What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Adrian Wojnarowski

Adrian Wojnarowski
Cleveland GM Koby Altman circled back to Utah GM Justin Zanik on Tuesday and the two teams re-assembled a deal they had been discussing in previous weeks, sources tell ESPN. New York declined to do a trade a deal on Monday night, opening the door for Cleveland to secure a deal..

Player A: 24/4/4 on 45/36/86 Per 100 possessions 9.7 3 pt attempts, 6.6 FT attempts

Player B: 24/4/3 on 47/37/81 Per 100 possessions 6.2 3 pt attempts, 8.9 FT attempts

Who would you prefer?
Does either player play any defense whatsoever? If so I take that guy, cuz I know its not Don.

After this, the new target for the Lakers trade should be '27/'29 swaps and '28 unprotected if that is seen as an equal or lesser ask for the Lakers. Some of these picks owed need to be leveled out.
That would be even better for us. Make them those super swaps.

I need to know more about those swaps (something has to be special about '26, specifically). If anyone finds that info tag my ***.

I need to know more about those swaps (something has to be special about '26, specifically). If anyone finds that info tag my ***.

The only one that could be different is 2026 because we own theirs and Minnesota’s.

I’m interested to hear what people think on this.

Sexton at 4/72M or RJ at 4/107M

I’m super high on both but was higher on the prospect of RJ being here not in New York. Now that Sexton is here I lean towards him.

Cleveland general manager Koby Altman had been in discussions with the Jazz through late last week, but ended talks Friday when the two teams couldn't reach an agreement, sources said. Nevertheless, Altman reached back out to Utah general manager Justin Zanik on Tuesday morning and started the talks again, sources said. Within 48 hours, they had a deal for Mitchell.

New York had the assets Utah preferred and the sides seemed to be inching closer to a trade Sunday night and into Monday, but the Knicks balked on including Quentin Grimes in a trade with RJ Barrett to acquire Mitchell, sources said.

When guard Immanuel Quickley was proposed as a replacement for Grimes in the trade, Utah wanted three unprotected first-round draft picks as part of the package -- but New York would only do a third first-round pick that included top-five protections, sources said. Those packages would've included two second-round picks, two pick swaps and two expiring contracts from a third team, sources said. New York would've moved out Evan Fournier and first-round pick to a third team to spare Utah taking on Fournier's remaining $37 million, sources said.

New York president Leon Rose had been running a parallel negotiation with Barrett's agent, Bill Duffy, on a rookie contract extension and set Monday night as a deadline with the Jazz to get a deal -- or pause talks to finalize a new deal with Barrett, sources said. Barrett's deal -- four years and worth up to $120 million, Duffy told ESPN -- added a "poison pill" provision to his contract until next July and would've forced the Knicks and Jazz to restart talks with new deal parameters based on the extension.

New York planned to continue pursuing Mitchell, sources said, but the Jazz pivoted to the Cleveland discussions and never again engaged the Knicks in talks this week, sources said. The Knicks had made a calculated gamble that they could still get a deal done for Mitchell. Born in the New York area, Mitchell had been enthusiastic about the possibility of playing for the Knicks, sources said.

Just love it....

New York planned to continue pursuing Mitchell, sources said, but the Jazz pivoted to the Cleveland discussions and never again engaged the Knicks in talks this week, sources said. The Knicks had made a calculated gamble that they could still get a deal done for Mitchell.
Ainge is stone cold. God damn.

At the end of the day it's just hard for teams to commit a large amount of assets to a player when their team is so far behind in their team building process.

The Cavs and Wolves both felt they were 1 piece away and overpaid to get it done.

The Knicks are multiple moves away and ultimately felt uncomfortable committing a huge haul for something when they had no confidence in being able to reach a final build that justified it.

Didn't like ANY of the Knicks players, not even RJ, glad Ainge went with the Cavs. Always liked Lauri's game, never really busted out like some projected, but glad he's on the Jazz now.
Reasonable contract too. If it doesn’t work out they might move him again.

$16.5 this year.
$17.25 next year.
$18.0 non-guaranteed the year after that.

Basically the exact same contract as Fournier, but for a much younger player.

Can he stay healthy though?

Reasonable contract too. If it doesn’t work out they might move him again.

$16.5 this year.
$17.25 next year.
$18.0 non-guaranteed the year after that.

Basically the exact same contract as Fournier, but for a much younger player.

Can he stay healthy though?
He had no problems until a meniscus tear, and the only reason he missed so much time is because he decided to heal it correctly. I don't think there should be any serious or particular concerns about him at this stage.

At the end of the day it's just hard for teams to commit a large amount of assets to a player when their team is so far behind in their team building process.

The Cavs and Wolves both felt they were 1 piece away and overpaid to get it done.

The Knicks are multiple moves away and ultimately felt uncomfortable committing a huge haul for something when they had no confidence in being able to reach a final build that justified it.

They literally declined over top-5 protections on one pick lmao. I just can’t get over that.

Knicks fans also like "Look it shows we are building around the kids and taking the right approach"

Me to myself "yall traded a lotto pick for some lesser picks to get space to sign an average point guard"

Just really a lot of mental gymnastics going on.

Knicks fans also like "Look it shows we are building around the kids and taking the right approach"

Me to myself "yall traded a lotto pick for some lesser picks to get space to sign an average point guard"

Just really a lot of mental gymnastics going on.

The best part is the RJ extension announcement right after the deal was made.