What's new

Women serving in frontline combat roles

jimmy eat jazz

Here's a link to an article on the topic and how the marines are leaning against it. I'm curious how others feel about this.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-marines-combat-jobs_55fc1392e4b08820d9183dd6

I see women in frontline combat roles as an inevitability given the logic of equal rights and the fact that women continue to exceed the bounds that men place on them, in every aspect, including physical, mental, emotional, intellectual, etc.

Woman can pull a trigger as well as man imo

If wars were fought in hand to hand close quarters combat then I wouldn't want women on the front lines.

I do worry about what might happen to women who get captured though.... Could be some very bad things

If wars were fought in hand to hand close quarters combat then I wouldn't want women on the front lines.

I do worry about what might happen to women who get captured though.... Could be some very bad things

I don't like it, some jobs are better suited for men and some are better suited for women.

I don't like it, some jobs are better suited for men and some are better suited for women.

That's true. My job as a freelance sperm donor is very ill-suited for a woman, for example. But it isn't relevant to the military.

Women are just as capable of performing the tasks that men are in the military. Do not lower the standards for women but by all means let them enroll and train. just like the men, if they pass they are in. If not then no.

But even if the current style of war got back to hand to hand combat and trench warfare than we are more than likely going to need everyone we can get.

If they choose to serve on the front lines, they assume that risk. And torture goes both ways. Men can have their genitals electrocuted and cut off; women can be raped. Don't mean to be callous. I am very much against women serving up front. But if feminist groups insist on equality, than the same groups should not be shocked or outraged when bad things happen. Nor should any extraordinary means be taken to negotiate or rescue someone due to gender.

If they choose to serve on the front lines, they assume that risk. And torture goes both ways. Men can have their genitals electrocuted and cut off; women can be raped. Don't mean to be callous. I am very much against women serving up front. But if feminist groups insist on equality, than the same groups should not be shocked or outraged when bad things happen. Nor should any extraordinary means be taken to negotiate or rescue someone due to gender.

And unfortunately, the US's adoption of torture as an instrument of State policy has severely eroded our moral authority to oppose it when other countries use torture against us.

Pretty sure dudes got anuses and can get raped too. Equality.

Pretty sure dudes got anuses and can get raped too. Equality.

Yeah. Men's rights groups should stop bitching about anal rape if they want equality. Which I am very much against.

I'm willing to bet that if some isis dude got a hold of an American female soldier she would be treated worse than a male American soldier would

I'm willing to bet that if some isis dude got a hold of an American female soldier she would be treated worse than a male American soldier would

I agree that she would be. But by joining the military she is willingly choosing to face those risks.

As long as the women in question are physically, mentally and emotionally capable of performing their duties they should be allowed to if they so choose.

Not our place to tell them they cannot just as it is not their place to tell us we cannot.

I agree that she would be. But by joining the military she is willingly choosing to face those risks.

As long as the women in question are physically, mentally and emotionally capable of performing their duties they should be allowed to if they so choose.

Not our place to tell them they cannot just as it is not their place to tell us we cannot.
I agree with this. I was simply pointing out that they would be treated differently by the enemy. Siro and cy seemed like they were saying it would be no different.

I agree with this. I was simply pointing out that they would be treated differently by the enemy. Siro and cy seemed like they were saying it would be no different.

I wasn't saying anything. Like 99% of my posts, it was just a pointless joke.

But, yes, it is likely they would be treated differently, but not only in the way you think. For example, it is unlikely for IS to burn a woman alive on cam like they did to that Jordanian soldier. But they would be much more likely to be raped.

Women are just as capable of performing the tasks that men are in the military. Do not lower the standards for women but by all means let them enroll and train. just like the men, if they pass they are in. If not then no.

But even if the current style of war got back to hand to hand combat and trench warfare than we are more than likely going to need everyone we can get.

i know u wont care but there is a psychological side to all this. not just a physical.
the army with the most women in the world know from experience
examples
1.that when a combat unit consist of male and females and the female gets hurt. the performance of the whole combat unit goes down. if a man gets hurt the opposite happens.
2. mixed tank units. psychologically a tank unit consisting of 1 female and males. or more females are a friggin mess.
3. it is proven that mixed combat units arte less accurate, slower, and weaker.

the military is not MADE for social experiments.

As opposed to all the great things that happen to men who are captured?

Look, if a woman is going to be on the front lines, she knows the risks just as well as a man. And those might be slightly heightened, sure, but...

As opposed to all the great things that happen to men who are captured?

Look, if a woman is going to be on the front lines, she knows the risks just as well as a man. And those might be slightly heightened, sure, but...
Yes I already agreed with stoked when he said the same thing. Just saying that one of the negatives about them being on the frontlines is that the enemy will be worse to them.

I still think if they want to do it they should be able to

Last edited:
First off, let me just say that women should not be excluded simply because of their gender. Give them the chance if they really want it.
Having said that, it's my opinion that majority of women don't belong in combat situations. Back in 1994, I went through basic training with the first group of army soldiers that trained men and women together. I've seen first hand how hard it is for women to compete with men in the military. I completely support women's rights, but I believe it is unrealistic to ignore such things as the differences in physical strength between men and women. In combat situations, there are times when you may have to rely on your fellow soldier to do something physical, such as drag your *** out of the line of fire after being wounded.
Lastly, there have been women soldiers in other countries that have truly been effective killers and contributed a great deal to their military's efforts. Usually, this has been in situations where these women have suffered great hardship in a war torn country, and pushed to the point of desperation to survive. I don't really believe most American women can reach this state of mind, having never been pushed to their limits by the enemy.

Last edited:
Whether or not women would be treated differently if captured by the enemy is insignificant. All soldiers know the risk when they sign up. The main issue is how much of a liability women may pose to their fellow soldiers in combat situations. There are other issues as well, but that's the biggest question.