What's new

Your off-season grades for D.L. and the Jazz (Poll)

Your off-season grade for the Jazz

• A+

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • A

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • B+

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • B

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • C

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • D+

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Release the Kraken

A lot happened this year right? Trying to gauge the state of Jazz Nation in the aftermath of the shell shocker. Where do you stand? Love to hear your rationale.

I'm going to go with B thanks mostly to what happened before free agency started.

Rubio and Mitchell are great additions and they came on two savvy moves by DL. The free agent acquistions weren't anything to write home about though. They're OK financially and will help deepen the bench, but they missed on bringing a real shooter / scorer which was far and away the biggest need in my opinion (it didn't have to be a 20 PPG guy either). They couldn't get anything from Boston on a S&T or move Diaw's UG contract for a small asset. I'm guessing there were options on the table and they didn't like them enough. In any case, a bit underwhelming on the FA front, and I would have given them a B+ or better if the shooting/scoring issue had been addressed at least to a certain degree.

D+ for me.

I can't give a passing grade to a GM that was so adamant about what he wanted in free agency to near on strike out.
Further, the whole year was spent making Gill and Wayward happy - and for what result?

Rubio - what was that? Hayward wanted him or DL was just joking that they were happy with a shoot first no penetration pg? They suddenly decided that they didn't want their pg to space the floor?

Getting rid of Lyles - in itself I think is incredibly short sighted - or just as bad, it means DL was way off with his lottery pick two years ago (bailing on a lottery pick after two years). Now the fact he picked up DM as a result kind of reduces this. But I would have almost preferred to give up Hood straight up and keep the pick.

Not being able to trade Burkes or Diaw - if that was his intention....

The other signings... hard to get that excited about.

If he extends Exum and/or Hood for a team friendly number I would happily give a C.

I am also conflicted with Ingles signing. I mean, according to Locke Ingles is a max 24-25 minute a night guy. So they invested 52 million in a bench guy. A guy who really worked most effectively with the two players that just left!!

D+

Last edited:
D+ for me.

I can't give a passing grade to a GM that was so adamant about what he wanted in free agency to near on strike out.
Further, the whole year was spent making Gill and Wayward happy - and for what result?

Rubio - what was that? Hayward wanted him or DL was just joking that they were happy with a shoot first no penetration pg? They suddenly decided that they didn't want their pg to space the floor?

Getting rid of Lyles - in itself I think is incredibly short sighted - or just as bad, it means DL was way off with his lottery pick two years ago (bailing on a lottery pick after two years). Now the fact he picked up DM as a result kind of reduces this. But I would have almost preferred to give up Hood straight up and keep the pick.

Not being able to trade Burkes or Diaw - if that was his intention....

The other signings... hard to get that excited about.

If he extends Exum and/or Hood for a team friendly number I would happily give a C.

I am also conflicted with Ingles signing. I mean, according to Locke Ingles is a max 24-25 minute a night guy. So they invested 52 million in a bench guy. A guy who really worked most effectively with the two players that just left!!

D+

I give your post a D maybe an F It's like the NBN of your posts, an ill constructed poorly thought out idea. 25 min a game players who are reasonably decent get 15 mil. Rubio is going to surprise you, even with ****ty shooting he just makes his team better. DL managed to find a potential star for Trey Lyles. And signed some ok guys for sloppy seconds. He was screwed over by pretty boy and that little white **** Ainge.

I expect far better from you Brutus.

I give your post a D maybe an F It's like the NBN of your posts, an ill constructed poorly thought out idea. 25 min a game players who are reasonably decent get 15 mil. Rubio is going to surprise you, even with ****ty shooting he just makes his team better. DL managed to find a potential star for Trey Lyles. And signed some ok guys for sloppy seconds. He was screwed over by pretty boy and that little white **** Ainge.

Lol.

Why didn't you respond to the OP?

But let me get defensive for a sec...

DL should've been far more aware of Hayward's intentions. Heck half this fan base sensed the disaster that was unfolding.

Further, I really like Rubio. But you missed my main point. How do you go from thinking Hill is the perfect fit for the team - to Rubio??? I mean how the ****?

Also. You think Lyles sucks. Now so does DL. But he didn't two years ago when he threw the #12 pick at him. I happened to think Lyles was probably the second most versatile offensive player on the roster. To trade him after two years is tantamount to labeling him a bust.

I think regarding Ingles' contract you're living in the Summer of 2016. How many bench guys got 13 million plus this year?

My 'defensible' opinion is DL gets a D+. Deal with it.

Well, your post really was that bad. I'm also giving you a F for your post. Coming away from this off season with an attitude of giving Lyles the benefit of the doubt and not DL is supremely asinine.

DL CHOSE ****ing LYLES

Maybe the mods could change the thread to - "How ****ed up is Brute's grading of DL?"

Voted B because there was no B-.

The draft was great, SL was great and I like the moves for depth that DL made. All good moves.

Not convincing Hayward to stay was a major fail, but it was probably a lost cause all along. So B works for me.

Not convincing Hayward to stay was a major fail, but it was probably a lost cause all along. So B works for me.

I'm pretty sure it was a lost cause. With all comments after the fact from players about not being surprised that Hayward left, the FO had to know what was going on. I'm becoming more and more convinced the entire July 3 trip to San Diego was at best a last gasp effort or at worst just a dog and pony show.

Bearing that in mind, I think the FO has done a decent job with the additions. Essentially swapping Rubio for Hill is a forward looking move and given the fact that Hayward left the right one. I'd take Hill over Rubio in most situations; but do we want to watch Hill every night have to jack up 15-20 shots a game to get Utah to 40 wins? Probably not.

Mitchell is looking like a home run. All I can say is thank God we get to watch this kid - otherwise The Jazz might be the most boring team in the NBA. Bradley looks like he might some day be a solid back-up center who could score - thinking Kevin Seraphin when he was on Washington.

Thabo, Jonas and Udoh are all decent if underwhelming moves. If you're going to fill out a roster then these are good guys to have and the team won't go into a total tailspin if Favors and Burks continue with their injury plagued ways.

Sadly, I can't give the FO that great a grade because I'm not buying into the final product. You can't be a great defensive team and not be, at least, a good offensive team. It's just not going to work in a league that does everything in can to facilitate scoring. I think The Jazz are going to constantly be in transition and constantly fouling to slow down the pace.

I hope I'm wrong but I think the 38.5 win projection is generous - I'm thinking more like 35.

I think D+ is about right, Rubio is a good pick up and Mitchell could be something, but its only summer league so i'm not wetting my pants just yet.

The Burks situation is a nightmare and his failure to sign a free agent who can produce some scoring is a glaring negative, so D+ for me, maybe a C cause the team has got stronger defensively. I'd have also like to have seen them make a move for a better back up for Rudy, to take some of the load off him down the stretch.

I give them a C

My reasoning is that they royally screwed up the Hayward thing by not reading the situation well. As a GM (one of only a select few jobs like this in the world) you have a difficult job in that you need to be able to judge player markets, player progression, and get a feel for when to cut bait on players and get assets in return. In this case DL failed badly to get any assets out of Hayward, or to build whatever Hayward wanted/needed to stay. So that part of the offseason was an F even though I respect DL, and think he is good.

After that disaster, I think DL did very well to go the route he has so far. Understanding that FA and trades are still possible, I think he has done a smart thing in letting the team give space for Hood, Exum, and Mitchell to develop offensively while keeping a core defensive philosophy. I would give perfect marks if they could find a way to trade Favors+pieces for some kind of better offensive option at 4. I fear we are going to lose another player for nothing if they don't trade him in the offseason.

Edit: I also liked the moves pre-Hayward. Joe is a nice piece to have. Mitchell was a good pick. Dropping Lyles was something some GM's would struggle with, and Rubio is just a good player either way.

It's tough to have a good grade overall, though, when you lose a star player for nothing.

Regardless the reason this is the first offseason we have lost a FA of significance to the open market, who we fully intended to keep, in franchise history so that has to knock the grade down quite a bit.

After the big miss though I'm happy with just about everything else. Lyles for Mitchell could be that laughable move talked about for years in our favor, Rubio could have a better overall impact on this team than Hill did (would've been more confident in that if Hay stayed), and the minor deals seem like guys who can contribute in spurts and we didn't have to overpay or sign them long term so our future is still flexible.

C+ overall for me

DL CHOSE ****ing LYLES

Maybe the mods could change the thread to - "How ****ed up is Brute's grading of DL?"

I give them a C

My reasoning is that they royally screwed up the Hayward thing by not reading the situation well. As a GM (one of only a select few jobs like this in the world) you have a difficult job in that you need to be able to judge player markets, player progression, and get a feel for when to cut bait on players and get assets in return. In this case DL failed badly to get any assets out of Hayward, or to build whatever Hayward wanted/needed to stay.

Seems to me That they traded Lyles might be saying more about Donovan than it does about Lyles.

I don't blame DL for Hayward leaving. I don't think DL would waste his time trying to get GH to stay if he did not think there was a realistic possibility and in that respect maybe that DL and the JAZZ were all in on retaining him says more about Hayward and his agent than it does about Lindsey and the FO.

Last edited:
Essentially swapping Rubio for Hill is a forward looking move and given the fact that Hayward left the right one. I'd take Hill over Rubio in most situations; but do we want to watch Hill every night have to jack up 15-20 shots a game to get Utah to 40 wins? Probably not.

I think you should also include Hill's reliability over the past two seasons juxtaposed with Ricky's. Missing Hill all season probably cost us the 3rd seed (projections did say we lost 9 wins to injury more than anyone else, so 60ish win team). We replaced Hill with Rubio who rates out according to various metrics as a better player than Hill thus helping us win more games. Also, we can reasonably expect him to play more games than Hill will next season (Hill injured a toe in November and was sitting out playoff games in May because of it.)

With good healthy Jazz probably win 45-50 games when you account for Hayward -11 win projection off 60 wins... West got tougher but also factor in internal development along with health as we did... and How good is Donovan? How do the new free agent signings make us better? Dante ready?

I think D+ is about right, Rubio is a good pick up and Mitchell could be something, but its only summer league so i'm not wetting my pants just yet.

The Burks situation is a nightmare and his failure to sign a free agent who can produce some scoring is a glaring negative, so D+ for me, maybe a C cause the team has got stronger defensively. I'd have also like to have seen them make a move for a better back up for Rudy, to take some of the load off him down the stretch.

You may be vastly underrating Udoh's defensive ability/versatility . Rim protector who can switch 1-5 and also has a book club. Count me in on this dude.

You may be vastly underrating Udoh's defensive ability/versatility . Rim protector who can switch 1-5 and also has a book club. Count me in on this dude.

The book club sells me, unless its Sci-Fi and fantasy, he can **** off to Comic Con if it is.

B+.

I don't blame then for #coward leaving, I think they were lead on if anything.

Bounced back well, signed some nice peices, DM is a stud and Rubio is a good addition, at great price, could do great things with Rudy.

Moving up 11 spots for Trey "bum" Lyles was the move of the draft also.

DL couldn't have anticipated Lyles attitude completely digressing to a whiny child not being able to play super mario brothers. Lyles didn't put the work in to get better. Look at his software engineer physique.

Going with Rubio made the Jazz younger and allows their core to develop and peak towards the end of the Warriors dynasty.

Which free agent/player traded would have moved the needle enough to push the Jazz to the next level? Butler? George? C3P0? Any other move would have been a lateral move.
The rest of the team needs time to grow as evident by the 4-0 demolishing.

Glam Hounds ability to push the Jazz to the next level was capped out. The rest of the team needs time to grow as evident by the 4-0 demolishing. LBJ has upper tier talent around him and they were pancaked.

At least, the Jazz were not hostage to a max contract that realistically did not make them any better.