What's new

Your kids in Football?

I like Cope played into college. (Dixie will never be the Red storm and always the Rebels. I digress) I'm also a current high school coach at Bonneville High School, and my opinion is this; If you're going to let your kids play football, make sure they are in it 100%. Make sure they are doing some type of yoga, weight lifting, and conditioning because the athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm also a fan of if a kid is going to play one sport, make sure they play multiple sports. All sports help deal with injury if they stay in shape. From my experience it's the kids who don't take sports seriously who end up hurt the most. Obviously freak accidents are going to happen, but it's a risk that a parent has to decide if they want their kid to take. One last thought Vince Papoli was the biggest freak to ever make the NFL not Micheal Oher. If you've seen Vince's movie, it's just incredieble a guy showed up to an open try out, and made the team.

I just want to reiterate that I don't think football is an easy sport anyone can pick up and play, just that waiting until your kid is in HS is not the end of the world.

1. I have never said I didn't like Football. I love Football, just never had any urge to participate in it. The only team sport I like playing is Basketball.

Let me get this straight. You didn't play organized football, at any level; yet you continue to spout off on how easy it is to pick up and how it's not a disadvantage to start later. Yep, you're pretty much talking out of your ***.
You brought up Oher as an example. While it's true he didn't start playing early, he's also been on record as saying the movie over-played how little he knew about football.

Let me get this straight. You didn't play organized football, at any level; yet you continue to spout off on how easy it is to pick up and how it's not a disadvantage to start later. Yep, you're pretty much talking out of your ***.
You brought up Oher as an example. While it's true he didn't start playing early, he's also been on record as saying the movie over-played how little he knew about football.

Once again twisting words. I said it was a disadvantage, just not a huge one that is insurmountable like some are making it out to be. Some make it sound like if someone hadn't played organized football before HS, they might as well not even try because they are so far behind.

But yes, mostly talking out of my ***. Learning to play Football isn't much different than learning to do other things. At age 14, kids are still very easily taught if they are willing, or maybe we should start teaching kids how to tackle at age 5? Think of what an advantage they will have by the time they start HS!

Former Jets RB Curtis Martin, who had an NFL record 10 straight 1000 yd seasons, only played football his senior year of high school.

Pretty sure Antonio Gates started in HS, didn't play in college at all and is now at top TE.

Adrian Peterson started football his Junior year of HS.

Dwayne Bowe didn't start til his Junior year of HS.

Google is awesome y'all.
You really think this proves anything? Think of the percentages you're dealing with here. For every name you bring up there are thousands upon thousands that didn't work out that way.

Common sense is awesome y'all.

You really think this proves anything? Think of the percentages you're dealing with here. For every name you bring up there are thousands upon thousands that didn't work out that way.

Common sense is awesome y'all.

For every name I brought up, there are other names that aren't popular enough for anyone to care about where the same thing happened (but on a lesser scale because they aren't NFL stars).

I like Cope played into college. (Dixie will never be the Red storm and always the Rebels. I digress) I'm also a current high school coach at Bonneville High School, and my opinion is this; If you're going to let your kids play football, make sure they are in it 100%. Make sure they are doing some type of yoga, weight lifting, and conditioning because the athletes are bigger, faster, and stronger. I'm also a fan of if a kid is going to play one sport, make sure they play multiple sports. All sports help deal with injury if they stay in shape. From my experience it's the kids who don't take sports seriously who end up hurt the most. Obviously freak accidents are going to happen, but it's a risk that a parent has to decide if they want their kid to take. One last thought Vince Papoli was the biggest freak to ever make the NFL not Micheal Oher. If you've seen Vince's movie, it's just incredieble a guy showed up to an open try out, and made the team.

Vince Papale was pretty good too.