What's new

Your off-season grades for D.L. and the Jazz (Poll)

Your off-season grade for the Jazz

• A+

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • A

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • B+

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • B

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • C+

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • C

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • D+

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
I think D+ is about right, Rubio is a good pick up and Mitchell could be something, but its only summer league so i'm not wetting my pants just yet.

The Burks situation is a nightmare and his failure to sign a free agent who can produce some scoring is a glaring negative, so D+ for me, maybe a C cause the team has got stronger defensively. I'd have also like to have seen them make a move for a better back up for Rudy, to take some of the load off him down the stretch.
What is "the burks situation" and what does burks have to do with what DL did this off season?

I wish there was an incomplete option. I can't say how the off season was until i see a few things happen

- mitchell - if he gets playing time and shines then that will improve the grade.
- Rubio - His fit with this team will also speak volumes. I am a little disappointed that we spent a first round pick on Hill and now he is gone but considering the money he lost kind of makes me laugh.
- O'Neale - His defense might get him some playing time and if his shot is falling he could be an invaluable piece to the Jazz and he is still young at 24
- Udoh - Loved the signing and I wanted him after watching the euro league final four. IF he spells Gobert for 15 to 18 minutes a night with solid rebound and defense this signing is a win.

IF all the above happened i would give an a-.

Haynerd's "Indecision" hurt. But I think Dennis O'Lindsey rebounded well. He didn't overreact by signing a marginal player to a long-term near max deal, he didn't gut the team of the familiar players, nor did he trade Favors or Burks for 10-cents on the dollar.

His response following the "Indecision" shows Lindsey is cool, calculating and controlled. I applaud his approach to signing veterans to 2-year deals. It makes the contract tradeable, does not allow the player to get comfortable (the player is auditioning for his next contract), and it does not tie the Jazz down. If a superstar became available the Jazz have the pieces to make a trade.

I graded him down to a B+ because of the Tony Bradley pick. I felt like there were multiple wing/skill players at the end of the draft who could have made a more immediate impact (my favorite was Semi). I don't understand drafting an old school style center project when the league is going smaller and the team has the best center in the league. There are multiple serviceable bigs available (see Epke for example) who can play right away, and the market for bigs is only going to become more diluted in the next two-years.

That being said, Dennis is a pretty smart guy, and knows way more about his team, and the league so I am ready to be shown the error in my thinking.

B+.
Even if DL thought Hayward was going to leave, do you think he would have gotten any good assets from Boston last year? Second, it would have been a PR nightmare to trade your best player, who had not uttered a peep about being unhappy or wanting to go elsewhere.

DL pivoted as fast as he could after Hayward FINALLY published his manifesto. Lindsey reportedly heard about on a flight back from the East, so he was working on contingency plans.

Rubio: not DL's fault Hill was demanding a Brink's truck. He made use of the 2016 cap space to show Hayward he had a PG who could set up Gordon for some easier looks. He didn't wait around hoping Hill would reduce his price. A

Mitchell: trading up from 24 to 11 is near impossible without giving up another good asset. Ok, he made a mistake 2 yrs ago drafting Lyles. He moved on, traded up AND gets one of the steals of the draft. A++

Ingles: done to try to keep Hayward. If Ingles maintains his 3PT %, He is very tradeable if Jazz need cap space. B

FA signings: good, solid backups who fit the defense-first philosophy. No stupid contracts. This is VERY important if Utah keeps both Dante and Rodney. C for talent, B+ for one-year + option deals.

Not trading Diaw: immaterial. A partner didn't materialize. DL didn't need Diaws contract to trade for Rubio. And he signed FA's instead of trading for veterans. No demerit for this.

Giving up Hood for Mitchell would have been preferred to giving up Lyles and the #24 pick?

That's the most idiot thing I've read in a while.

I gave a B grade. I don't think a GM has any more persuasive power with 99% of the league than to put together a good team around a player and offer them the best contract. DL did both. Hayward split anyway, likely having made up his mind years ago. I think Rubio's a modest upgrade over Hill. Mitchell looks like the schnizzle. Bradley I could see actually contributing in a year or two (as opposed to Lyles or Bolomboy, both of whom I was really pulling for -- no idea whatsoever happened to Lyles' motivation at the end of the season). And then the parade came to town with the signings of all the vets. Gobert is certainly good enough to build around, and has been very vocal about wanting to turn the Jazz into a contender. It won't happen this year barring Curry tripping and breaking the legs of all his teammates who then all fall into the Rockets and break all their legs causing several other teams to vomit so uncontrollably they all give themselves inoperable hernias. But with some good luck (we're due), some player development (which we do well), and some assets for future trades (which we have), I think he did pretty well.

Hayward left. So that's an F

The Jazz did really good in the draft, so I give them an A (still salty we were 1 pick away from Kuzma).

The Jazz did solid in FA, so I give them a B.

I average all of those to a C+

Giving up Hood for Mitchell would have been preferred to giving up Lyles and the #24 pick?

That's the most idiot thing I've read in a while.
Agree. Must have a thing for Lyles, who was given every opportunity to be successful and failed. Trey could have seized the starting job from Favors, but was completely disinterested.

And he was a sieve defensively. That's not the team philosophy Quin and DL want to instill.

Agree. Must have a thing for Lyles, who was given every opportunity to be successful and failed. Trey could have seized the starting job from Favors, but was completely disinterested.

And he was a sieve defensively. That's not the team philosophy Quin and DL want to instill.

It was clear at the beginning of the season that he had not worked on his body or his shot. AT ALL. Just a complete **** show of a 2nd season.

Enjoy some caviar in Denver, sweety pie.

What is "the burks situation" and what does burks have to do with what DL did this off season?

Paying Burks 10.5 million to play basketball makes about as much sense as paying me 10 bucks to model for Victoria Secret, sure I've got a great pair of fun bags but i really don't want to see it. DL should have offloaded him somewhere, anywhere!

Paying Burks 10.5 million to play basketball makes about as much sense as paying me 10 bucks to model for Victoria Secret, sure I've got a great pair of fun bags but i really don't want to see it. DL should have offloaded him somewhere, anywhere!

What if the best offer out there is only being able to move him if we include a 1st round pick? The only way LAL were able to offload Mozgov's contract was to include the #2 pick from a couple years back. If the asking price to dump Burks was too high why pull the trigger?

What if the best offer out there is only being able to move him if we include a 1st round pick? The only way LAL were able to offload Mozgov's contract was to include the #2 pick from a couple years back. If the asking price to dump Burks was too high why pull the trigger?

Obviously you don't want to do a bad deal, (unless you're Brooklyn) whats he got? two years left on his contract? I was really hoping at the close of last season he wouldn't be back this season.

DL was a Genius in the draft DM and TB solid pick. Signing Rubio was a great move Hayward here or not,he makes the game exciting ,loves to run and thats what we will do alot of.Got hoodwinked by Hayward because they trusted him.After the Coward left to go greener pastures we had no big signings left. The Genius again was to sign Jerekbo who I think will be awesome in his time on the court,said he cant wait to play Boston.Sefelosha has heart and will provide great veteran glue for this team.I think DL knows you will need a lot of bodies to compete with this years rules and he has done that.this team will be more fun to watch than last year and I am stoked. an A for you DL.

Draft :
Mitchell : very good potential A-
Bradley : not NBA ready but the potential's there B

Trade :
Rubio : for Kanter's draft pick B+

FA :
Ingles : I'd have prefered 33M/3y but well... C+
Hayward : I see the good side, 30M saved D
Hill : 6M saved C
Mack : B
Withey : probably a mistake C
Sefolosha : good defender with experience : C+
Jerebko : meh...C-
Udoh : meh (2) C-
Diaw : good decision A-
Griffin : interesting B-
O'Neal : I don't know C-

Overall :
C+

F

Haywood's gone and the next rebuild is on the horizon. He should have traded fenceward mid-season to the Celtics when it was obvious he wasn't staying.

It takes two teams to make a trade happen. Maybe instead if trading burks and giving a draft pick to a team for nothing in return will be worse than what happens with burks going forward.

I'd have given up 2 second rounders to get rid of him.
And if DL trades burks in February and gets a 1st round pick in return then your plan would look pretty dumb.
Or if burks plays well and contributes to winning games while on a cheap contract then your plan will look dumb.

Hell, even if burks never gets on the court your plan doesn't look very good. Sometimes 2nd round picks turn into Paul Millsap or Isiah thomas.