What's new

Who will be the starting point guard on opening night?

Who's going to be the starting point guard this season?

• Sexton

• Clarkson

• George

• Dunn

• THT

• Someone we haven't traded for yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Dunn probably creates the best lineup. Shooting might be a little iffy for that unit, but I’d expect Dunn to dominate the ball a lot and he checks a ton of the other boxes.

Having said that, I still think it’s best if Sexton starts. It’s a great situation for him to shine even if it might not be the best to maximize wins. The way I see it, Sexton probably isn’t here long term so you might as well showcase him. Let him start, he gets an efficient 20 and 5, then his trade value rises.

Starting to feel like @Handlogten’s Heroes crack cocaine theory might be holding some water with those comments.

Last edited:
To be fair, I'm pretty sure named it the crack cocaine theory lol. But IIRC it was that we cannot trade Conley and/or start Sexton because once he becomes a starter he will never go back.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure named it the crack cocaine theory lol. But IIRC it was that we cannot trade Conley and/or start Sexton because once he becomes a starter he will never go back.
The name is way sexier than the theory. It definitely holds water imo... unless its an injury related promotion to the starting lineup it is hard to put a player back on the bench after being a starter. Assuming they don't suck. Ochai is a little different since its early in his career and was a late season thing. If Collin starts 5-10 games to start the season it will be hard to convince him going back to the bench is what is best for him and the team.

I'd probably just bite the bullet though and start him. May pay off in trades later.

The name is way sexier than the theory. It definitely holds water imo... unless its an injury related promotion to the starting lineup it is hard to put a player back on the bench after being a starter. Assuming they don't suck. Ochai is a little different since its early in his career and was a late season thing. If Collin starts 5-10 games to start the season it will be hard to convince him going back to the bench is what is best for him and the team.

I'd probably just bite the bullet though and start him. May pay off in trades later.

It does hold more water now at the beginning of the season than it did at deadline last season when the remaining objective was not to win. I just thought it was silly to use it as an argument to not trade Conley. Where I'd disagree is that being a starter is what is best for him, both from a performance and career perspective. But for the team it's questionable. We'll have to see how real Dunn's tank time performance was.

It does hold more water now at the beginning of the season than it did at deadline last season when the remaining objective was not to win. I just thought it was silly to use it as an argument to not trade Conley. Where I'd disagree is that being a starter is what is best for him, both from a performance and career perspective. But for the team it's questionable. We'll have to see how real Dunn's tank time performance was.
Not sure I did or didn't argue with it being a reason to trade or not trade Conley... I think I was pretty pro-Conley trade for most of the year but can't recall this convo much at all. Being a starter is going to goose his numbers... just by giving him more playing time... higher numbers and a more prestigious role likely boost his value... not sure it will matter all that much.

I think Sexton is the best individual player for the role... so give the most time to the best player... either way I'm fine with whatever they decide. Starting Dunn would mean that the minutes for George or Ochai likely disappear. Its a tough decision.

Another thing:

Should we really start John Collins?

If we dont start Collins and bring him off the bench, then the guard stuff becomes a lot easier. You can play Ochai at the 3 (makes sense, 3&D is needed on this roster) and then you can put in two shot creators at the guard spots.

I think they should start Collins, but if he accepted the role he'd be a killer 6th man. Strong punch off the bench.

Ideally Dunn is the best pg but we will play sexton instead. We increase his value then trade him. Then keyonte takes over. Same with collins, down the road Hendricks takes his spot. Clarkson retires as jazzman then Ochai comes in or sensa. So it’s keyonte, ochai/sensa, Hendricks, Lauri and Kessler.

I think they should start Collins, but if he accepted the role he'd be a killer 6th man. Strong punch off the bench.
With how they want to mix and match front court players bringing Collins off the bench would make a ton of sense but I doubt they even hint at doing that... kind of a shame so much status comes with starting.

With how they want to mix and match front court players bringing Collins off the bench would make a ton of sense but I doubt they even hint at doing that... kind of a shame so much status comes with starting.
I read that and assumed he meant to say Collin.

This will get confusing with Collins and Collin along with two JCs.

I read that and assumed he meant to say Collin.

This will get confusing with Collins and Collin along with two JCs.
This should clear it up for ya
the original post in the discussion (about 7 posts back): Should we really start John Collins?

I think most people call Collin, Sexton and most people call John, Collins so it shouldn't be too hard. I doubt we will ever refer to John Collins as John.

This should clear it up for ya
the original post in the discussion (about 7 posts back): Should we really start John Collins?

I think most people call Collin, Sexton and most people call John, Collins so it shouldn't be too hard. I doubt we will ever refer to John Collins as John.
Thanks I somehow had skipped that post and based on the title assumed Log was talking about Sexton.