What's new

Your kids in Football?

True story: My younger brother didn't play a lick of football before his Junior or Senior year of High School (I honestly don't remember which). He ended up in the ER after practice one day. I played before high school and never had that happen to me. Was it coincidence? Maybe. I do know that I was never timid and didn't shy away from hits. His first step was ALWAYS backwards and he didn't like hitting. I firmly believe that the kids that aren't taught early how to play and how to properly hit and get hit are more likely to get hurt. Of course it can still happen to anybody, but I'll take the better odds.

True story: My younger brother didn't play a lick of football before his Junior or Senior year of High School (I honestly don't remember which). He ended up in the ER after practice one day. I played before high school and never had that happen to me. Was it coincidence? Maybe. I do know that I was never timid and didn't shy away from hits. His first step was ALWAYS backwards and he didn't like hitting. I firmly believe that the kids that aren't taught early how to play and how to properly hit and get hit are more likely to get hurt. Of course it can still happen to anybody, but I'll take the better odds.

Why the hell was he playing football then?

My honest opinion is he thought it would make him cool. He's always been one to do whatever is necessary to think he's cool or the center of attention.

Obviously you have to be a certain kind of person to excel at Football. I never had any interest in playing because I just never found it fun to play(and I was a long lanky toothpick until my junior year). The idea that starting in HS puts you at such a huge disadvantage is ridiculous. I'm sure it helps to start early and have a basic understanding, but if a kid wants to learn to play, they have plenty of time if they are dedicate and actually love football. Isn't that what they have 9th grade and JV teams for? To teach kids how to play so when they become juniors and seniors they can compete on the varsity team? Or do HS coaches just throw kids to the curb if they aren't amazing on day 1?

Obviously you have to be a certain kind of person to excel at Football. I never had any interest in playing because I just never found it fun to play(and I was a long lanky toothpick until my junior year). The idea that starting in HS puts you at such a huge disadvantage is ridiculous. I'm sure it helps to start early and have a basic understanding, but if a kid wants to learn to play, they have plenty of time if they are dedicate and actually love football. Isn't that what they have 9th grade and JV teams for? To teach kids how to play so when they become juniors and seniors they can compete on the varsity team? Or do HS coaches just throw kids to the curb if they aren't amazing on day 1?

Not a ridiculous statement at all. If you start earlier you have a large advantage, therefore the people who don't are at a disadvantage. Pretty simple.

Not a ridiculous statement at all. If you start earlier you have a large advantage, therefore the people who don't are at a disadvantage. Pretty simple.

I mean, at such a disadvantage that you are so behind that you can't possibly learn and become better than the people who started before you. Obviously they are at a disadvantage, but it isn't close to insurmountable.

Obviously I would be stupid to deny there is an advantage. If your kid is a college level football player though, you aren't stunting his career in any way by waiting until he is in 9th grade to start playing. I'm sure there are millions of dads who just enter their kids in football as early as possible just wishing for their kids to be a football star. Your kid may not be the start of the JV team in 9th grade, or a 10th grade varsity starter, but if he really likes football and wants to learn, he will be just fine.

Last edited:
Also, I forgot one thing. If your kid is a BYU fan, you should DEFINATELY keep them away from football. You'll be doing them a big favor in saving them from years of embarrassment and humiliation.

While I can see where you're going with this, I disagree. Is it possible for a kid who's never played before HS to become a star, I think the chances are a lot smaller. They are at a huge disadvantage. I look at my high school team. All of the kids that played and got significant time all started young. There were a lot of seniors who only started playing in HS and couldn't even sniff the three deep on the JV level as a senior. Of course there will always be the kid who breaks that mold. But those that start young learn everything about it. They know what it feels like to be running down field on a kick off and get blind-sided by a blocker. They have already learned how to play with each other. And let's face it, the HS coaches already know who's been playing and what they're best at. Any HS coach who says he doesn't pay attention to the Pop Warner teams coming up is full of ****. My HS coach had installed who he wanted coaching the Pop Warner teams. Those teams were running the HS team offense and defense schemes. The kids who hadn't been playing were at a HUGE disadvantage.

I mean, at such a disadvantage that you are so behind that you can't possibly learn and become better than the people who started before you. Obviously they are at a disadvantage, but it isn't close to insurmountable.

Obviously I would be stupid to deny there is an advantage. If your kid is a college level football player though, you aren't stunting his career in any way by waiting until he is in 9th grade to start playing. I'm sure there are millions of dads who just enter their kids in football as early as possible just wishing for their kids to be a football star. Your kid may not be the start of the JV team in 9th grade, or a 10th grade varsity starter, but if he really likes football and wants to learn, he will be just fine.

I know I am late to this after my 1st initial response but you are wrong on so many levels on this arguement.

The 'knowledge' of the game takes time to learn. There is a reason you know Basketball better now then you did when you were in highschool. Can you imagine picking up a basketball for the first time when you were in 9th grade vs. as a young kid? Same philosophy. There is a reason the great golfers are great... they started young. I reciently picked up golf (7 years ago) mainly because I needed something to replace not playing Football/Basketball/Baseball like I did growing up. Even though I am an above average golfer (9 Handicap) I've been told that I am a rarity that I picked it up so quick. That took me 7 years to get to a single digit handicap.

There are HUGE advantages from learning a sport at a young age. And before you stay Football is nothing but going and tackling someone (Since you mentioned you dislike Football) that couldn't be further from the truth.

Someone also mentioned that the concussion and brain injuries in the NFL and NHL are much higher than other sports. I stand by my stance that there are more deaths also driving or more injuries from kids riding their bike every day.

This topic and responses suprised me as I expected many more to take the stance (As this is a sports forum) of the lessons learned in Football. Suprised to see that many will not allow their kids to play football.

Then again, it doesn't suprise me because our culture has developed into a 'Participation Trophy' for every kid which makes me sick. The reason for that is the parents and overprotecting feelings of our kids. I learned from a young age that hard work gets you where you want to go. Sometimes it will work out, sometimes not. I learned that from my Father (Military), Sports, and Friends in which we pushed ourselves to be better.

1. I have never said I didn't like Football. I love Football, just never had any urge to participate in it. The only team sport I like playing is Basketball.

Football just isn't on the same level as Baseball, Basketball, Golf, etc. in terms of skill. It is much easier for someone to pickup Football than it is any of those other sports. Not saying it is easier, but there is less of a learning curve. If you are big, strong and athletic, you can be good at Football. See Michael Oher.

1. I have never said I didn't like Football. I love Football, just never had any urge to participate in it. The only team sport I like playing is Basketball.

Football just isn't on the same level as Baseball, Basketball, Golf, etc. in terms of skill. It is much easier for someone to pickup Football than it is any of those other sports. Not saying it is easier, but there is less of a learning curve. If you are big, strong and athletic, you can be good at Football. See Michael Oher.

I don't even have words for this.....I'll agree with baseball since that's a difficult sport, but GTFO with the rest. You need just as much if not more skill to play football than basketball. You see kids that just started playing basketball 2 years ago playing major college ball all the time, hell...look at Bismack Biyombo, I think I remember that he just started playing at age 16. 3 years later and he's in the NBA.

I don't even have words for this.....I'll agree with baseball since that's a difficult sport, but GTFO with the rest. You need just as much if not more skill to play football than basketball. You see kids that just started playing basketball 2 years ago playing major college ball all the time, hell...look at Bismack Biyombo, I think I remember that he just started playing at age 16. 3 years later and he's in the NBA.

Hell look at Jimmy Graham. Played 3 years of college basketball and was a scrub. 1 year of college football and is one of the best TE in the NFL.

Hell look at Jimmy Graham. Played 3 years of college basketball and was a scrub. 1 year of college football and is one of the best TE in the NFL.

He also played football from a young age up through high school. We can both find exceptions to the rule, but to make the statement that all you need to do to exceed at football is be big, tough and fast is an idiotic statement.

He also played football from a young age up through high school. We can both find exceptions to the rule, but to make the statement that all you need to do to exceed at football is be big, tough and fast is an idiotic statement.

I didn't say that. I just said your kid's football career isn't going to be stunted by waiting until they start HS.

I didn't say that. I just said your kid's football career isn't going to be stunted by waiting until they start HS.

Excuse me? You said this.
If you are big, strong and athletic, you can be good at Football. See Michael Oher.
I can say that about every damn sport, if you're big, strong and athletic you can be good at basketball. See Shaquille O'Neal. If you're big, strong and athletic you can be good at baseball. See Prince Fielder, see Adam Dunn. If you're big, strong and athletic you can be good at golf. See John Daly. Ok that one was a joke, but I think you get my point.

If you start from an earlier age you learn more about the game and how to play it, if you start later you are behind other people. Therefore, you aren't as far ahead as you could have been if you started earlier. Therefore, you career has been stunted.

There's a reason they made a movie about that guy. It just doesn't happen that often.

This deserves it's own thread....wow

To play OT in the NFL takes not only a freak athlete but skill on so many levels.

I guess we will need to agree to disagree as my point of having your kids play football is no less risky as thing we do daily. I guess I better quit now and go put up the net around your trampoline as well.

This deserves it's own thread....wow

To play OT in the NFL takes not only a freak athlete but skill on so many levels.

I guess we will need to agree to disagree as my point of having your kids play football is no less risky as thing we do daily. I guess I better quit now and go put up the net around your trampoline as well.

I'm not taking sides of the current argument, but I'm REALLY curious as to the evidence that playing football (a contact sport) is no less risky than doing daily things.

There's a reason they made a movie about that guy. It just doesn't happen that often.

Former Jets RB Curtis Martin, who had an NFL record 10 straight 1000 yd seasons, only played football his senior year of high school.

Pretty sure Antonio Gates started in HS, didn't play in college at all and is now at top TE.

Adrian Peterson started football his Junior year of HS.

Dwayne Bowe didn't start til his Junior year of HS.

Google is awesome y'all.