What's new

Why is Gobert useless now?

I think Gobert was like +23 tonight. The kings played their best with him on the bench. Those two outlet passes by Gobert to Hayward were beautiful. He gave the kings all kinds of trouble tonight. He actually made some pretty nice moves offensively tonight but the shots just barely missed. He has been rebounding really well during the last handful of games (He was a beast against memphis).

But I agree that he isn't as phenomenal as last year and has taken a step back from last year.

Is it due to the injury? Teams being ready for him/scouting him? Is he just not quite as good as we thought? Idk.
All I know is he still has a big time positive impact on games for the jazz imo.

My two thoughts:

#1 Mack- Rudy and Neto are bff's and they had chemistry. Mack never passes to Rudy or looks for the easy oops.

#2 Tired- That time of the season. He isn't flying all over the court like he usually does. For the most part he is getting rebounds but isn't putting the ball back in the hoop on the offensive glass. We haven't seen any "salute" worthy dunks in awhile.

I think Gobert was like +23 tonight. The kings played their best with him on the bench. Those two outlet passes by Gobert to Hayward were beautiful. He gave the kings all kinds of trouble tonight. He actually made some pretty nice moves offensively tonight but the shots just barely missed. He has been rebounding really well during the last handful of games (He was a beast against memphis).

But I agree that he isn't as phenomenal as last year and has taken a step back from last year.

Is it due to the injury? Teams being ready for him/scouting him? Is he just not quite as good as we thought? Idk.
All I know is he still has a big time positive impact on games for the jazz imo.

I think other teams becoming familiar with him is part of it. I also think we don't throw enough lobs to him. I'd like to see us do more even if they miss... You have to feed the defensive players like him a bit... Keeps them engaged.

I disagree that he is useless. He impacts the game whether he scores or blocks shots. Guys know he's there and either don't come in or adjust accordingly. I'm glad he's not a stat chaser like whiteside.

This is Rudys first full year starting. I think he hit a wall and the injury didnt help.

I don't know man. I think Rudy has been pretty stellar. I never thought he would be a double double guy, but he has proved me wrong this season by consistently scoring 10 points a game. He is averaging 10 10 and 2.5 blocks. If he is able to figure out anything offensively I think he will be awesome. We knew he was never going to be even Dwight howard offensively, but he has been pretty steady. He does need to add a shot that isn't a dunk. And he probably needs to dunk more too. Mack is horrible at finding Rudys good passing spots though.

My two thoughts:

#1 Mack- Rudy and Neto are bff's and they had chemistry. Mack never passes to Rudy or looks for the easy oops.

#2 Tired- That time of the season. He isn't flying all over the court like he usually does. For the most part he is getting rebounds but isn't putting the ball back in the hoop on the offensive glass. We haven't seen any "salute" worthy dunks in awhile.

I think it's also all the International Ball he played during the offseason, I don't think he has had a decent break yet since last year.

I think DL needs to come up with a proper 'rules' around how much International Ball our guys can play (especially the key guys). Remember Exum was just recovering from an injury he got in the Summer League when he had that knee injury during International Ball last offseason.

Don't get me wrong, International Ball is good for experience, but we need to manage it so guys don't get tired late in the season and/or incur unnecessary injuries.

He's been scouted a lot better.

He has awful hands.

He is stellar defensively.

He kills our spacing.

Agreed, particularly on the first point. Teams now plan for him and have developed some ways to reduce his impact. Still a great center but not a max player unless he figures out how to adjust, particularly on offense.

I disagree that he is useless. He impacts the game whether he scores or blocks shots. Guys know he's there and either don't come in or adjust accordingly. I'm glad he's not a stat chaser like whiteside.

Well said, a lot of his impact on the game can't be measured with stats.

Jody Genessy right on cue. Rudy's points and rebounds are up and blocks are the same vs. last year. I agree with everyone that teams are much more aware of him. Free throws are a concern, but it's ridiculous to say he's useless.

By Jody Genessy, Deseret News

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Sometimes, statistics don’t tell the whole story.

Take Rudy Gobert’s game in Sacramento on Sunday, for instance.

Gobert went scoreless in 22 minutes. He took only three shots, grabbed just eight rebounds, didn’t get a blocked shot and made two turnovers.

Bad night, right?

The way the Utah Jazz played while he was on the court belies his unimpressive stat line.

With Gobert on the court, the Jazz outscored the Kings by 23 points in a game Utah won 108-99.

“He’s impactful,” Jazz coach Quin Snyder said. “Just his presence in the paint and his defensive rebounding. … He doesn’t need to be spectacular (on offense) in any way just to be efficient. That’s what he does on the defensive end. He allows his weight and size to really be impactful. Its’ a huge part of who we are. We need him in the game.”

No doubt, Gobert would like bigger stats than he had Sunday, but he was matched against DeMarcus Cousins for part of the night and he positively affected his team.

“Of course, that’s what I try to do every game, help my team win,” Gobert said. “Sometimes you’re not going to score or it’s going to be different things that are going to happen, just try to help the team win. Tonight I didn't do a lot of things offensively, but I’m glad that we won. That’s a big-time for us.”

The Jazz were forced to play without the Stifle Tower the final 3:17 after he fouled out.

“I’m not going to say I’m happy about it. It is what it is,” Gobert said. “I hope they (referees) do like we do — they watch film and study their mistakes.”

Snyder said Gobert needs to react better when he gets incidental contact.

“He’s got to be smarter,” Snyder said. “There’s some situations where he can stay out of foul trouble.”

Last edited:
Jody Genessy right on cue. Rudy's points and rebounds are up and blocks are the same vs. last year. I agree with everyone that teams are much more aware of him. Free throws are a concern tho.

Gennessy's a moron. His numbers are up due to more time. His per 36 stats are down across the board. Every single one.

11.4 points to 10.7.
12.9 rebounds to 12.0.
4.4 offensive rebounds to 3.7.
8.5 defensive rebounds to 8.3.
3.2 blocks to 2.5.
1.8 assists to 1.7.
1.1 steals to 0.9.
1.9 turnovers to 2.1.
1.9 personal fouls to 2.1
62.3 free throw% to 57.6%.
60.4 field goal% to 56.8%.

I love the kid. He's obviously being scouted better and we had to expect that. But I dont see the same intensity or bounce in his step as last year. I've said it many times before but I believe he's been playing banged up.

If nothing else, maybe this will help us extend him at less than we previously expected and will piss him off this off-season so that he works hard on his game.

Last edited:
Also, to the morons saying his free throw shooting has been stronger of late, he's 19 of 40 this month from the line. That's below 50%. Seriously, I love Gobert but the blind love and irrational analysis of his game is too often ridiculous here.

Advanced stats show Gobert's real impact. He's #1 in the NBA in Defensive Box Plus Minus :

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_leaders.html?lid=header_leaders

Defensive Box Plus/Minus

1. Rudy Gobert ▪ UTA 4.6
2. Hassan Whiteside ▪ MIA 4.0
3. Draymond Green ▪ GSW 3.8
4. DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC 3.7
5. Paul Millsap ▪ ATL 3.7
6. Pau Gasol ▪ CHI 3.6
7. Ian Mahinmi ▪ IND 3.6
8. Nerlens Noel ▪ PHI 3.2
9. Amir Johnson ▪ BOS 3.1
10. Mason Plumlee ▪ POR 3.0
11. Danny Green ▪ SAS 2.8
12. Jared Sullinger ▪ BOS 2.8
13. Kawhi Leonard ▪ SAS 2.7
14. Thabo Sefolosha ▪ ATL 2.7
15. Zaza Pachulia ▪ DAL 2.4
16. Al Horford ▪ ATL 2.4
17. Gorgui Dieng ▪ MIN 2.4
18. Nikola Jokic ▪ DEN 2.3
19. Ed Davis ▪ POR 2.3
20. LeBron James ▪ CLE 2.3

If he was great offensively too he would basically be the best center in the NBA...

Still, I'm a bit disappointed in his stats this year, I expected more progress offensively.

Last edited:
I would blame the league being aware of his talents compared to last season - for starters. Then I think we should blame the NT participation in the offseason because he started a long season really tired. Third, I would blame the motivation to prove something. I considered him as a contender, a warrior if you will; but he does not look as motivated as the last season. Lastly, he got injured. SO...

Advanced stats show Gobert's real impact. He's #1 in the NBA in Defensive Box Plus Minus :

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2016_leaders.html?lid=header_leaders

Defensive Box Plus/Minus

1. Rudy Gobert ▪ UTA 4.6
2. Hassan Whiteside ▪ MIA 4.0
3. Draymond Green ▪ GSW 3.8
4. DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC 3.7
5. Paul Millsap ▪ ATL 3.7
6. Pau Gasol ▪ CHI 3.6
7. Ian Mahinmi ▪ IND 3.6
8. Nerlens Noel ▪ PHI 3.2
9. Amir Johnson ▪ BOS 3.1
10. Mason Plumlee ▪ POR 3.0
11. Danny Green ▪ SAS 2.8
12. Jared Sullinger ▪ BOS 2.8
13. Kawhi Leonard ▪ SAS 2.7
14. Thabo Sefolosha ▪ ATL 2.7
15. Zaza Pachulia ▪ DAL 2.4
16. Al Horford ▪ ATL 2.4
17. Gorgui Dieng ▪ MIN 2.4
18. Nikola Jokic ▪ DEN 2.3
19. Ed Davis ▪ POR 2.3
20. LeBron James ▪ CLE 2.3

If he was great offensively too he would basically be the best center in the NBA...

Still, I'm a bit disappointed in his stats this year, I expected more progress offensively.

In RPM he is statistically flat year over year: Last year 3.63 (ranked 13th), this year 3.35 (ranked 12th)