What's new

Your ideal finish to free agency?

According to rumors we were on the market for Porzingis had he made FA and have inquired about Tobias Harris.

So in a scale of "tank -- build up -- win now" DA mindset is definitely closer to "win now" than "tank".

According to rumors we were on the market for Porzingis had he made FA and have inquired about Tobias Harris.

So in a scale of "tank -- build up -- win now" DA mindset is definitely closer to "win now" than "tank".
This.

Also the fact that we didn’t get back in the draft in the 2nd round I think was also an indicator we didnt want to be too young.

I’m betting we fill up the rest of the roster to make the playoffs next season.

I'm fairly convinced whatever was going on with the DA and Porzingis was ultimately supposed to end exactly how it did, with Porzingis in Boston.

Something to keep in mind is we've cap space, which means that we'll be linked to ever FA and trade rumor on the market, regardless of how little sense it makes, as we've seen with Porkins and Harris. We're still closer to the tank side of build up than win now.

Something to keep in mind is we've cap space, which means that we'll be linked to ever FA and trade rumor on the market, regardless of how little sense it makes, as we've seen with Porkins and Harris. We're still closer to the tank side of build up than win now.
We cannot dismiss all rumors based on the cap space argument, especially since DA and Zanik both said during the spring that we intend to be aggressive in the offseason FA/trade markets and look to make splash moves.

Besides, Stein wrote the piece about Porzingis, and didn't mention any other teams than us that he heard being interested. Also the Harris report isnt just "potential suitors" piece, its based on actual inquiries to Sixers. Since these actions are aligned with our FOs reported intentions, it would seem the smoke could come with fire in this occasion.

We cannot dismiss all rumors based on the cap space argument, especially since DA and Zanik both said during the spring that we intend to be aggressive in the offseason FA/trade markets and look to make splash moves.

Besides, Stein wrote the piece about Porzingis, and didn't mention any other teams than us that he heard being interested. Also the Harris report isnt just "potential suitors" piece, its based on actual inquiries to Sixers. Since these actions are aligned with our FOs reported intentions, it would seem the smoke could come with fire in this occasion.
Posted in the other thread some stuff… I think we are still in on Collins… Kuzma and others.

I think my goal in FA is to come out with more talent on good contracts… build the asset base. Tobias and Zinger were high level cap placeholders. Any deal we get needs to be something we can get out of or that is an asset. We aren’t at the final stages of what we are doing but I doubt we want to tank this year… this may shock you… I am not a tanker this season… unless we have major injuries but that’s not really tanking… just horrible luck.

Wednesday’s Kristaps Porziņģis trade saga ultimately required the Celtics to manufacture two separate deals to acquire the former Wizard. Along the way I heard from multiple rival teams that were convinced Porziņģis, had he not landed with the Celtics, was poised to receive strong free agent interest from Utah had he elected to decline his $36 million player option for next season before Wednesday’s midnight deadline.
The Jazz are projected to have between $47 and $73 million in cap space for the offseason, but they also already have All-Star forward Lauri Markkanen and Walker Kessler, freshly recruited to play for USA Basketball in the FIBA World Cup later this summer, in their frontcourt.
I think we can discount that one. What other teams believe is not the same as what we're planning on doing.

Posted in the other thread some stuff… I think we are still in on Collins… Kuzma and others.

I think my goal in FA is to come out with more talent on good contracts… build the asset base. Tobias and Zinger were high level cap placeholders. Any deal we get needs to be something we can get out of or that is an asset. We aren’t at the final stages of what we are doing but I doubt we want to tank this year… this may shock you… I am not a tanker this season… unless we have major injuries but that’s not really tanking… just horrible luck.
Doesnt shock me. I did understand your reasons and the debates we had were mainly about semantics anyways.

For this year, barring huge trades (in or out) I think our floor is play in exit, while our ceiling is 2nd round exit. Would be great to get playoff experience since we have almost none really (except guys like KO, THT, Gay).

True goal of this year is to keep the radar active for the big splash move and if the right star becomes disgruntled we are there to sweep in and get our guy. Or if such opportunity doesnt come or we lose that race, then we must bank in for breakthroughs from one or more of our young guys to become that second co-star with Lauri.