What's new

Would you Flip Conley for Paul this Off-Season?

Would You Trade Conley for Paul

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Just want to see where everyone's head is at on this cuz it's kind of interesting. Assume the Jazz would have to give up a little extra to do the deal (like a protected 1st rounder, or multiple 2nds)

Details:

Conley has 2 more years left:
22-23: 22.7 million
23-24: 24.3 million (can be waived for a cap hit of 14 million)

CP3 has 3 years left
22-23: 28 million
23-24: 30.1 million (can be waived w/ a 15.8 million cap hit)
24-25: 30 million (non-guaranteed)

Paul is like 2.25 years older than Conley as well.

Both were very good this year, but had disappointing ends to the season. Both have seemingly dropped off in their ability to be consistent players late into the season. Paul is at an age where you are expect a severe drop off at some point. Conley is at that age too, but I feel his exponential risk factor for an immediate sharp drop off is lower.

They both are partially guaranteed in year 2, but the number is so high it would be difficult to waive for either team. It does make them tradeable though to a team that would want them just to absorb salary for a pick, then waive them (if that is legal).

Last edited:
Yes, and my reasoning would be as follows:

1. This locker room (and coaching staff) is in desperate need of an ******* who will get on everyone and demand focus, even if he’s not being effective with it at all times.

2. I believe he’ll give you a better defensive presence.

3. Who are the people who can put Donovan in his place and emphasize what’s good and to keep doing, and what’s not and to stop? And who does that enough that Donovan would look up to them and respect them in some regard?

In a sense, CP3 would be filling a huge vacuum of responsibilities that are otherwise Quin’s. He’d essentially carry Quin’s load. ******** decision making down the stretch that Quin tolerates? CP won’t tolerate that.

I don't want either one of them at this point in their careers.
The thing is that you could make an argument that on the Jazz CP3 wouldnt have to score as much. He'd have Clarkson/Bogey to take more scoring off him than Bridges/Johnson take on. So maybe CP3 could excel in Utah. It's just so risky though because the CP3 massive drop off could come at any moment, and if you have to give up a 1st to make the move from Conley to CP3, that could be tough to swallow, since you would need to move off another first the following year to get off his contract (potentially).

Also I think Paul is someone who could salvage DM + RG better than most anyone, at least in terms of a working relationship.

And FFS could you imagine having Rudy paired with an actual lob threat passer? Throwing lobs to Rudy was one of two things that sometimes made someone like Exum look like a basketball player.

I would, but PHX wouldn’t. That said, I’d rather flip Conley for other assets than Paul anyway as we need to get bigger and younger.
I'm not so sure PHX wouldn't. They have to PAY Ayton a max contract his summer. Those extra CP3 dollars he would earn over Conley make a big difference.

This roster has a lot of deficiencies physically and personnel wise. But our biggest issues aren’t total talent and skill set distribution (those are problems, to be sure), but the mental components of the game. We’re going to do a blowup predicated on not recognizing (and addressing) our mental flaws. A move like this would allow you to just clean up on the fringe moves and you’re good to go.

This roster has a lot of deficiencies physically and personnel wise. But our biggest issues aren’t total talent and skill set distribution (those are problems, to be sure), but the mental components of the game. We’re going to do a blowup predicated on not recognizing (and addressing) our mental flaws. A move like this would allow you to just clean up on the fringe moves and you’re good to go.
Yeah, but like I said, you would have to give up something. It couldnt be a straight swap.

And if Paul just drops off a cliff (which is very possible) then you are looking at spending another 1st to dump him the following year.

Part 2:

What's the maximum you would give up to make a CP3/Conley trade work?

Caveat: The Suns under no circumstances want to take more salary on than they trade. A big reason for them doing the trade is to cut cost.

Also the Chris Paul stuff is just another reminder that overly relying on small guards in the playoffs is a very hard way to win.

For as great as CP3 has been throughout his career, he always comes up short (no pun intended) because he just can't be as dominant as someone who is 6'8.

Hopefully the Jazz take note and trade Mitchell ASAP

The thing is that you could make an argument that on the Jazz CP3 wouldnt have to score as much. He'd have Clarkson/Bogey to take more scoring off him than Bridges/Johnson take on. So maybe CP3 could excel in Utah. It's just so risky though because the CP3 massive drop off could come at any moment, and if you have to give up a 1st to make the move from Conley to CP3, that could be tough to swallow, since you would need to move off another first the following year to get off his contract (potentially).

We would still need to address our defensive issues. Either Bogey or Clarkson would need to be moved for a defensive wing, and then if you lose one of those guys CP3 would need to take on a bigger scoring load.

We would still need to address our defensive issues. Either Bogey or Clarkson would need to be moved for a defensive wing, and then if you lose one of those guys CP3 would need to take on a bigger scoring load.
I think the idea would be like @infection said. That CP3 becomes a more vocal leader and guys like PrimaDonovan work harder on D because they are being led by a true leader and not a fraud like Donovan.

Would be ok doing it in recent past, wouldn't today

He's still really good and would be an obvious improvement, but not make us any younger, taller, physically stronger, etc