What's new

Will Hardy - Coach of the Year

One of the things I am glad about is Hardy has helped me feel vindicated that Quin didn't try enough stuff to fix our issues. Hardy taking a zone and box and 1 and using them as weapons is hilarious. Its more nuanced but these are basic rec league strategies (at their heart) and are better than "hey leave a 40% corner three shooter wide open in the corner because you want to rely on one player to do the most important defensive job AND recover... while others funnel players that way".

Trying a zone for like 5 minutes in the regular season and having it not work doesn't count.

One of the things I am glad about is Hardy has helped me feel vindicated that Quin didn't try enough stuff to fix our issues. Hardy taking a zone and box and 1 and using them as weapons is hilarious. Its more nuanced but these are basic rec league strategies (at their heart) and are better than "hey leave a 40% corner three shooter wide open in the corner because you want to rely on one player to do the most important defensive job AND recover... while others funnel players that way".

Trying a zone for like 5 minutes in the regular season and having it not work doesn't count.

Quin was plenty creative early on. He just lost his flexibility as time went by. Do you remember when he tried having players guard Harden by staying behind him to stop the step back 3?

Let's hope Hardy remains flexible.

Quin was plenty creative early on. He just lost his flexibility as time went by. Do you remember when he tried having players guard Harden by staying behind him to stop the step back 3?

Let's hope Hardy remains flexible.
Yes I remember that. He copied his coaching dad with that one. It was somewhat effective in slowing Harden. I just remember saying we should go to some sort of zone for a couple years... even if its just a change up. Quin had his thing that worked and would only adjust within that thing... DL is a bit guilty too in not providing more/better options.

Hardy does some stuff that makes me a little crazy here and there but I'm okay with experimenting and having failure. And yes... when we are more established I hope he continues to be flexible.

I swear I brought up using a zone about a million times for when teams were trying to take Rudy out of the game. And Rudy would be even better than Kessler is at it. And Kessler is amazing in our zone. It was just so frustrating that Quin didn't try anything against the clipps in that series in particular.

I swear I brought up using a zone about a million times for when teams were trying to take Rudy out of the game. And Rudy would be even better than Kessler is at it. And Kessler is amazing in our zone. It was just so frustrating that Quin didn't try anything against the clipps in that series in particular.
And there were some yelling "you armchair coach...wtf do you know... this ain't jr. Jazz".

I don't think Quin is super innovative. I think he's a solid coach but primarily a copy cat and too formulaic.

last night there were a lot of fans blasting Will because he did not play Kessler more. i dont think our own fans believe Will is coach of the year material. i believe he is a very good coach that deserves some recognition.

last night there were a lot of fans blasting Will because he did not play Kessler more. i dont think our own fans believe Will is coach of the year material. i believe he is a very good coach that deserves some recognition.
Eh I was blasting him and I think he is amazing and deserves a look for coach of the year if they keep playing great. Even popovich got criticized by spurs fans when he was winning championships. No coach is perfect all the time.

Part of it is Hardy is still developing the team and I want to maximize winning. Hardy is probably right.

0% chance Will gets it. It will go to the Thunder, Wolves, or Celtics
No way it goes to the Celtics lmfao.

They are the team everyone thought should be a no doubt top seed. They would have to have an all-time season for him to get it.

COTY is largely based on wins vs expected wins.

A lot of people thought the Jazz would be a decent team, like a mid 30's win team (believe pre-season betting was a 34.5 wins). They would have to win at least 45 wins for it to be a possibility, but probably more like 50.

Yeah Hardy is doing a great job, but I not sure a team with a .500 record is getting their coach in that conversation.