What's new

Why Jazz should (& shouldn't) claim Williams or Bogut on waivers

Maybe the jazz love their players so much they want to give them the salary floor bonus.

Would still be 1.3 M for that... which is fine by me... I'd rather them save 2M and give it to arena and management employees if they want to just show people love. Or invest in improvements to facilities.

It's the 12th and 13th spots on the roster for a 24 game + playoffs rental. I like Bogut over Withey to help keep Gobert and Favors healthy and rested heading into the playoffs. If they pick up Casspi, it means they like his ability to stretch the floor at the 4 with Gobert. He struggled this year, but shot the ball well from 3 the two years preceding. At the 12th and 13th spots on the roster, it can't hurt to try to upgrade.

He's shot well was just out of the rotation because they had Rudy Gay and played Matt Barnes ahead of him...joerger had Barnes before and I'm guessing he just preferred him.

Casspi is out for the rest of the regular season. It might be worth the risk to claim him and hope he can be a help in the playoffs, but that's all he will be useful for this season.

With how bad Diaw and Lyles have been, that might be what they need in the playoffs. If he's playing better than those two, I wouldn't mind seeing JJ and Casspi man a lot of the 4 minutes when teams go small. Not sure what kind of defender he is (but it's hard to imagine he'd be worse than Lyles has been this year.)

Would still be 1.3 M for that... which is fine by me... I'd rather them save 2M and give it to arena and management employees if they want to just show people love. Or invest in improvements to facilities.

if they don't meet the salary floor they have to get it to the players on the roster

if they don't meet the salary floor they have to get it to the players on the roster

Yes all 4.2 M... if they claim a waived player they put his whole cap number on the books... 2.9 in this case and only pay the prorated portion of .9 M... saves the Jazz 2M in actual dollars.

Yes all 4.2 M... if they claim a waived player they put his whole cap number on the books... 2.9 in this case and only pay the prorated portion of .9 M... saves the Jazz 2M in actual dollars.

I swear I read somewhere that if a team fails to make it to the salary floor, they also forfeit their claim to the extra revenue sharing from tax paying teams.

So it not only would save the team money to claim a player, but it would not cost them that revenue sharing income as well. That's money that would go into all other aspects of the team besides player salaries. If you're not paying the luxury tax, then I really can't see how a small market franchise can just afford to throw that cash away.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear when I was researching the CBA that I came across that.

I swear I read somewhere that if a team fails to make it to the salary floor, they also forfeit their claim to the extra revenue sharing from tax paying teams.

So it not only would save the team money to claim a player, but it would not cost them that revenue sharing income as well. That's money that would go into all other aspects of the team besides player salaries. If you're not paying the luxury tax, then I really can't see how a small market franchise can just afford to throw that cash away.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear when I was researching the CBA that I came across that.

maybe in the new CBA, but not in this one... otherwise no team would stay below the floor and it has happened.

The new CBA also patches up this loophole... You need to hit the floor with actual dollars... Denver and Philly can no longer circumvent the rules to save money.

I do wish we could have gotten Anthony Tolliver tho. I dont think the Kings really made him available, but damn, he would have been a good fit.

This is interesting...

Andy LarsenVerified account‏@andyblarsen 34s34 seconds ago
Jazz just cost themselves $1.8M in real money to not claim Deron Williams on waivers. That says a whole lot.

It must be pretty nice to be able to toss 1.8 million down the ol' toilet bowl.. not that I was all for bringing Dwill back (wouldn't have complained if they had), but that's a lot of money to just waste away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IIRC, the salary floor is based on actual salaries paid, not on cap hit.

Any rumors about where Bogut is going?

Looks like he was bought out and not waived. RealGM says Cleveland, Boston, Rockets, Spurs and us are interested but that he wants to play a role for a contender. So probably Cleveland > San Antonio > Boston = Houston >>>> us.