What's new

Why Jazz should (& shouldn't) claim Williams or Bogut on waivers

Withey

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

See my post from the other thread:

Bottom line on Withey: Snyder doesn't feel he's good enough to take Diaw's minutes as a center. Whether Withey is better or not, it's irrelevant because Withey isn't playing, so using him as an argument to not have Bogut is a moot point -- Bogut would play and Bogut > Diaw (and they wouldn't have to be mutually exclusive).

Casspi is good... big wing combo forward type. Not much time to integrate him this year but worth bringing him in now to see how well he fits. Waive Withey or Mack. If we are relying on them at any point now or in the playoffs we are probably not going to win anything anyway... so pocket some cash and get a guy who might fit well next year. Anything he gives us this year is gravy.

Casspi is good... big wing combo forward type. Not much time to integrate him this year but worth bringing him in now to see how well he fits. Waive Withey or Mack. If we are relying on them at any point now or in the playoffs we are probably not going to win anything anyway... so pocket some cash and get a guy who might fit well next year. Anything he gives us this year is gravy.
He sucks

Yo guys this dude who couldn't play for the kings but we should sign him because he shoots 3s well. Who cares if he is injured. On court chemistry takes no time to develop and is hardly important.

Swear y'all just want to see a move for the sake if a move.

I'm pretty sure boards like this exist to talk about potential moves and ideas...

Someone start a thread that is just a big circle jerk and we talk about how good we are and how we should never change.

Had Casspi been on our roster this year I promise he'd have been more effective than Lyles and Diaw... combo forwards shooting 39% from three don't grow on trees.

Its easy to dismiss a player when you look past their big benefit (shooting), but shooting is an exponential force on the offensive end and makes everyone better.

Casspi would be a good addition. Mack and Withey are both out of the rotation. More DNP-CD than games played. There's no downside to cutting them in order to shore up weak areas (1 & 4) with players who have been cut. I'd prefer Bogut, but I think adding another guy here for the stretch run is a good idea.

What would it cost to claim him? Maybe wait until he clears waivers and then outbid everyone else.

My priority as a pretend GM would be to renegotiate and extend Favors, then Hill, then if both of those doors were shut, I'd go ahead and make a waiver claim. Either of the 3 guys mentioned would be welcome additions for everyone but Bolomboy who would then be waived.

Casspi had a offensive box plus/minus of -2.3 this season. He has had a negative one every season besides last year where he posted a .3 OBPM.

And to no surprise his DBPM is always negative by a good amount too, -1.3 this year.

Did I mention he is injured?

Straight box plus minus is kind of a limited stat to pick why not measure his real plus minus against diaw and Lyles is a much better stat.

I think we make a waiver claim on someone... he's as good of an option as any out there now.

Would save us 2M and give us a look at him in our environment. Would you trade Withey or Mack for a second round pick? 2M or close to it buys us a second rounder.

Straight box plus minus is kind of a limited stat to pick why not measure his real plus minus against diaw and Lyles is a much better stat.

Would save us 2M and give us a look at him in our environment.

I’d look at Casspi as well. He looks much closer, according the stats I put the most stock in, to an average player than a scrub. If he’s back close to playoffs, he’d at least bring one more option/element of depth for the wings/going small at PF. Terrence Jones requested his release in order to get playing time. But I don’t think he’d find much or be very happy with the Jazz because of it. Casspi on the other hand, would probably welcome a chance to get picked up by a team with playoff prospects to at least give him a chance to get a little run in before the season ends.

If Jazz are sure that they’re moving on from Mack, they could release him and give him a chance to get picked up by someone (Wizards?) before the March 1 deadline and open a space for Casspi.

I’d look at Casspi as well. He looks much closer, according the stats I put the most stock in, to an average player than a scrub. If he’s back close to playoffs, he’d at least bring one more option/element of depth for the wings/going small at PF. Terrence Jones requested his release in order to get playing time. But I don’t think he’d find much or be very happy with the Jazz because of it. Casspi on the other hand, would probably welcome a chance to get picked up by a team with playoff prospects to at least give him a chance to get a little run in before the season ends.

If Jazz are sure that they’re moving on from Mack, they could release him and give him a chance to get picked up by someone (Wizards?) before the March 1 deadline and open a space for Casspi.

And if Hill gets hurt we are screwed either way. So it isn't like Mack makes a huge difference. I would understand keeping Withey.

I think we make a waiver claim on someone... he's as good of an option as any out there now.

Would save us 2M and give us a look at him in our environment. Would you trade Withey or Mack for a second round pick? 2M or close to it buys us a second rounder.

Maybe the jazz love their players so much they want to give them the salary floor bonus.

It's the 12th and 13th spots on the roster for a 24 game + playoffs rental. I like Bogut over Withey to help keep Gobert and Favors healthy and rested heading into the playoffs. If they pick up Casspi, it means they like his ability to stretch the floor at the 4 with Gobert. He struggled this year, but shot the ball well from 3 the two years preceding. At the 12th and 13th spots on the roster, it can't hurt to try to upgrade.

Casspi is out for the rest of the regular season. It might be worth the risk to claim him and hope he can be a help in the playoffs, but that's all he will be useful for this season.