What's new

Who Would You Rather Have: Herro or Holiday?

Assuming price is relatively equal, who would you rather have?

• Herro

• Holiday

Results are only viewable after voting.
Whoops. I just looked it up and we picked Trey Lyles and Olivier Hanlan that year. Since we already traded away Lyles, maybe Portland would want the draft rights to Hanlan who is apparently averaging 16ppg in an Italian league. Seems like a good deal for everyone.
We traded his rights to SA for the elderly frenchman.

We basically have a roster of unproven players right now. It is beyond stupid to go win now with a 33 year old at this point. Even Lauri is still somewhat unproven with only one really good season.
What is the plan for next year then? Stink up the joint to hold on to our pick one more year and give OKC a pick in the better draft of 2025?

It's not about contending this year. Its about progressing as a team. You dont just decide to suck this year and then flip the switch next year with the same players. Nor do you just magically reflip the roster into something else. Our only logical plan now is to maximize what we can do with the current roster without making big sacrifices. So push for playoffs giving OKC the worst possible pick and putting us one step closer to contention.

Using 1 or 2 draft picks in a trade does not deplete our war chest... but it could be the difference between 6th seed and 10th in the competitive west.

Not sure about what timeline you guys were talking about but for me the priority is to start winning now because:
1, we don't even own our first round pick next year. OKC does. I know it's top 10 protected but that only means we either have to tank our heart out or watch our 12th pick going to OKC as the conclusion of a wasted season because we suck at tanking and talent wise I simply don't see us as a bottom 10 team in the league.
2, Lauri's current bargain deal ends in 2025 then he will have to get paid. Meaning the next two seasons present a huge opportunity/window to collect winning pieces around him for title contention. After he sign that huge extension(assuming it will be worth 40mil per year at the very minimum), it will be more difficult to get him the help he needs and we will also be under heavy pressure to deliver results. Why wait?
3, we do have many young players on the roster but outside of Kessler we don't have any other young players with a guaranteed future on this team. Its very risky and simply naive to set your timeline around rookies who may not be on your team or even in this league in three years.

Of course the goal is not to win a title right away but we need to at least be talking about playoffs by now if the goal is to build around Lauri.

Not sure about what timeline you guys were talking about but for me the priority is to start winning now because:
1, we don't even own our first round pick next year. OKC does. I know it's top 10 protected but that only means we either have to tank our heart out or watch our 12th pick going to OKC as the conclusion of a wasted season because we suck at tanking and talent wise I simply don't see us as a bottom 10 team in the league.
2, Lauri's current bargain deal ends in 2025 then he will have to get paid. Meaning the next two seasons present a huge opportunity/window to collect winning pieces around him for title contention. After he sign that huge extension(assuming it will be worth 40mil per year at the very minimum), it will be more difficult to get him the help he needs and we will also be under heavy pressure to deliver results. Why wait?
3, we do have many young players on the roster but outside of Kessler we don't have any other young players with a guaranteed future on this team. Its very risky and simply naive to set your timeline around rookies who may not be on your team or even in this league in three years.

Of course the goal is not to win a title right away but we need to at least be talking about playoffs by now if the goal is to build around Lauri.
Brother Lauri's deal going to be 60 million

Good post

I think Herro deal is dead. Based on the amount of **** talking between Heat and Blazers I don't think there is anyway those sides come together. With Jrue we could get him or get in on a side deal (Quickley, Mann, etc.). I'm also cool just rolling with what we have. I think Sexton can raise his value even if he isn't the long term answer. Sounds like Key might be Him so we might want to do some consolidation to clear some playing time. We can wait until JC is trade eligible.

I'm basically perfectly content and I think we have a strong bargaining position... as I think DA is too. So if something good is available we will move... if not... fine.

I'm very much a believer in parts of "The Process" but at this point we are already in the middle and moving enough pieces to be bad to get high picks doesn't seem super profitable. Like OKC has done awesome with their rebuild but at times they could have made some moves to help the team win that they should have. They have overlooked some opportunities and I just don't think you benefit from all of a sudden flipping a switch. We should be patient but opportunistic.

I would like to see some roster consolidation and if we don't see some of that in the next 12 months I think we have some issues... but I'm okay with a medium win-now move.

If we land Jrue I think its Sexton, THT, Ochai and 2 firsts. Sexton routed to a third team like Indiana for an expiring contract and some seconds maybe.