What's new

Wow. Cougar fans aren't going to like this......

7StraightIsGreat

So with Utah joining the Pac-12 in 2011, I think the only thing BYU and Utah fans can agree on is that the rivalry needs to live on. While I think that will be the case, there is pretty good reason to think that BYU and Utah will need to at least take 2011 off before resuming the rivalry in 2012. The reasons?

-It sounds like the Pac-10 is trying to decide between playing 8 or 9 conference games once they officially expand in 2011. My guess is they will choose 8 because it allows each team to play 4 at home and 4 away.

-Assuming they end up choosing 8 conference games, that means Utah's already filled 4 of there 6 away dates. They are also already contractually signed up to play @ Boise St and @ Pittsburg in 2011. Trying to get out of either game would reportedly cost the Utes a ton of cash and it's not likely that they would be let out of either of those games even if they wanted to.

-That means, all 6 of Utah's road dates are already spoken for which means 1 of 2 things: Either BYU agrees to come and play @ Utah for the 2nd straight year, or they take a year hiatus before resuming the series in Provo a year later.

Just curious to see what both fan bases think. My own two cents is that this rivalry is too important to the fans to let it skip a year, even if that means BYU playing two straight in SLC. If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd much rather play 2 straight in Provo as opposed to not playing at all. In fact, I think during McBride's tenure, the MWC was doing something in regards to changing the home and away schedules and Utah ended up playing two straight years in Provo.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the tip Archie but I decided to make a new thread because the other thread's title would lead one to believe it was talking about the overall landscape of rivalries, not just the Utah-BYU match-up. I decided to make a new thread because this seems a little more direct to the Utah-BYU match-up and I'm asking a specific question about what the fan bases think of playing back-to-back game in SLC. Not only that, but that thread has broken down into an unbearable pissing match. I had no desire to interrupt. Don't like it? See about having it merged, or continue with the arrogant tone. Either way is fine with me.

Also, in regards to my thought that Utah played two straight in Provo during the McBride years, I was wrong. Neither school has hosted back-to-back games since the 70's.......

Ummm, did the dude that starts a new thread every time the wind blows just call out somebody else for starting a well articulated thread.

Reactions: UB
When talk of Utah going to the PAC very first started I predicted a death to the rivalry. Within a decade it will be all but dead. Book it.

When talk of Utah going to the PAC very first started I predicted a death to the rivalry. Within a decade it will be all but dead. Book it.

Just like the Florida - Florida St, Iowa - Iowa St, USC - Notre dame rivalries? I can keep going too.

Just like the Florida - Florida St, Iowa - Iowa St, USC - Notre dame rivalries? I can keep going too.

That's just fine. You keep naming rivalries but the Utah vs. BYU rivalry will slowly die. Utah fans will be too snobby to care and BYU fans will target TCU or BSU trying to justify why Utah no longer matters.

If there is any semblance of a rivalry it will be bitter BYU fans trying to knock off a BCS team.

Now that Utah is in teh 12-PAC BYU is in no position to dictate terms. If Utah has an opening in SLC that BYU could fill then they should feel honored to get a game against a team in a real conference.

Now that Utah is in teh 12-PAC BYU is in no position to dictate terms. If Utah has an opening in SLC that BYU could fill then they should feel honored to get a game against a team in a real conference.

Like I said, Utah fans will be too snobby.

Uhh BYU schedules Pac-10 teams every year. They do home and home against them.

Haha, Utah fans are so lame. "they [BYU] should feel honored to get a game against a team in a real conference."

I just told Mrs. Trout that quote and I thought she was going to die laughing. I asked her, "Do you think they're just trying to get my goat, or are they serious...?" She was like, "Oh, they're serious." and went on to tell me about some fart box she knows who wrote up a full blog page on what a great day in history it was when the Utes got into a "Real Conference".

There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe how ludicrous the Utah fan base is.

FYI, I'm not really all that into college sports. Thought I might get a few bites, though.

All the rivalries you just named are between teams who are BOTH in BCS conferences (ND included because they have an automatic bid if they finish with high rank). Thus, neither team is stooping down a level to keep the rivalry alive.

After next year, you wont be able to say that Utah and BYU. It was sad when the "Holy War" was replaced by the "Deseret Duel"... but that will be nothing compared to seeing BYU having to start a new "Deseret Duel" with Utah State :p

If Utah were really not scared about playing BYU and that much better of a team, they would agree to play an extra road game that year and play at the Y. They could (and would) make up the revenue by scheduling an extra home game the next year, just keep Weber State, (the Big Sky powerhouse) on your schedule. That should do it.

Wait isn't that the same Utah St. that the Y thought they're too good to play every year and also was making them go to Provo 2x for every 1x game up in Ogden?

*I honestly don't remember how it got resolved or even if it did I just remember Utah St. being upset about it. That and I do like goading trout, calm down trout that is GOADING not GOATING pull your pants back up *

Haha, Utah fans are so lame. "they [BYU] should feel honored to get a game against a team in a real conference."

I just told Mrs. Trout that quote and I thought she was going to die laughing. I asked her, "Do you think they're just trying to get my goat, or are they serious...?" She was like, "Oh, they're serious." and went on to tell me about some fart box she knows who wrote up a full blog page on what a great day in history it was when the Utes got into a "Real Conference".

There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe how ludicrous the Utah fan base is.

Now you get an idea of how Utah fans feel about Zoobie's and their over bloated sense of worth for the last 40 years. Funny thing is it has been almost 30 years since BYU has done anything worth being that proud about so they continue to worship their fake title even when they are too young to have cared when it actually happened.