What's new

Yesterday, I got the last 4G iPhone in Vegas

HTC EVO 4 G here(best phone on the market for any service provider). Unfortunately SLC doesn't currently have 4 G but it will be up and running soon with Sprint.
You can get a 4G signal in some places around the valley. It will be nice when they launch it all over though.
You're right, best phone on the market right now.

(posted from my Evo)

Thats pretty sweet.

Yeah, there's no cap for data usage either (or extra charges for using a certain amount, like AT&T is doing now). So you can use the video calls as much as you want without worrying about going over a limit on data usage.

And the big ole screen on it is awesome for video calls too.

the evo looks sick! too bad sprint sucks

Sprint's customer service sucks, no doubt. But they have way more coverage than AT&T nationwide, free roaming on Verizon, and their 4G is the fastest data out of any carrier right now. Oh yeah, and they're cheaper than everyone but T-Mobile too.

So as long as you don't have to call them for any reason, they're awesome. But if you have to call them, you'll be ready to reach through the phone and strangle someone.

It's the iPhone 4 NOT the iPhone 4G. That's a pretty big diffference. Iphone 4 still runs off a 3G network for data.

Don't buy an iPhone 4 expecting 4G data speeds.

It's the iPhone 4 NOT the iPhone 4G. That's a pretty big diffference. Iphone 4 still runs off a 3G network for data.

Don't buy an iPhone 4 expecting 4G data speeds.
Yeah, I meant to comment on that and forgot. Thanks for reminding me.

AT&T is supposedly rolling out HSPA+ later in the year (which is not 4G, but faster than their current 3G) so the iPhone 4 will get faster data speeds at that time. but even then, it still won't be 4G speeds.

AT&T is supposedly going to start rolling out 4G next year (LTE), but the iPhone 4 won't be compatible with it.

Does Verizon have any badass phones like these?

I have the Blackberry Tour and love it but am due for an upgrade shortly.

Will video phones like the EVO and Iphone 4 be compatibile with eachother?...what about using it with skype or a mac laptop video call?

Does Verizon have any badass phones like these?

I have the Blackberry Tour and love it but am due for an upgrade shortly.
Verizon has the HTC Droid Incredible right now, which is a step down from these phones. However, Verizon has the Droid X coming out in a couple weeks which is supposed to be pretty awesome, but I don't think it has the front cam for video calls. the Droid 2 is supposed to be coming out later this year too, and it might have a front cam, but that isn't confirmed yet.

Will video phones like the EVO and Iphone 4 be compatibile with eachother?...what about using it with skype or a mac laptop video call?
Apple uses a proprietary app for their video calls, so it probably won't be compatible with anything else. On the Evo though, it's an open API on the front cam. There are actually 2 seperate apps that do video calls right now, both made by third parties. One of the apps, called Fring, also has a Skype plugin. So you can sign into Skype with it and video call anyone on Skype (or they can call you) even if they are using a laptop or whatever and you are on your Evo. And since these are Android apps, they should work on any Android phone that has a front camera. I think Both Fring and Qik (the other video call app) both make clients for other platforms as well. So you would be able to video call anyone on any of the platforms running the app.

Fring also has plugins for several messenger services too (MSN, Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, etc).

Verizon has the HTC Droid Incredible right now, which is a step down from these phones. However, Verizon has the Droid X coming out in a couple weeks which is supposed to be pretty awesome, but I don't think it has the front cam for video calls. the Droid 2 is supposed to be coming out later this year too, and it might have a front cam, but that isn't confirmed yet.

Apple uses a proprietary app for their video calls, so it probably won't be compatible with anything else. On the Evo though, it's an open API on the front cam. There are actually 2 seperate apps that do video calls right now, both made by third parties. One of the apps, called Fring, also has a Skype plugin. So you can sign into Skype with it and video call anyone on Skype (or they can call you) even if they are using a laptop or whatever and you are on your Evo. And since these are Android apps, they should work on any Android phone that has a front camera. I think Both Fring and Qik (the other video call app) both make clients for other platforms as well. So you would be able to video call anyone on any of the platforms running the app.

Fring also has plugins for several messenger services too (MSN, Google Talk, Yahoo, AIM, etc).

Do you work at a cell phone place or something?

I love how this thread turned into a discussion about Android. Just another example of the momentum Android is gaining. It won't be long before Apple loses the smartphone war. Android is the future. By the way, I love my Motorola Droid. I'm very impressed with what I've seen from the Droid X, and would be very tempted to get one if I was eligible for an upgrade.

It won't be long before Apple loses the smartphone war.

Unfortunately I have to disagree. That Apple products are great is, at this point, essentially a religious credo for the faithful. There are entire legions that will purchase the apple product because it's cool. This, despite the fact of their products sometimes blindingly obvious flaws, such as lack of support for Adobe Flash.

I own an iPhone and will probably be switching simply because I'm presently annoyed every time I'm on an airplane and I see 6 black iphones being pulled out across my row. And that doesn't even get me started on how frequently I get confused when someone else gets a text message or an e-mail.

I own an iPhone and will probably be switching simply because I'm presently annoyed every time I'm on an airplane and I see 6 black iphones being pulled out across my row.
You're upset cuz other people have them?

And that doesn't even get me started on how frequently I get confused when someone else gets a text message or an e-mail.
Ya, if there was only some way you could change the tones used . . .