs well with Lauri and Keyonte, or maybe Arthur Guiness.

Jaylen Brown would fit the bill I think (or is he known as a poor ball handler?)