What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Not sure 1yr deals are great "expirings" after the moratorium. Most teams looking to make those deals would want to do so to clear 2019 space. At the deadline in 2020 "expirings" might have value. But tbh, the 2020 FA's aren't knocking anyone's socks off. Maybe as a way to avoid luxury tax, especially if a team could get under the tax by trading away players within the 125% rule and not taking back the full value in incoming salaries.
Yeah, Favors and Korver have very little trade value unless it's for a really bad expiring player (Parsons, Anderson, etc) or for some team who wants to dump a decent player who has a bad long contract (Love, Conley, Olynyk, etc).

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

LoPo, just MHO, but I don't see "dumping" of a contract as netting much value. Teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc could all take on salaries. We're not getting a 1st rounder for taking on Parsons Anderson, etc. Conley would have been nice, but now we'll be looking at 1 season less and at a greater price (can no longer throw in Rubio). I don't see us going that route. I see Lindsey/Zanik looking at player X for Derrick and our 1st rounder at the deadline. Hopefully they don't zero in on just one player. That's one of the reasons Memphis played chicken with Lindsey. They knew that was it for him. Zanik needs to have two deals on the table and play the teams against each other. First team to call him back gets a deal.

LoPo, just MHO, but I don't see "dumping" of a contract as netting much value. Teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc could all take on salaries. We're not getting a 1st rounder for taking on Parsons Anderson, etc. Conley would have been nice, but now we'll be looking at 1 season less and at a greater price (can no longer throw in Rubio). I don't see us going that route. I see Lindsey/Zanik looking at player X for Derrick and our 1st rounder at the deadline. Hopefully they don't zero in on just one player. That's one of the reasons Memphis played chicken with Lindsey. They knew that was it for him. Zanik needs to have two deals on the table and play the teams against each other. First team to call him back gets a deal.
I wasn't saying I would do a trade of Favors for Parsons. I was just illustrating that Favors doesn't have much trade value at that $18 million.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I get that we can't take any salary back for Derrick. However, Clayton didn't mention the other side of the equation. Is Derrick's value for the incoming team $0? I can't believe that would be a loophole left open. Since we'd still be in the current NBA year, I'd bet money that his incoming value could very well be his current salary or next season's. So team X would need to have the cap space open to make the trade (within the 125%) and then would be in the same position - they could either keep him or waive him to open up cap space. I couldn't find that side of the equation mentioned in the Cap FAQ's. Would welcome someone who can find a ruling on it, or example from a previous season under the most recent CBA agreement.
It would have to be straight up for a pick, rights, or as a throw-in in a larger trade. I don't see why those rights couldn't fetch a 2nd from a good team by itself.

I think you are likely looking for a team above the cap, otherwise, a team could just swipe him off the waiver wire or sign him to a new and likely cheaper per-year deal.

“How do[es] they/he help the Jazz beat Houston or Golden State?”

That’s a fantastic question, and a question I hope they sincerely ask themselves if/when they opt to guarantee Favors.
You mean the guy that is virtually unplayable as anything but a backup?

That’s a fantastic question, and a question I hope they sincerely ask themselves if/when they opt to guarantee Favors.
Golden State needed a miracle finish to nip us at the buzzer the first week, so the Jazz have talent.

Ha, I don’t get it either. Even if we don’t sign anyone worth while, we are better off cutting ties.

Just spitballing, and it’s probably a long shot whether the jazz and Celtics could be trade partners, but the Celtics don’t need another draft pick, and they are probably losing Kyrie which puts Rozier as the starter. But Favors for their 14th pick might be doable assuming 1. Horford can play the 4. 2. The Celtics aren’t trading for Davis.

Favors give them an inside presence on both sides of the court and a great pick’n roll big. I think he could make them a much better team, even while losing Kyrie, but I’m sure this is a long shot to happen.

Anyone think it’s possible?
I think it's possible but I think the Celtics would be more likely to flip their picks + filler for Conley than trade for Favors.

I get that we can't take any salary back for Derrick. However, Clayton didn't mention the other side of the equation. Is Derrick's value for the incoming team $0?

No, it's the full, guaranteed amount. the outgoing value and the incoming value are vastly different.

Nice work. One of my least favorite things is when someone is like "that move doesn't get us past GS" then why do anything outside of getting KD or Klay or Kemba etc.?

Pivoting from Favors at $18M next season to someone like Rudy Gay at $18M on a one year deal would get us closer. If we bring Favs back and let Ricky go I'm not sure the other stuff we do will make us better as a team. Individual player development may make up for the loss, but bringing back essentially the same team minus Ricky ain't progress. Save flexibility for next year for what? FA crop sucks and there will be just as much or more money on the market. Another small cap jump and all the bad 2016 deals are now done.

Save flexibility for next year for what?
The beautiful oasis of untapped talent. It's there. Just around the corner.

A-dreamstime_xxl_23971088_qlym7s.jpg

dangling-a-carrot-saying-cartoon-vector-1825913.jpg

The beautiful oasis of untapped talent. It's there. Just around the corner.

A-dreamstime_xxl_23971088_qlym7s.jpg

dangling-a-carrot-saying-cartoon-vector-1825913.jpg

I would have investigated keeping Favs long term, but to do that we needed a point guard that could shoot. Sticking with Rudy, Ricky, Favs lineups so long didn't give us a chance to definitively say Favs and Rudy doesn't work. HOWEVER... we have enough data to say it is not ideal and trade that lineup in for something else.

I think we pivot... I think TJ is tight with Favs. I think we are torn on it, but that we know what needs to happen.