What's new

Yogi Ferrell signs with Jazz.

... @infection ’s theory is really gaining traction with me.
Not sure what "theory" you're referring to. Yogi had (per Tony Jones) signed an Exhibit 10 contract. So it was never the intention that he'd be with the Jazz, but rather only with the Stars. Whether he ends up with the Stars or gets a better offer elsewhere in the meantime remains to be seen.

Not sure what "theory" you're referring to. Yogi had (per Tony Jones) signed an Exhibit 10 contract. So it was never the intention that he'd be with the Jazz, but rather only with the Stars. Whether he ends up with the Stars or gets a better offer elsewhere in the meantime remains to be seen.
That the Jazz are letting their 3-4 GM’s take turns making decisions.

So did he get cut or not?

Do we need a refresher on Exhibit 10 contracts here?

Let’s say an undrafted rookie signs an Exhibit 10 contract with the Knicks that includes a $50K bonus. He attends camp with the Knicks, but is waived before the regular season begins, with New York designating him an affiliate player in order to retain his G League rights. In that scenario, if the rookie elects to play in the G League for the Westchester Knicks and remains with the club for 60 days, he’d be entitled to his full $50K bonus.

The player wouldn’t receive that bonus if he opts to sign with a team overseas after being waived by the Knicks. Essentially, the Exhibit 10 bonus serves as an incentive for players to stick with their team’s G League affiliate — they must spend at least 60 days with the NBAGL club in order to get their bonus.

Full article from the Hoopsrumors site: https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract-2.html

Isn't there some rule about veterans playing in the G-League? I think they can only go to the G-League for injury assignments and that type of thing. Yogi is being signed to be on this roster and travel. Can't have Forrest play in the G-League and travel with the team. It makes sense for the Jazz to get an emergency PG option. Yogi isn't bad for that role. I would have gone with Jordan Mac or Frank Mason personally.

Any rule like this would only hurt the vet trying to prove themselves.

I watched Nate Robinson play in Delaware, so I don't think it is a rule. Such a cool dude, we had courtside seats and we were cheering for and talking with him. He hit a halftime buzzer-beater and came over and high-fived my son and his friend. That dude loves the game.

On a tangential note, I watched future hall of farmer Eddy Murray play AAA for Albuquerque against the Buzz in 1997.

Last edited:
Any rule like this would only hurt the vet trying to prove themselves.

I watched Nate Robinson play in Delaware, so I don't think it is a rule. Such a cool dude, we had courtside seats and we were cheering for and talking with him. He hit a halftime buzzer-beater and came over and high-fived my son and his friend. That dude loves the game.

On a tangential note, I watched future hall of farmer Eddy Murphy play AAA for Albuquerque against the Buzz in 1997.
Wasn't that the dude who played basketball with Charlie Murphy against Prince? I seem to remember Charlie mentioning him. . .

Teams sign and then waive players to get their D League affiliate rights. That is all there is to this.

From G League web site:

"NBA teams trim their rosters from a maximum of 20 players invited to training camp to 15 on opening night. The “affiliate player rule” allows them to retain up to four of the players that they waive, while an additional two rosters spots are now available for Two-Way Contracts.

Players designated by an NBA team as affiliate players are automatically allocated to that team’s NBA G League affiliate if they choose to sign an NBA G League contract. Affiliate players remain free agents available for any of the 30 NBA teams to sign."

He'll be entertaining on the Stars, and in case he does not get an NBA contract, he can quickly be pulled onto the Jazz on an emergency basis for PG depth.

Wasn't that the dude who played basketball with Charlie Murphy against Prince? I seem to remember Charlie mentioning him. . .

Funny!

I can’t believe I did that since people calling Eddy Murray Eddy Murphy was one of my pet peeves.

Do I blame autocorrect or senility?