What's new

WTF happened to rap?

?

Most the rap I hear complaints about is triplet beat/flow combined with trap combined with bad lyrics. I dont see how that grew out of Eminem, or any of the other gifted lyricists with great vocals. The stretched beats allow for more words which is what the mumble rappers you were referring to are doing, not really emulating the choppers. They can mumble rap on a 2/4 beat too.

?

Most the rap I hear complaints about is triplet beat/flow combined with trap combined with bad lyrics. I dont see how that grew out of Eminem, or any of the other gifted lyricists with great vocals. The stretched beats allow for more words which is what the mumble rappers you were referring to are doing, not really emulating the choppers. They can mumble rap on a 2/4 beat too.
So I listen to rap only superficially. I never wrote a dissertation on it. To me it sounds like they are trying to cram as many words into as small a space as possible, hence mumbling. Eminem and others started that trend, and did it well, so others emulated and tried to do it "better", and ended up sucking at it. That's the way I see it anyway.

I honestly don’t like it because it feels fake. Now it’s all about branding and creating an image and making money.

30 years ago it was more just street. At least it felt that way.

I want real thugs, not a bunch of black dudes living large on a yacht, toasting their champagne glasses.

So I listen to rap only superficially. I never wrote a dissertation on it. To me it sounds like they are trying to cram as many words into as small a space as possible, hence mumbling. Eminem and others started that trend, and did it well, so others emulated and tried to do it "better", and ended up sucking at it. That's the way I see it anyway.

Nah.

One of my favorite rappers ever is Old dirty Bastard. So underrated. Nothing like getting a buzz and jamming some of that.

Probably nobody is feeling that. Haha.

Rap sucks. The most overrated "music"

While I'm not a fan of rap, I think is wrong to use the quotes. Many rap artists are highly trained musicians, just like any other branch of music. Speaking in rhythm has been a staple of music for centuries.

well...matter of taste I would say. Nothing there impressed me musically.
Eh, I disagree, you don't have to like it, but if you can't recognize the amount of time and energy invested into his craft (not to mention talent) I don't know what to tell you.

There are very few actual "mumble" rappers. Its an overused term.

And you couldn't be farther off on the origins of it. It started in the south with Future, and its basically a bunch of people trying to sound like Future, who tries to sound like hes high on lean all the time.

Eh, I disagree, you don't have to like it, but if you can't recognize the amount of time and energy invested into his craft (not to mention talent) I don't know what to tell you.
Craft and talent for rap - I agree. If you look at it strictly musically and mathematically ( notes, melody, rhythm, harmonies, etc) it is more primitive then most primitive pop. Lets say if high quality Jazz music is NBA and then Rap would be amateur league in China.

There are very few actual "mumble" rappers. Its an overused term.

And you couldn't be farther off on the origins of it. It started in the south with Future, and its basically a bunch of people trying to sound like Future, who tries to sound like hes high on lean all the time.
Blahblahblahlookatmeimagangstablahblahblah

Craft and talent for rap - I agree. If you look at it strictly musically and mathematically ( notes, melody, rhythm, harmonies, etc) it is more primitive then most primitive pop. Lets say if high quality Jazz music is NBA and then Rap would be amateur league in China.
"Oh Rap just isn't complex enough for me to consider it musically valid"

Honestly, that's just about the worst kind of music snobbery, and this is coming from someone who listens to and enjoys prog rock.