What's new

Who Would You Rather Have: Herro or Holiday?

Assuming price is relatively equal, who would you rather have?

• Herro

• Holiday

Results are only viewable after voting.
View attachment 15137

Something like this... maybe cut out the Mavs and just have Buddy in Portland as trade bait at the deadline.

What a brutal trade idea. The last thing you want to do is give up those 2027 picks. I hate the idea of trading for Holiday but if you do it then you send out 2025 picks when you know the wolves and cavs will still be good. A lot can change by 2027.

You are talking about so much what ifs while completely ignoring the fact that Jrue will be in full regression shortly. You are looking at probably 2 years for Key, Taylor and Brice to glow up and odds are at least one of them is a bust. Even Walker is a pretty big unknown at this point in time after only one season and Lauri with only one really good season. At this point we have way too many unknowns for it to be worth making a strong win now move for a 33yr old with 14yrs of mileage. If we have learned anything over the years it is that guys are constantly becoming available during the season so if everything is looking good during the 1st part of the season then you can go into more of a win now mode.
Jrue has shown zero signs of regression. He's a tank and not like Mike or other smallish guards that rely on speed/change of direction.

I only worry about contract. If we have the contract we can trade him later if it looks like things aren't lining up.

What a brutal trade idea. The last thing you want to do is give up those 2027 picks. I hate the idea of trading for Holiday but if you do it then you send out 2025 picks when you know the wolves and cavs will still be good. A lot can change by 2027.
Its an idea of what it would take to get it done. I am not giving out 2025 picks... its the Cooper Flagg draft and even if we only have 1-2% chance cuz Cavs or Minny missed the play in... then you take it... he's the next guy.

Don could be out of Cleveland as soon as next year so all teh unprotected picks have value. 2025 was a draft preference for me.

And look... I know the trades I have proposed are pricey. That is what it will take imo. When you are shopping for a beach house you don't bring an apartment budget.

I'm cool if anyone thinks its too pricey or they wouldn't do it. I do think that is the market and he is worth it... to someone.

And look... I know the trades I have proposed are pricey. That is what it will take imo. When you are shopping for a beach house you don't bring an apartment budget.

I'm cool if anyone thinks its too pricey or they wouldn't do it. I do think that is the market and he is worth it... to someone.

It’s pricey but I would still do it. I’m with you on the 2025 picks. Let’s keep those.

Watching HH lead these trade proposals must be how Gary Payton feels like when he watches his son play in the NBA. Not as good as him, but still damn proud.

Watching HH lead these trade proposals must be how Gary Payton feels like when he watches his son play in the NBA. Not as good as him, but still damn proud.
Uhhhh... its more like Dell and Steph if you want to make the Father Son comp.

It’s pricey but I would still do it. I’m with you on the 2025 picks. Let’s keep those.
I'm still kinda torn. The contract stuff is really problematic. If we made that deal I'd be like 500% more excited for the season. It would also kinda clear a bunch of things up.

There is a huge difference between making a win now move with a 23 year old like Herro and one for a 33yr old. There is also a big difference between going out of your way to be terrible and going out of your way to focus on building our young core. As currently assembled I think we are a better team than last year but the teams around us in the west are better as well and a likely bottom 4 team. Trading for Jrue doesn't make us a legitimate contender and he immediately becomes a depreciating asset because of his age and contract situation. I see all these people posting about how we need to win now with Lauri on his cheap contract and keep him happy. That type of thinking is shortsighted and has failed too many teams to count. They suddenly have a guy that they view as a franchise player and want to bring in vets around him to win now and it usually blows up in their face because they turn into a solid but limited team with older regressing players and the star looks around and doesn't see a good path forward for the future. We just went down that road with a far more proven team. You say it's not about contending this year but progressing as a team which I agree is the goal but the problem is Jrue doesn't fit the timeline of progression. While other guys are progressing he is regressing and that is not what you want from a guy that will cost you a bunch of assets and salary.

As far as our draft pick goes I would much rather have a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft than a pick in the 15-20 range in the 2025 draft. There is a lot of **** talking on this board about the 2024 draft like they are all experts. There are plenty of very talented players in this draft and the top 10 should give you plenty of good choices.
So how do we get "our guy"? 2024 draft? 2025? Trade for him forcing him to come to a bottom feeder team?

Bro, if you have a rim protector then you don’t need point of attack. Filter all your guys into your rim protector or let them get comfortable having open looks. Force them into low percentage shots, like wide open jumpers. This is just basketball 101 and a reason why your expertise is relegated to message boards and not in front offices or on the court.
It’s pretty cool that @Handlogten's Heros gave a like to this personal criticism. The philosopher of science Karl Popper said that knowledge doesn’t grow without criticism, yet for many folks, criticism is hard to take. I gotta tip my hat to HH.

There is a huge difference between making a win now move with a 23 year old like Herro and one for a 33yr old. There is also a big difference between going out of your way to be terrible and going out of your way to focus on building our young core. As currently assembled I think we are a better team than last year but the teams around us in the west are better as well and a likely bottom 4 team. Trading for Jrue doesn't make us a legitimate contender and he immediately becomes a depreciating asset because of his age and contract situation. I see all these people posting about how we need to win now with Lauri on his cheap contract and keep him happy. That type of thinking is shortsighted and has failed too many teams to count. They suddenly have a guy that they view as a franchise player and want to bring in vets around him to win now and it usually blows up in their face because they turn into a solid but limited team with older regressing players and the star looks around and doesn't see a good path forward for the future. We just went down that road with a far more proven team. You say it's not about contending this year but progressing as a team which I agree is the goal but the problem is Jrue doesn't fit the timeline of progression. While other guys are progressing he is regressing and that is not what you want from a guy that will cost you a bunch of assets and salary.

As far as our draft pick goes I would much rather have a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft than a pick in the 15-20 range in the 2025 draft. There is a lot of **** talking on this board about the 2024 draft like they are all experts. There are plenty of very talented players in this draft and the top 10 should give you plenty of good choices.
So adding Jrue Holiday, a 33 year old, will suddenly fill the team with other 30 something year olds?

You're either dumb or ignorant. The Jazz could throw four picks at Jrue (not that Im saying they should) and they would still have enough assets to make multiple massive moves/pivots.

It’s pretty cool that @Handlogten's Heros gave a like to this personal criticism. The philosopher of science Karl Popper said that knowledge doesn’t grow without criticism, yet for many folks, criticism is hard to take. I gotta tip my hat to HH.
Mr. Popper never knew about sarcasm as it was not invented until the great philosopher Rodney Dangerfield popularized it in the 1970s.

So adding Jrue Holiday, a 33 year old, will suddenly fill the team with other 30 something year olds?

You're either dumb or ignorant. The Jazz could throw four picks at Jrue (not that Im saying they should) and they would still have enough assets to make multiple massive moves/pivots.
I ain't with the name calling... but Jrue may actually help all of the young fellas. We'd also get to see what Baby Key looks like next to the ideal archetype backcourt partner.

Jrue the player and the person are such an ideal fit for what we need that we can look past the age a bit... again the contract is the fly in the ointment and if a nice guy like Jrue tells you he won't extend if you trade for him... believe him and only offer what you aren't afraid to light on fire in a year if he walks.

Hollinger thinks the Heat, Clippers, or Celtics make the most sense to get Jrue.
Vecenie mentioned 50% of the league and didn't throw us in there. I think we are an underdog because Jrue has some serious sway with his player option.