What's new

Will Donovan Mitchell surpass Stockton/Malone careers with the Jazz?

Will Donovan Mitchell surpass Stockton/Malone's career with the Jazz?

• Yes

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
Winning a ring will get him 99% of the way. Longevity will be the missing piece.

That’s only half of it. They were great well into their late 30’s. It wasn’t that they had longevity but great while doing it. How many players had their longevity and did it well as old as they were?

I can’t really think of any to be honest. They were every bit as good as anyone to ever play and better then most.

Mitchell can’t just have longevity, that makes him Vince or JJ.

WILL HE STILL BE THE MAN AT AGE 38?

What John and Karl did is harder then winning a title. You can probably count on one hand how many players did it as well as they did for as long as they did it in the history of the game

LMAO at a title getting him 99% of the way there! They were the two best kept secrets in the nba, still are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think a players legacy is entirely based of championships. Stockton and Malone are 2 guys that we never see a comparison to in the history of basketball. Donovan Mitchell, will hopefully be one of those guys with or without championships. (Hopefully with) A legacy is something you create and hopefully make it special enough that the is never anyone in the same conversation as your legacy. Jordan and Lebron debate is ridiculous to me because not only are they 2 great players in their own rights, but anyone that actually watched Jordan play would never make that argument. I personally have 4 guys before Lebron with Michael as the best. Just my opinion of course.

I just love that we are having this conversation! The thought that DM could one day rival two of the all time greats in the hearts of Jazz fans, is just crazy. And yet it is a real possibility. Not just because of the way he plays, but his character and leadership are already apparent. He could one day be the best thing that ever happened to the organization. I just pray that we let him develop and not pressure him to try to be more than he is capable of being in the moment. Let's let him come along naturally and just enjoy what he brings to the team.

I just love that we are having this conversation! The thought that DM could one day rival two of the all time greats in the hearts of Jazz fans, is just crazy. And yet it is a real possibility. Not just because of the way he plays, but his character and leadership are already apparent. He could one day be the best thing that ever happened to the organization. I just pray that we let him develop and not pressure him to try to be more than he is capable of being in the moment. Let's let him come along naturally and just enjoy what he brings to the team.
Agreed. The kid wants and can handle pressure, I think some of the expectations/hopes people have on twitter are a little extreme for year 2 sometimes. He’s going to be a superstar and one of the best players in the league. Next year he will have a bit of a more expected and pronounced roll the entire season. Can’t wait to get it going, and hope t goes perfectly for him.

Dumb AF

That’s only half of it. They were great well into their late 30’s. It wasn’t that they had longevity but great while doing it. How many players had their longevity and did it well as old as they were?

LeBron
Barkley
The dreAm

Some examples. Your post is dumb af

I can’t really think of any to be honest. They were every bit as good as anyone to ever play and better then most.

Mitchell can’t just have longevity, that makes him Vince or JJ.

WILL HE STILL BE THE MAN AT AGE 38?

What John and Karl did is harder then winning a title. You can probably count on one hand how many players did it as well as they did for as long as they did it in the history of the game

LMAO at a title getting him 99% of the way there! They were the two best kept secrets in the nba, still are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The kid wants and can handle pressure, I think some of the expectations/hopes people have on twitter are a little extreme for year 2 sometimes. He’s going to be a superstar and one of the best players in the league. Next year he will have a bit of a more expected and pronounced roll the entire season. Can’t wait to get it going, and hope t goes perfectly for him.

they also have a year worth of film on him now. He will be scouted for a lot more heavily

they also have a year worth of film on him now. He will be scouted for a lot more heavily
He did fine in the playoffs, I really don’t see that being a problem. He was the #1 target for defenses for half the season and playoffs. There is some far out there enthusiasm on him, some of which even I think is unrealistic to expect in year 2. Donovan’s very special, but there’s a few differences between this season and last.

One of which is the rookie tag is gone. I know he liked to hold himself to a higher standard and whatnot, but he was still a rookie last season and it was an easy fallback for fans and him to come back to when he failed or had a tough game. As a fan I expect some tough times this season where he fails or struggles, I’m interested to see how he takes it when he fails or struggles for a game or a week or something. Donovan deals with pressure well and seems to embrace it with open arms. There will be a difference in the feeling of a season from rookie who exploded no one expected, to a up and coming star that now is the face of the franchise and has all sorts of hype surrounding his name. I think he’ll handle it all well and have an amazing season, but there’s always that chance it doesn’t go so great too.

Last edited:
He did fine in the playoffs, I really don’t see that being a problem. He was the #1 target for defenses for half the season and playoffs. There is some far out there enthusiasm on him, some of which even I think is unrealistic to expect in year 2. Donovan’s very special, but there’s a few differences between this season and last.

One of which is the rookie tag is gone. I know he liked to hold himself to a higher standard and whatnot, but he was still a rookie last season and it was an easy fallback for fans and him to come back to when he failed or had a tough game. As a fan I expect some tough times this season where he fails or struggles, I’m interested to see how he takes it when he fails or struggles for a game or a week or something. Donovan deals with pressure well and seems to embrace it with open arms. There will be a difference in the feeling of a season from rookie who exploded no one expected, to a up and coming star that now is the face of the franchise and has all sorts of hype surrounding his name. I think he’ll handle it all well and have an amazing season, but there’s always that chance it doesn’t go so great too.

If we take DM at his word, he is studying every game played last year and working on counters to the defenses he faced. Outside of Trevor Ariza, I don't think anyone really shut him down. He is bound to have some tough stretches, but overall the work ethic and drive should help him "rise above." My concern with the pressure is not how he reacts to it, but how we as Jazz Nation react. We could have such unrealistic expectations that he sours on us as a fan base. Right now we are in the honeymoon phase of our relationship. Once we have weathered some adversity and some downs to go with all the ups, we will be able to see if we'll make it long term. I don't think he has to match Stock of Malone for longevity to have the same impact. If he has a ten year run where he leads us to domination (along with Rudy), who would say he doesn't deserve a statue?

Last edited:
If we take DM at his word, he is studying every game played last year and working on counters to the defenses he faced. Outside of Trevor Ariza, I don't think anyone really shut him down. He is bound to have some tough stretches, but overall the work ethic and drive should help him "rise above." My concern with the pressure is not how he reacts to it, but how we as Jazz Nation react. We could have such unrealistic expectations that he sours on us as a fan base. Right now we are in the honeymoon phase of our relationship. Once we have weathered some adversity and some downs to go with all the ups, we will be able to see if we'll make it long term. I don't think he has to match Stock of Malone for longevity to have the same impact. If he has a ten year run where he leads us to domination (along with Rudy), who would say he doesn't deserve a statue?

Stockton and Malone had incredible work ethic, and loyalty. Nobody ever got past the door with any better offer. And they had Utah "Spirit". It will take more than talent and current bias to really get there, imo. But it won't take ten years if it happens. Two maybe. We're too hungry to wait.....for fortune or glory.

But I wake up, really, when I see anyone who cares.... and we have a team that cares now.

Mitchell frequently posts updates of him in the gym. Often with other players. Like right now at the time of this post he is in a gym training with Chris Brickley and Mike Atkinson.

Also saw a tweet a few weeks back by one of the Jazz beat writers that basically said Mitchell’s time in and around the ZBCC has been borderline obsessive.

So all signs point to him putting in the work.

Last edited:
I kind of doubt anyone is gonna sour on Donovan, unless his attitude and personality change. I think he has a lot of insurance with fans because of who he is beyond the court. It is a honey moon phase, but it’s a little more too. He’s pulled people in more than any other player I’ve ever seen this fast. I think it would take a lot to spur anyone on him in the immediate fan base. Now the national media will likely take a turn at some point.

Stockton and Malone had incredible work ethic, and loyalty. Nobody ever got past the door with any better offer. And they had Utah "Spirit". It will take more than talent and current bias to really get there, imo. But it won't take ten years if it happens. Two maybe. We're too hungry to wait.....for fortune or glory.

But I wake up, really, when I see anyone who cares.... and we have a team that cares now.
It’s true, idk if any players in the league have the same loyalty Stockton and Malone did. We’ll see. 2 years certainly doesn’t do it. 10 years doesn’t do it if you don’t find a championship or some finals at the end of one of those years.

Mitchell frequently posts updates of him in the gym. Often with other players. Like right now at the time of this post he is in a gym training with Chris Brickley and Mike Atkinson.

Also saw a tweet a few weeks back by one of the Kazz best writers that basically said Mitchell’s time in and around the ZBCC has been borderline obsessive.

So all signs point to him putting in the work.
Yeah. Saw that he was in the gym at 530am! Working with his trainer and agent. I have no doubt he is putting in the work. I think he wants to keep the momentum going! Which is great for the Jazz!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using JazzFanz mobile app

I kind of doubt anyone is gonna sour on Donovan, unless his attitude and personality change. I think he has a lot of insurance with fans because of who he is beyond the court. It is a honey moon phase, but it’s a little more too. He’s pulled people in more than any other player I’ve ever seen this fast. I think it would take a lot to spur anyone on him in the immediate fan base. Now the national media will likely take a turn at some point.
I hear you and hope you are right. I am solidly in the DM for GOAT camp. I would hate to see fans turn on him like they did to Hood before he left. I know, I know, totally different players. But Jazz nation can get ugly at times. I just want the ride to continue, it's been a blast so far.

I hear you and hope you are right. I am solidly in the DM for GOAT camp. I would hate to see fans turn on him like they did to Hood before he left. I know, I know, totally different players. But Jazz nation can get ugly at times. I just want the ride to continue, it's been a blast so far.

It wasn’t just different players, it was a different situation and attitude. I really don’t doubt the kid has huge insurance. Last year was a culmination of a lot of things, and I don’t think it’s fair to say the fan base turned on Hood, there was a disappointment and frustration at what had happened to the franchise leading up to the moment 100 people out of 20,000 booed. Not even that’s would happen IMO with Donovan. There’s an attachment people have to him very few fanbases ever have with a player. Look no further than the love he got at the U when he went to the football game last week.

It wasn’t just different players, it was a different situation and attitude. I really don’t doubt the kid has huge insurance. Last year was a culmination of a lot of things, and I don’t think it’s fair to say the fan base turned on Hood, there was a disappointment and frustration at what had happened to the franchise leading up to the moment 100 people out of 20,000 booed. Not even that’s would happen IMO with Donovan. There’s an attachment people have to him very few fanbases ever have with a player. Look no further than the love he got at the U when he went to the football game last week.
I know...Donovan has done more in his short time in Utah to change the national perception of Utah than anyone who has gone before him. It would be inconceivable for us to turn on him. I really don't think it likely. Then again, I never thought Trump could get elected. So that shows what I know.

I know...Donovan has done more in his short time in Utah to change the national perception of Utah than anyone who has gone before him. It would be inconceivable for us to turn on him. I really don't think it likely. Then again, I never thought Trump could get elected. So that shows what I know.

I noticed last year in the days just before we went on that incredible win streak starting with the Warriors upset that our team was coming together, and I thought it was Donovan's way of being a leader. He sounds pretty level-headed now, like he just knows how to do one day at a time. I hope these personal attributes will enable all our team to do their best.

yah, it would take an actual championship for Utah Jazz fans and Utah to put him up with Stockton and Malone, but he is a real NBA contender and so are we, if we will just live up to it.