What's new

Would you Flip Conley for Paul this Off-Season?

Would You Trade Conley for Paul

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hard stop. What?
The system doesn't flatter him for sure and sometimes players make shot over him because of his size but he makes timely rotations, knows where to be and doesn't get beat badly enough that he isn't in the play. His foot speed isn't great but it isn't shot either. He just isn't versatile enough or impactful beyond his position to cover for others.

He would look better defensively with another team. Kinda like how people thought Chris Paul was washed when he was in Houston and he reclaimed his value in Oklahoma with a group of high energy, lengthy athletic players.

I would flip conley for a bigger wing and put donovan at point guard.
I dont like being undersized.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Would be ok doing it in recent past, wouldn't today

He's still really good and would be an obvious improvement, but not make us any younger, taller, physically stronger, etc

Ya, seems like everyone is on the same page in jazz fandom. Hopefully the front office is

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

What if I told you Conley’s opponents shot 5% left from the field than Crowder’s in the playoffs?
Conley is an average defender, his size hurts, but he plays smart defense. Players tend to shoot 3s against him at a higher % due to his size.

His lack of size is exacerbated when paired with Mitchell and Royce in the backcourt.

I’d probably pass… I think this iteration of the Jazz is almost as cooked as CP. I do think CP would help our guys on court and in being competitive but I think it’s a Hail Mary and giving up any firsts that might actually convey would hurt the inevitable rebuild in pretty terrible ways.
The only benefit Paul brings to the jazz is leadership, other than that, he’s Sloan down much more then Conley, and will only get worse next season. I think he’s much more injury prone than Conley. What exactly does this swap do for the jazz then POSSIBLY make us marginally better for only next season IMO, oh and he’s more expensive and I’m sure the suns want other assets because it’s CP3. We are better off starting over sooner rather then later.

The system doesn't flatter him for sure and sometimes players make shot over him because of his size but he makes timely rotations, knows where to be and doesn't get beat badly enough that he isn't in the play. His foot speed isn't great but it isn't shot either. He just isn't versatile enough or impactful beyond his position to cover for others.

He would look better defensively with another team. Kinda like how people thought Chris Paul was washed when he was in Houston and he reclaimed his value in Oklahoma with a group of high energy, lengthy athletic players.
We dont have high energy athletic players, sure. But Conley's still helped by a all time great rim protector in Rudy so let's not pretend it's the Jazz who's making him look bad.

I mean you are kinda contradicting yourself a bit here.

Conley makes "good rotation" but he isn't versatile enough to cover other positions, which make his "good rotation" pointless. He can guard the PG position only but he's too small and would just get shot over by the big PGs like Luka and isn't quick enough or strong enough to keep up with some of the more athletic/physical PGs like Morant or Brunson. So the question really shouldn't be us causing problem for Conley, when he's very much part of our problem.

The only benefit Paul brings to the jazz is leadership, other than that, he’s Sloan down much more then Conley, and will only get worse next season. I think he’s much more injury prone than Conley. What exactly does this swap do for the jazz then POSSIBLY make us marginally better for only next season IMO, oh and he’s more expensive and I’m sure the suns want other assets because it’s CP3. We are better off starting over sooner rather then later.
its a silly argument because neither team is really down for Conley Paul swap. I'd do a straight swap. Paul is a much better passer and floor general. I think Mike falls off a cliff soon. What Dallas did to CP gives me some hope it wasn't just Mike sucking... it was a great defense and scheme. Lets see how they deal with Steph.

its a silly argument because neither team is really down for Conley Paul swap. I'd do a straight swap. Paul is a much better passer and floor general. I think Mike falls off a cliff soon. What Dallas did to CP gives me some hope it wasn't just Mike sucking... it was a great defense and scheme. Lets see how they deal with Steph.
I just see Paul declining faster. IMO I trust him less than Conley to stay healthy, which is why Paul could likely regress much more next year then you wouldn’t even be able to unload him next season if it’s a mistake.

I just see Paul declining faster. IMO I trust him less than Conley to stay healthy, which is why Paul could likely regress much more next year then you wouldn’t even be able to unload him next season if it’s a mistake.
Believe it or not. A "declining" CP3 just had a playoff campaign that's better than Conley's career average. Even in the Mavs series which he got widely criticized for, he still averaged 13/4/5 on 55%/48%/91% shooting. A "washed" CP3 is still miles better than Conley ever been in a jazz uniform, that's assuming he could stay healthy.

We dont have high energy athletic players, sure. But Conley's still helped by a all time great rim protector in Rudy so let's not pretend it's the Jazz who's making him look bad.

I mean you are kinda contradicting yourself a bit here.

Conley makes "good rotation" but he isn't versatile enough to cover other positions, which make his "good rotation" pointless. He can guard the PG position only but he's too small and would just get shot over by the big PGs like Luka and isn't quick enough or strong enough to keep up with some of the more athletic/physical PGs like Morant or Brunson. So the question really shouldn't be us causing problem for Conley, when he's very much part of our problem.

Rotations doesn't mean switches and some good defensive teams do great job of not allowing switches.

Luka wasn't the tallest person on the Mavs and he shot 3 of 8 when he was guarded by Conley. During the regular season Forwards shot %46 and %34. His size doesn't help him, I don't think anyone is arguing that. We need someone tall and versatile alongside Mitchell to offset his weaknesses. That doesn't mean Conley is a bad defender or that he is a liability. He just isn't solving anything for this Jazz team.

Since the thread is about Chris Paul, my point is that the swap could be even more disastrous. Suns heavily tried to hide Chris Paul on defense by limiting the distance he covers, giving him the least problematic opponent and keeping him out of actions. Jazz didn't do that with Conley and can't afford to do that with Chris Paul.

Believe it or not. A "declining" CP3 just had a playoff campaign that's better than Conley's career average. Even in the Mavs series which he got widely criticized for, he still averaged 13/4/5 on 55%/48%/91% shooting. A "washed" CP3 is still miles better than Conley ever been in a jazz uniform, that's assuming he could stay healthy.
In theory I agree with you, but he’s 37 years old and is even more fragile then Conley making more money. He’s a bigger gamble. Even if the jazz did that swap, and all goes well, and he has something left in the tank, what has the jazz gained other then some leadership and a few more wins. They are still going to have to blow it up over the next year or two, he’s not bringing a star or a chip over to Utah and he’s expensive for the next two years at 37.

It would be not only leadership, he would be able to feed Rudy much better than Conley. He is a master of midrange and lob game.

It would be not only leadership, he would be able to feed Rudy much better than Conley. He is a master of midrange and lob game.
Is that getting us a chip, no. I did say he could get us more wins assuming he does the impossible and stays healthy. Still doesn’t get us closer to contending.

Sure, I would love to see Rudy happy about the touches for once though.
Right because Rudy being happy is wayyyy more important than winning a chip. Who the **** cares about happiness. I won’t be happy till we are champs, so screw Goberts happiness, I’m sure he’d say the same thing.