What's new

Why the Hell Isn't Rudy in the Starting Lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another variable is the play of Trey Burke. When Kanter was injured, Trey got uncharacteristically hot, and was making plays he hadn't made all year. How would our performance had been if that stretch had the normal Trey playing?

kind of think kanter is a boozer.
Boozer was the 2nd best player on a team that played in the western conference finals iirc

Another variable is the play of Trey Burke. When Kanter was injured, Trey got uncharacteristically hot, and was making plays he hadn't made all year. How would our performance had been if that stretch had the normal Trey playing?

If your life depended on the Jazz winning one game and you had to choose the line up are going with Kanter as your starter? Just for funzies.

The tank makes as sense as anything else....but damnit, I don't want another tank. There's no LeBron/Duncan level talent in the draft this year.

More accurately, I'd say asset management. Utah has two assets that will be affected by how they handle Kanter this year. Moving Kanter to the bench now could be enough for him to consider taking the QO in the offseason, which would diminish his value as a trade chip. Starting Rudy would also win us more games and diminish our pick when we still have some big holes to fill. I think Utah's current strategy puts the maximizing of these two assets as our fist priority over winning, and if we're being completely honest, I think Utah is trying to develop their players right now while winning as little as possible. So far, I think they've found a good balance.

Trey plays better with Gobert to cover for him defensively and doesn't have to work as hard and he doesn't leave his shots short. . .

I think Hayward-Favors-Gobert are the future front court, so why not play them now. The whole league is seeing how crazy good Gobert is too. I think Kanter's scoring would be much needed off the bench and he probably wouldn't be so overwhelmed too.

If your life depended on the Jazz winning one game and you had to choose the line up are going with Kanter as your starter? Just for funzies.

If my life depended on it, I'd probably pair Kanter and Gobert for defense and offensive spacing. Gobert is a better rim protector, rebounder, and passer thab Favors, and Enes has a 3pt shot and gets more 2nd chance buckets on offensive putbacks than Favors. Kanter can also hit his free throws. Enes and Rudy also have records of continuing the fight when being blown out.

Back in the day I thought it was Jerry Sloan that was making bad decisions with his rotations, like playing Boozer over Millsap, and other weird decisions. Then Corbin would do the same, and I thought maybe it was because he emulated Sloan. Now Quin does it.

I don't get it. I don't see the benefit from insisting on playing inferior lazy players over players who compete. At the presses they all say the things you would expect to hear, like nothing is given, and if you don't play defense then you won't play, etc.. But it doesn't appear that it's ever going to change. There is some clearly wrong with upper management. Regardless of who is in charge. Larry, Jerry, and KOC all gone, but still the same results.

How many seasons will be wasted with this approach?

This is precisely why Kanter HAS to be traded. I don't give a **** what anyone has to say. It isn't going to work with him. I've seen this story wayyyyy too many times. It's gonna be Kanter over Gobert all day until he's gone. Otherwise, the Jazz will do what they always do, play lip service to defensive needs, but never act on it.

Basically, if you play for the Jazz, you will never be held accountable for your defensive efforts as long as you can put the ball in the hoop every once in a while.

Yay! For never learning from our mistakes. So much fun repeating this stupid *** history over and over and over......

Am I the only one who trusts Favors' jumper more than Kanter's right now?

Just want to say that when rudy was starting and kanter was injured and we were playing .500 ball I think we were playing a somewhat softer schedule for the most part. I might be wrong and don't want to take the time to check though.

I'm curious to know what teams we beat. I remember beating Chicago which was a quality win. What were the others though? Lakers? Sixers? Pacers? T-wolves? (Might have played them twice) orlando maybe.

Good point. Beating up on bad teams is still tankish. But Rudy is legit - and he will need to start sooner or later. If Kanter weren't so flaky, I'd say that the team would function better with him coming off the bench. But I don't want him to go into a shell. Try to raise his trade value, then if nothing materializes, you can make the move and see how the three man rotation looks with Gobert/Favors starting and Enes coming in off the bench.

Hack, do you really believe our defensive issues lie with Kanter?

If you did the research, you would see unequivocally that it is with our perimeter players. It is crazy to me that your eyes don't show you this.

You should do a search for the thread "Jazz Defense Uncoded"

Oh, and Kanter has been sat many-a-times for missing his defensive assignment, what Jazz team have you been watching? Did you not see a single game last year? What about the start of this season?

Sloan would let them keep the starting job for s little while after injury, but if the bench guy clearly earned it, he would get it. I think that is quins philosophy as well. Gobert will start sooner or later.

If you did the research, you would see unequivocally that it is with our perimeter players. It is crazy to me that your eyes don't show you this.

Oh, and Kanter has been sat many-a-times for missing his defensive assignment, what Jazz team have you been watching? Did you not see a single game last year? What about the start of this season?

When you have one weak link it makes everyone look bad. The defensive system collapses.

When you have a great interior defender it can make a world of difference. It helps the wing defenders out. In the modern NBA it's too hard to stay in front of your man. You need help behind you. Kanter isn't that. He's a 6"10 slug who puts the fear into nobody. It changes the dynamic of everything.

I have never understood the hype about kanters poor jumper. Favors is a better player.

Yes, our perimeter defense is horrible, but kanter does not help cover that up. Rudy does. Kanter sucks on defense. We need better defensive players starting, not worse ones. Kanter might be a starter, but on the current jazz team, he appears to be the odd man out of the starting lineup.

When you have one weak link it makes everyone look bad. The defensive system collapses.

When you have a great interior defender it can make a world of difference. It helps the wing defenders out. In the modern NBA it's too hard to stay in front of your man. You need help behind you. Kanter isn't that. He's a 6"10 slug who puts the fear into nobody. It changes the dynamic of everything.

This

ScreenShot2015-01-21at103557PM.png

ScreenShot2015-01-21at103703PM.png

Sloan would let them keep the starting job for s little while after injury, but if the bench guy clearly earned it, he would get it. I think that is quins philosophy as well. Gobert will start sooner or later.

That's just incorrect.

Millsap was a far better defender than Boozer, along with being a better overall player, but he never got to start over Boozer. I shouldn't have to rehash this argument. It's been proven over time that Millsap has always been the better player. Boozer on other teams can't even get into the starting line up. Sloan refused to see this. Maybe it wasn't Sloan though. I have no idea at this point. It's still going on after the Sloan era.

I was saying all of this back then and I knew I was right. I know I'm right with Kanter and Gobert too. The Jazz are making a mistake with this situation. Time will prove it. It's really dumb that we even have to argue about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.